Eps12v adapters and cables

I'm condensing my current servers from 7 to 4. I have a lot of older inefficient units. I've got a 2x2011 and a 2x1366. Planning to do a 2nd 2x1366 and a single lga1150.

Most psus that have 2 eps plugs are 750+ watts or $100+ I don't need that much power for 2 of the machines because they are simply compute units with only USB operating systems with single sata storage.

I use rosewill hive and EVGA supernova  units now

I'd like to just get simple 500w units EVGA has b stock for $45

Has anyone used a pci-e to eps adapter or can recommend one?

Decent cheeper psu brand?

i9 9820x @4.2 - MSI X299 Sli plus - 32gb Quad DDR4 G.skill3400 - MSI Gaming x 2070 Super - EVGA 1300 SupernovaG2 Gold -  500NVME WD Blue & Optane 32gb + WD Blue4tb - Enermax 360Aio - Vigor GK80 - MSI DS200 - Dual MSI Mag 271R

building - supermicro x9 - e5-2660 128gbddr3

supermicro x8 - e5648 24gb ddr3

A good rule of thumb is that if your PSU needs adapters, it's not suitable for that rig.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

A good rule of thumb is that if your PSU needs adapters, it's not suitable for that rig.

Well I don't need 750w+ for 2 90w processors and a ssd. I just need a second eps12v plug. Instead of all the other peripherals

Why 500w psus have 6 8,pin pcie plugs, 9sata, and 8 molex, but they come that way. 

i9 9820x @4.2 - MSI X299 Sli plus - 32gb Quad DDR4 G.skill3400 - MSI Gaming x 2070 Super - EVGA 1300 SupernovaG2 Gold -  500NVME WD Blue & Optane 32gb + WD Blue4tb - Enermax 360Aio - Vigor GK80 - MSI DS200 - Dual MSI Mag 271R

so you want to convert a 150w plug into a 384w connector? what could go wrong?

everything

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

so you want to convert a 150w plug into a 384w connector? what could go wrong?

everything

what would be super impressive is how you try and compare the draw from a card vs the gauge of the wire. I didn't intend for the thread to become so condescending so fast but even simple mathematics on a 500w unit would never be able to produce the wattage to surpass the wiring itself unless there was a dead short in one of the wires. when the board fans and processors only consume 350w total. even on an 90w processor your still not passing that typical draw from a graphics card on a pci-e plug. just like you using a 650 on your pc and pulling close to 400w. maybe you should swap out for a 1200w unit... can never be to safe with that super powerful hardware.

On a single rail unit it doesn't matter what plugs you use it's all coming from the same place

the questing for this thread was for people who have used one, or recommend a decent cheep psu.

6 hours ago, brokebeardedguy said:

what would be super impressive is how you try and compare the draw from a card vs the gauge of the wire

no, i'm comparing specifications of pcie and eps, which have a totally different pinout as well

as well as those adapters getting hot, allowing voltage drops easier and worsening voltage sensing

but of course... if you don't want help, i'll happily spend my time elsewhere

On 2/3/2020 at 5:39 AM, LukeSavenije said:

no, i'm comparing specifications of pcie and eps, which have a totally different pinout as well

as well as those adapters getting hot, allowing voltage drops easier and worsening voltage sensing

but of course... if you don't want help, i'll happily spend my time elsewhere

different pinout, yes that's why they make adapters.

getting hot? you must be new to the world of copper wires, see a wire doesn't know or care what its hooked up to, it doesn't have feelings about what it does. its simply a matter of total wattage. 16gga wire is ratted for the same power going to a pci-e connector to a eps connector to a Molex connector. 16ga wire is 16ga. if the wires are 18ga or 20ga yes it would matter. 

also why I asked for people who have used them to make a brand recommendation for ones that aren't cheep. if I could find just eps12v ends I would stick my own on the end of a psu but I haven't found a store just selling the tips. good copper connections and quality wires should have little drop if any at all. plenty of brands can use quality components with out charging for the name.

what you did was not offer help, you offered a smart ass comment that added no intelligent dialog to the conversation. comments like yours is exactly why people are afraid to ask for help in forms in fear of sounding stupid and belittled. maybe you should rethink how you respond and asses if it would really help anything or if it just makes you sound like an ass

7 hours ago, brokebeardedguy said:

getting hot? you must be new to the world of copper wires, see a wire doesn't know or care what its hooked up to, it doesn't have feelings about what it does

no, unlike you I've seen these things happen on a chroma

but okay, good luck

5 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

no, unlike you I've seen these things happen on a chroma

but okay, good luck

even with proper hardware I've seen a processor short and burn a hole clean through motherboard into the case.  

I have also seen a man thrown 30 ft  from a high-voltage line.

Sometimes things happen even when all the safety measures are followed.

It would be one thing if you were truly overloading the transformers or capacitors in question or pushing them to their maximum limit. But 350 Watts on a 500-watt rated supply should not be an issue. When you step away from buying things to plug together and start with design and development of pcbs you develop a different understanding of how components and subsystems work if you don't have any first-hand experience it's completely okay to say hey I don't know but I advise against it.

When I find what I'm happy with or just the end of the pigtail I'll make my own I'm I can even post status updates for some info for anyone that might need it in the future

24 minutes ago, brokebeardedguy said:

even with proper hardware I've seen a processor short and burn a hole clean through motherboard into the case.  

I have also seen a man thrown 30 ft  from a high-voltage line.

Sometimes things happen even when all the safety measures are followed.

It would be one thing if you were truly overloading the transformers or capacitors in question or pushing them to their maximum limit. But 350 Watts on a 500-watt rated supply should not be an issue. When you step away from buying things to plug together and start with design and development of pcbs you develop a different understanding of how components and subsystems work if you don't have any first-hand experience it's completely okay to say hey I don't know but I advise against it.

When I find what I'm happy with or just the end of the pigtail I'll make my own I'm I can even post status updates for some info for anyone that might need it in the future

Luke's point isn't that you're putting a 350w load on a 500w PSU, it's that you're putting a 384w load on a 150w connector. What part of "you will be putting a load on components not designed for said load" don't you understand? Just buy a proper power supply for $150, or prepare to buy a new house for tens if not hundreds of thousands.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Luke's point isn't that you're putting a 350w load on a 500w PSU, it's that you're putting a 384w load on a 150w connector. What part of "you will be putting a load on components not designed for said load" don't you understand? Just buy a proper power supply for $150, or prepare to buy a new house for tens if not hundreds of thousands.

and my reply is simply its the same plastic, copper, rubber in all the wires they produce. on a single rail power supply all the power comes from the same place vs multi rail units where sata, pci, molex, can come off different rails. understating wiring diagrams and schematics can help you a lot in life especially when your fixing stuff they no longer make parts for being able to decide what you can change or substitute for other components. nothing I've built in the over 30+ years has failed do changing and modifying components

even if the processor draws all of its power from the 8pin, 90w is still not 150. nor 235w for a max for a single eps12v plug... not sure where the 384 comes from.

and its not just buying a power supply for 150 its buying 3 for 450 vs 180. its a big difference at this point I'm done going back and forth because there's no logical reason if I was running a 2011v4 or threadripper or newer xeon I could see concern for total draw potential but from the two of you there has been no real valid reason not to except for "I think it will be bad"

having peak power ratings are max loads that can be sustained for short burst and you have running loads or duty cycles that let you know what the duration for draw vs total load is. education on components can be a lot of fun and might help you one day to repair something that needs fixed

(ps, let me know where you can buy a house for 10's of thousands didn't know that was still a thing.) legit not trying to be a dick... a cheep place around here is 180k