Should I get a new PC or upgreading the cpu and the gpu?

Forum_user

So my computer has been running really slow and I just had enough of my conputer being slow.

(Specs:

CPU i3-4130k

GPU GT 630

RAM 8GB DDR3

Motherboard h81m-k

Monitor 1680x1050 60hz monitor)

I have done some research that I can switch to i7-4790k, but I don't know it's true.

All of my PC parts are outdated, but would it cost less if I switch the CPU and GPU out? Or should I get a new PC with a new monitor?

Sure you can upgrade to a 4790/k. Whether you do that or build an entirely new system is up to you.

We don't know what you use your system for though.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Sure you can upgrade to a 4790/k. Whether you do that or build an entirely new system is up to you.

We don't know what you use your system for though.

Well, I use the PC mostly for gaming, recording and editing videos. The performance really lacks when I record videos and rendering takes a lot of time.

I would say it depends on what kind of price you can get on a 4790k. If you can get a good deal on one, sure, but on Ebay they seem to go for around $200- at that price you're better off going to a newer platform.

Not a lot of point putting a K series CPU in that motherboard since you can't overclock it.

If you are on a really tight budget and can find an i7 - 4770 for super cheap. Maybe in an old business PC with another 8 gb stick of ram you can use as well it might be worth it.

Otherwise saving up for a ryzen 2000 or 3000 series setup would be money much better spent.

8 minutes ago, trufret said:

Not a lot of point putting a K series CPU in that motherboard since you can't overclock it.

If you are on a really tight budget and can find an i7 - 4770 for super cheap. Maybe in an old business PC with another 8 gb stick of ram you can use as well it might be worth it.

Otherwise saving up for a ryzen 2000 or 3000 series setup would be money much better spent.

If I buy a new PC, will this help in the long run? Also what do you mean by tight budget?

39 minutes ago, Forum_user said:

my computer has been running really slow recently.

It's probably not a CPU upgrade that you need, if your PC is slow recently then you want to fix something with your drive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

It's probably not a CPU upgrade that you need, if your PC is slow recently then you want to fix something with your drive.

Sorry, didn't say that correctly the computer was slow for a long time now and I'm trying to find a cost-effective way for which is better (upgreades aren't that often for me) 

15 hours ago, Forum_user said:

If I buy a new PC, will this help in the long run? Also what do you mean by tight budget?

Depends on what your workload for the PC is. New is going to give you access to more and faster cores than your current PC can support. New tech like built in NVME ssd support and USB 3.1 for much higher data transfer speeds etc... but is going to cost more.  You're going to need to buy new everything essentially so you're looking between $500 - $1000 depending on parts.

If you don't want to or can't spend that much because your budget is tight, you could get a noticeable performance boost over your current system by finding an old Dell or HP PC that a company had determined is end of life for them and salvage a few parts from it. 4th gen intel parts are right at that age where most companies are upgrading them so you might be able to find an old tower with a 4th gen i7 and another 8gb stick of ram for $100. add another $100 for a better used video card (GTX 980, 1060, rx 480) and maybe $50 for a better PSU ,depending on what you have now, and you have a much more capable PC for 1/2 the price or less than the cheaper end of building new.