Has Linus ever actually given a reason why he wears socks and sandals?

I've wondered for a long time, and I was just watching Handy Tech Under $100 ep. 8, when he was about to give three reasons why they're the optimal footwear, but he was rudely interrupted and the topic was dropped.

I'd love to hear his personal reasons to wear them. If anyone knows if he said anything about it publicly, I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared.

Because it's cool, duh.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

20 minutes ago, PerpetualToddler said:

Has Linus ever actually given a reason why he wears socks and sandals?

Why do people wear stuff? Usually to protect themselves and for comfort.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

As an aside, I do something myself that a lot of people seem to be horrified by: I never wear socks. Literally never.聽 Don't really know why it upsets people, but it sure seems to.

Also, I live in Finland and every single time I see my mum, she nearly has a heart-attack because I traipse around without socks even during the coldest winter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

29 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

As an aside, I do something myself that a lot of people seem to be horrified by: I never wear socks. Literally never.聽 Don't really know why it upsets people, but it sure seems to.

Also, I live in Finland and every single time I see my mum, she nearly has a heart-attack because I traipse around without socks even during the coldest winter.

Im the polar opposite of a foot fetish. Feet are disgusting. Especially when theyre muscle-y and vien-y. The sound they make on hard floors is horrid.聽

Just now, TempestCatto said:

foot fetish

Um, just to clarify: I have no foot fetish. I just find socks extremely uncomfortable. You know, Asperger's syndrome and the oversensitive sense of touch.

45 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

The point that for some people comfort has a very high priority. I drew the comparison because shorts/tshirts are my socks and sandals, not because I think it's a tough guy thing, because it certainly isn't.

Yeah, because being outside while you go somewhere in the winter when it's 5 degrees with a wind chill of -20 in shorts and a t-shirt is the definition of comfort...

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Yeah, because being outside while you go somewhere in the winter when it's 5 degrees with a wind chill of -20 in shorts and a t-shirt is the definition of comfort...

For long periods of time, no. So when I clear the driveway I dress accordingly. But short walks to the car, office, class, etc. are actually quite nice, the cold is refreshing. I personally despise 85+ degree days, especially with humidity, and complain about those similarly to how people complain about the cold. Your definition of comfort is different from mine, which was the entire point of my post.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

he has stated his feet get hot and sweaty in normal shoes with socks.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen聽console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT聽 Nitro+, Corsair RM750X,聽500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba聽x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance聽LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt聽 (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List聽聽聽聽聽 Motherboard Tier List 聽 聽聽SSD Tier List 聽 聽 How to get PC parts cheap 聽聽 HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

....He deals with heavy stuff...He's gonna break a toe if he doesn't wear the proper shoes LOL.

"Whatever happens, happens." -聽Spike Spiegel

I鈥檓 a huge sock fan, love me those socks.

I love socks so much I have a drawer full of them!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Linus says he wear them because of the colin and fresch air ... thats the reason !

5 hours ago, PerpetualToddler said:

I've wondered for a long time, and I was just watching Handy Tech Under $100 ep. 8, when he was about to give three reasons why they're the optimal footwear, but he was rudely interrupted and the topic was dropped.

I'd love to hear his personal reasons to wear them. If anyone knows if he said anything about it publicly, I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared.

I'm pretty sure he did on stream. Form what I remember:

The sock/sandal combo ensures that his feet are not too warm and not too cold. The added benefit is that your feet don't sweat as much compared to shoes.聽

That was basically it.聽

8 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Don't really know why it upsets people, but it sure seems to.

I mean, just from a shoe hygiene perspective it is rather gross.聽 Socks provide a layer between you and your shoe that is clean and changed regularly as opposed to having contact with the dirt/sweat/other that builds up in a shoe over time.聽 It also helps prevent blisters and the like but if you never wear socks you likely have heavy callouses in the necessary places anyway.

Me opening this thread:

ZjSafPO.png

As for official response:

optimal balnce between warmth (but not sweat), comfort (but still solid versatility), and convenience.聽

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses:聽https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards work:聽https://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 hours ago, PerpetualToddler said:

Iirc there was a video.聽

Not a pro, not even very good. 聽I鈥檓 just old and have time currently. 聽Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

-Moved to Off Topic-

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019--- Rainbow 馃 2020---Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---Blue Build Post---Blue Build Post 2018---Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k聽聽 聽MotherboardGigabyte Z97N-WIFI聽 聽聽RAMG.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz聽聽 聽GPUEVGA GTX1080Ti聽FTW3聽 聽聽CaseCorsair 380T聽 聽

StorageSamsung EVO 250GB,聽Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB,聽WD Black 5TB聽聽 聽PSUCorsair CX750M聽 聽聽CoolingCryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

28 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

-Moved to Off Topic-

Lol this wasn鈥檛 in off topic to start? 聽It鈥檚 like the least topical thing for anything there could possibly be.

Not a pro, not even very good. 聽I鈥檓 just old and have time currently. 聽Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Because he's a dad. That's just standard dad wear.聽

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts:聽Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread

Main PC

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset聽

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads聽

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark聽

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block

Storage:聽 1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo聽

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40聽

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2聽

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x聽Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM

Display:聽LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 hours ago, PerpetualToddler said:

If you're looking for some deep and complex understanding, you're gonna be disappointed.

Same reason someone chooses crocs. Or runners. Or Dress Shoes.

Because he likes them. He probably finds it convenient and comfortable.

For Sale:聽Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red聽- HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

he has stated his feet get hot and sweaty in normal shoes with socks.

Yeah聽that and it鈥檚 just his preferred footwear. I wear slip聽on Sketchers as they鈥檙e comfortably, breathable, machine washable, and I can鈥檛 be bothered to tie my shoes anymore.聽

11 hours ago, Koeshi said:

I mean, just from a shoe hygiene perspective it is rather gross.聽 Socks provide a layer between you and your shoe that is clean and changed regularly as opposed to having contact with the dirt/sweat/other that builds up in a shoe over time.聽 It also helps prevent blisters and the like but if you never wear socks you likely have heavy callouses in the necessary places anyway.

Agreed, I prefer to get shoes that are machine washable so I can clean them聽with ease if needed.