Dear friends of the people, who here knows about Portugal (where is bonus)

Kidplayer_666

I’m a Portuguese and out of curiosity I want to know what you “foreigners” know about my country. Any feedback about it?

Porto is great: nice city, very friendly and laid back people. Much to see, do, and enjoy.

Other than direct experience, plus having a Portuguese colleague at work... there's actually a lot more I'd know, it's not exactly a "strange" country to me ;)

For me it’s the most boring country there is. In a good way, the news are either politics or economy (with seasonal fires) a murder usually is a national matter. It’s one of the most beautiful and amazing country. Somos os melhores (guess what it means)

Portugal is one of my favorite nation in europa universalis.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Christiano Ronaldo

caralho (still dont know what this means)

old castles

Alfonso de Alberqueque

Malacca

13 hours ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

I’m a Portuguese and out of curiosity I want to know what you “foreigners” know about my country. Any feedback about it?

I know Portugal is some tiny piddle of a country, about the size of a fly, somewhere under a rock, with a population of about 50 people.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Almost, were just over 10million people and we’re the idiots who before the British started colonising. We’re a small beautiful country on the western part of Europe 500km per 200km wide. 

On 1/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Kidplayer_666 said:

Ah yes. Im a citizen of the United States and you are on my top 5 list of European countries to visit. I think Portugal and Spain are very unique compared to the other Western EU countries. 

Top 5 list

1) Portugal

2) Estonia or Lithuania (either or)

3) Norway

4) Czechia (formerly Czech Republic)

5) Germany

At this point at the rate the United States is going i might even very well move to anyone of those said countries. I will be graduating and my profession will be in the healthcare field so not sure how to make the transfer of my profession over to another country......but one can dream right?

I'm in UK so we are not that far apart. Unfortunately all I know is that Portugal is that bit next to Spain, and that's about it. I know Coelho is rabbit, as I know someone of that name. I find visiting a country is a good way to learn about it, but so far life has not taken me in that direction. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 hours ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

That beautiful word means go to .... basically screw you

so whenever i see, Portugal Caralho when they cheer their football team,

they mean screw their own football team???

I've never been to Portugal, but I watch a Portuguese motovlogger that makes great videos. A motorcycle trip around Europe and including the Iberian Peninsula, is on my bucket list.

I'm also quite fond of both Port wine and vinho Verde. ?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

dunno much about the country, But i have met a girl who was solo traveling, she was one of the very few of the most extremely friendly & nicest person i've met in my life.

Details separate people.

Beautiful women. 

Capital is Lisbon, they speak Portuguese. 

Good at soccer and naval stuff. 

I think that's all. :(

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

5 hours ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

so whenever i see, Portugal Caralho when they cheer their football team,

they mean screw their own football team???

You probably either got it wrong (there is a Portuguese surname which is Carvalho (it’s the name of a tree, oak I think) or they’re saying it to the other team. (Or to our own team if we loose)

1 hour ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Beautiful women. 

Capital is Lisbon, they speak Portuguese. 

Good at soccer and naval stuff. 

I think that's all. :(

How do you know that first aspect...?

4 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I've never been to Portugal, but I watch a Portuguese motovlogger that makes great videos. A motorcycle trip around Europe and including the Iberian Peninsula, is on my bucket list.

I'm also quite fond of both Port wine and vinho Verde. ?

Vinho verde literally means green wine if you don’t know

Not a great deal.  It’s an EU country, They speak Portuguese, they like to stay out late, they have a thing for disturbing seafood, the colonized some night areas of South America, and they own Macao, and or course there’s the Columbus thing, though that’s ancient history.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not a great deal.  It’s an EU country, They speak Portuguese, they like to stay out late, they have a thing for disturbing seafood, the colonized some night areas of South America, and they own Macao, and or course there’s the Columbus thing, though that’s ancient history.

After the 16th century we basically got tons of debt, lost a lot of colonies and we’re still paying that debt

We also participated in ww1 where we had for a segment as big as an American one, a quarter of the troops

Just now, Kidplayer_666 said:

We also participated in ww1 where we had for a segment as big as an American one, a quarter of the troops

*its meant to read “trenches segment”

We also have one of the most vast and strange languages. It’s a mix of Celt, Roman, Arab, African and Chinese . Compared to English our language is vastly more complex (on verbs we have a different form for each person and a few more forms, like a specific form for conditional and verbs times specifically for expressing desire)

And yet 400 milion people speak it: Brazil (a variety with a local accent) and a few countries in Africa (Mozambique, Angola Cape Verde, etc...)

1 minute ago, Kidplayer_666 said:

We also have one of the most vast and strange languages. It’s a mix of Celt, Roman, Arab, African and Chinese . Compared to English our language is vastly more complex (on verbs we have a different form for each person and a few more forms, like a specific form for conditional and verbs times specifically for expressing desire)

I remember being told it’s the least Roman of the Romance languages.  I couldn’t keep even a one of them in my head though they’re all a mystery to me.  The object genderizarion completely baffled me.  Why are chairs male and spoons female?  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.