Windows 10 License Transfer

TooCubed

Hello

I want to completly wipe (get a new SSD) for a computer that I am giving avay. I plan to use a USB drive w/ installation media to install windows (same version). The question is, will the original licence transfer?

Thanks in advance

If you bought an OEM license, it's tied to the motherboard you installed Windows on. If it's a retail license, then you don't technically have to do anything other than make sure there's only one Windows activated with that license.

You can also tie licenses to your Microsoft account and it'll follow you to whatever Windows install you sign into using your Microsoft account.

So because the computer is a prebuilt from Acer, as long as the components stay the same (excluding the drive), the licence will still transfer?

3 minutes ago, TooCubed said:

So because the computer is a prebuilt from Acer, as long as the components stay the same (excluding the drive), the licence will still transfer?

Yup. Did the exact same thing you're doing, but with an OEM Asus prebuilt. Install Windows and it will automatically activate, without you even doing anything.

2 minutes ago, TooCubed said:

The license is tied to the motherboard. You can swap out everything else except that and still be fine.