(update: announced) Glimpse of the next W20 phone - New Samsung Galaxy Z flip details

williamcll
Update:

After the turbulent release of the galaxy fold, Samsung is set to release the next model of folding Android phone that has been mentioned a few times the past few months.  Will cost 1379.99 USD and has similar specs to the OnePlus 7T

The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will probably be announced on February 11. That’s when Samsung is holding its big smartphone event for the first half of the year and where we’re expecting to see the Samsung Galaxy S20 range, so it’s an obvious candidate. It’s also something we’ve heard from a leaker, who added that the phone would be available to buy from February 14.

However, that’s not the only possible announcement date. The Galaxy Z Flip could alternatively land at MWC 2020, which takes place at the end of February. That has also been put forward by a source, albeit in an earlier leak.

And yet another source has said to expect a new Samsung foldable in April, but this claim is older still. Further confusing matters is that some of these sources could be talking about the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2, as that will probably also land sometime this year. With all that in mind, our best guess is February 11, as the most recent leak points to that date, and it’s also the only one to mention the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip by name. As for what the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will cost, the latest leak there points to £1,300 (around $1,700 / AU$2,530), while the same source as the February 11 announcement date said to expect a price of $1,400 (roughly £1,075 / AU$2,075).

As for the screen, several sources have now said it’s a 6.7-inch one, which would make it smaller than the 7.3-inch Galaxy Fold. The most detailed of these leaks adds that the display has a 1,080 x 2,636 resolution and a 22:9 aspect ratio. Another leak adds that it will have a Dynamic AMOLED screen and that there will be a fingerprint scanner on the side of the phone. As with so much about the phone, some of the earlier leaks linked above refer to it as the Samsung Galaxy Fold 2, but we now believe they were talking about the Z Flip, as the leaks line up with recent leaks that mention the Galaxy Z Flip by name.

We’ve also heard multiple times that the Galaxy Z Flip will use ‘Ultra Thin Glass’, sometimes referred to as UTG. This could make the device slimmer, but is likely to have plastic layered over the top to make it more durable. The phone is said to also have a small screen that’s visible when the main display is folded shut. This is apparently a 1.06-inch 116 x 300 one, so will probably mostly just be used for checking the time and notifications.

The latest significant specs leak points to the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip having a Snapdragon 855 Plus chipset, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage, with no microSD card slot, no 5G, and no 3.5mm headphone port. The most notable thing there is that chipset, which while being one of the best in any phone at the time of writing, is likely to be superseded by the chipsets in most of the early 2020 flagships, including the Galaxy S20. So including it here marks the Galaxy Z Flip out as a slightly lower end phone, despite the inevitably high price.

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-galaxy-z-flip

Thoughts: Well it does look a bit more refined than the W20 5G (the more sealed Galaxy Fold), I don't think there will be a revolutionary design to stop dust ingress for this model.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Alibaba already has it on sale ?

Spoiler

No, really guys, I just can't unsee that W20 as being a pocket make-up mirror

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

May as well go deep sea diving, find a clam, bring back home, take the pearl out of it and sell it, then put the now dead clam in your pocket. Because that's all this phone is, a clunky clam shell phone with the fragility of Linus's ego.

I kinda like it. If we can have surfboards for phones they may as well be ones that fold up to not take up loads of space

That's an F in the profile pic

I mean cool but really unnecessary though, no function or purpose brought to the table. It's just much thicker thing to hold in you r pocket twther than slim device. But yeah eventually it will get better, but depends too. For tablets it will be much more interesting them being much larger. Or like what MS may show. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

the z flip gives me the same vibes as the new motorola razr and to a lesser extent the energizer phone, the hype will be huge, the company(ies) will put huge investment into it and then 4% of their customers will buy them.

18 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

the z flip gives me the same vibes as the new motorola razr and to a lesser extent the energizer phone, the hype will be huge, the company(ies) will put huge investment into it and then 4% of their customers will buy them.

They're probably not expecting huge sales.  These are 'halo' phones that are designed to get you excited about the brand (and help prepare for the future) while making some money in the process.  Samsung knows full well that many customers will eagerly check out the Galaxy Z Flip in a store, balk at the price... and promptly buy a Galaxy S20.

Think of it like you would cars like the Chevy Corvette or Nissan GT-R.  The companies know that only a handful of their customers will ever buy those, but the cars aren't about making a direct profit or market dominance; they're about getting you into the showroom.

I mean it looks pretty cool and it brings me back to the younger days, but is it actually comfortable to use it? 

Weird, my prototype looks a little different /s
Image result for gameboy advance sp closed

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

Update: will cost 1379.99 USD on release.

2636x1080 8GB RAM Snapdragon 855+ 3300Mah battery 

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-z-flip/specs/

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It looks like a shitty razr, no proper outer screen kinda sucks, just bending an s10 in half is also a weird decision, at least motorla is as thick as a regular phone, not 2x

geez, there is even a selfie camera there, which kills half the purpose of a folding phone... Wtf were samsung thinking, is this shit just a rushed response to the razr? Coz ux wise it seems half-baked just from the look of it

I just watched Techlinked on it...

I have a "prediction". You are not going to like it.

Samsung had nailed the market with it. It will sell a ton. It's a hands free Selfie phone. ?

Bad news, we are doomed.

Good news, lots of cash to Samsung for RND in nice flexible screens and battery tech?!

• 2 weeks later...