Cleaning up/recovery of "Smoke Damaged" items

Beerzerker

This is a vid I recorded a few years ago that shows how some items can be cleaned and reused if it's filthy due to what's known as smoke damage.

The following is a short list of what's needed; obviously this can and will change depending on what item(s) are to be cleaned. The example here applies to case fans and goes as the video will show.

Also note that my instruction will apply to the exact cleaner I used and it's called "Clorox Cleanup - Cleaner + Bleach".

Do not expect identical or even similar results with a different cleaner used or the above named cleaner being used differently than outlined by the following.

The setup:

1: Prepare an area for the work to be done, be sure to have a place with running water closeby if possible.

2: Supplies: 

Have paper towels onhand and I suggest to wear rubber gloves for this  - The cleaner will work on your hands if you don't wear the gloves.

Also if needed (Depending on what you are working on) WD40 to use for driving out moisture once removed from the container and rinsed.

3: Have a plastic container of sufficient size and depth to submerge the items to be cleaned if wanting to do it that way.

Note that the cleaner can be used in a more traditional way as well while still being effective.

4: The cleaner itself with water to mix it with, I used approximately 1 part cleaner to 3 parts water in the video.

5: Something smoke damaged (Nasty) to clean.......

** CAUTION - Although many things can be submerged, DO NOT EVER under any circumstance attempt to submerge a power supply (PSU)

due to the very high risk of electrocution/shock hazard they carry! **

================================================================================================================================

The following is the complete process I used to clean these fans with and includes what wasn't recorded by the camera.

1: First thing I do is to prepare the work area for use and make sure all suggested supplies are present and ready.

Depending on the exact item I clean will determine what is needed and this should be done on an "Per Item" basis.

2: Next I'll place the container where I want it to be and pour in the correct amount of cleaner, followed by the water I add in.

With the mix shown in the vid it's about a 3 to 1 ratio as mentioned.

Make sure if possible to wear gloves, the cleaner will irritate the skin quickly. 

That's one reason why you want the work area to be close to running water but also for quickly rinsing off the items as they are removed from the mix.   

**The cleaner WILL tend to attack copper and other similar metals so quick, thorough rinsing is crucial here.**

3: Dunk the items and if you can, "Swish" them around for about 20 to 30 seconds and then remove.

4: Examine the items and be sure they were cleaned as desired, then quickly rinse them off, inside and out if that should apply.

5: If you must, spray WD40 in and on to drive out the water and any leftover cleaner mix.

Be certain any copper pieces gets coated right away to help preserve them but shoudn't be a problem to do.

6: In the case of fans as shown, be sure they still turn smoothly and that the motor windings were competely soaked with the WD40.

Flip upside down and allow to drain completely once done.

7: Again in the case of fans, you'd then use a light oil such as 3&1 and flood the motor again with it. 

Let it sit and be sure you spin the fan a bit before draining it as well to work the oil in. 

Let the fan sit upside down overnight for the oil to drain out onto something that will catch the oil.

8: When you pick up the fan(s) be sure to wipe off any excess oil and be sure the fanblades are clear of it too. You can then plug those into a fan header to test.

I show the cleaning process performed in real time and this video is hosted on my personal channel.

Cleanup - YouTube

EDIT:

This is a pic of the fans in use after the cleaning was done - They look great!

DSCF5197.JPG.b6d22b9219b086b9dcc306f94b8f5ddb.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.