Are tower type AM3 compatible coolers also compatible with FM2+?

Go to solution Solved by it_dont_work,

in this case yes it'll fit. spacing on the locking tabs are the same on am2/3+ and fm2 (and am4 i think but can't attest to since i haven't tried)

I'm looking at this cooler here because it has some nice lights: https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/fryst-almace-rgb-heatsink-fan-cpu-cooler-amd-and-intel-motherboard-supported-socket-lga-775115x1366-am4am3am2754939940-supported-i578558556-s1579054619.html

It doesn't say it's compatible with FM2+ in the description, but it is compatible with AM3, which I've heard has the same mounting brackets as FM2+.

So it should be compatible with an FM2+ processor, right? Just trying to make sure. Thanks. :)

in this case yes it'll fit. spacing on the locking tabs are the same on am2/3+ and fm2 (and am4 i think but can't attest to since i haven't tried)

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

Great, thanks!

22 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

You are correct, if it uses the the clamping/locking arm then the coolers are inter-compatible across AM2/3/4 and FM2. 

Just as a point to anyone reading this if the cooler uses through hole mounting with a back-plate it will almost certainly not me compatible. Although at least one AM4 motherboard has AM3 mounting holes, but the exact model has slipped my mind.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

14 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

You are correct, if it uses the the clamping/locking arm then the coolers are inter-compatible across AM2/3/4 and FM2. 

Just as a point to anyone reading this if the cooler uses through hole mounting with a back-plate it will almost certainly not me compatible. Although at least one AM4 motherboard has AM3 mounting holes, but the exact model has slipped my mind.

Thought so, although if a reader needs to know we were not talking about anything besides the stock mounting bracket, the depths of human stupidity would astound me 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige