2560x1440p 240Hz IPS 1ms - Eve Spectrum gaming monitors, featuring LG's panels

Doobeedoo

So CES passed a while ago and I was wondering when exact spec monitor like this would show up because I've seen that such panel was being made for 2020 but unknown manufacturer. We've seen 1440p 240Hz but TN we've also seen 1080p 240Hz with IPS but now we have combined best of both worlds. Well here it is though. These are open-source developed PC monitors as stated, so crowd-designed, featuring LG's fast 1ms IPS panels across 3 models.

Eve, the makers of the open-source Eve V  convertible laptop, has something to prove with its upcoming lineup of open-source developed PC monitors. The specs match some of the best gaming monitors by featuring LG’s 1ms IPS panels at 1440p and 4K at up to 240Hz. However, Eve CEO Konstantinos Karatsevidis is aware that the Eve V left many disappointed with years-long delivery times and promised that the Eve Spectrum gaming monitors available for pre-order today will arrive on time, thanks a number of business operation changes.

For now it seems it can be pre-ordered with refundable deposit and eventually to come to multiple US retailers. With Spectrum, Eve will ditch global resellers and ship its product through Eve Distribution Ltd., which is in Hong Kong. Also Eve is working very closely with panel supplier LG. The first 500 monitors purchased will enjoy early bird pricing (see bellow), but prices will increase 5-10% before going up “a few points” more at their shipping dates, Karatsevidis (CEO) said. 

Also, unlike other monitors, Eve's Spectrum series is designed to offer "integer-ratio upscaling" for low-resolution input signals, offering display-level integer scaling. This feature allows low-resolution inputs to look sharp on Eve's screens, which is excellent news for fans of some classic PC games. 

Eve Spectrum Monitor Specs

• Panel Type:
IPS, 27 inches

IPS, 27 inches

IPS, 27 inches
  • Max Resolution & Refresh Rate:
QHD (2560 x 1440) @ 144Hz; FreeSync Premium Pro, G-Sync Compatible QHD (2560 x 1440) @ 240Hz; FreeSync Premium Pro, G-Sync Compatible 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 144Hz; FreeSync Premium Pro, G-Sync Compatible
  • Response Time:
1ms 1ms 1ms
  • Native Color Depth / Gamut:
98% DCI-P3, 100% sRGB / 10-bit (8-bit + A-FRC) 98% DCI-P3, 100% sRGB / 10-bit (8-bit + A-FRC) 98% DCI-P3, 100% sRGB / 10-bit (8-bit + A-FRC)
  • HDR:
HDR10, VESA DisplayHDR 400 HDR10, VESA DisplayHDR 600 HDR10, VESA DisplayHDR 600
  • Max Brightness:
SDR: 450 nits HDR: 400 nits SDR: 750 nits; HDR: 600 nits SDR: 750 nits; HDR: 600 nits
  • Ports:
2x USB-C (100W PD output), 3x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A, 2x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0a, 1x 3.5mm headphone jack 2x USB-C (100W PD output), 3x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A, 2x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0a, 1x 3.5mm headphone jack 2x USB-C (100W PD output), 3x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A, 2x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0a, 1x 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Early Bird Price:
$349 $489 $589
  • Shipping Date:
Start of Q3 Start of Q4 Start of Q4

A bit scuffed "table" formatting but just to include it here. 

So yeah, these are looking pretty awesome, especially the 240Hz that I'm interested in and also the very first of it's kind. For these prices it's looking very appealing for the specs though, so we'll have to see how the shipping and availability will be taken care of though. Hopefully well and to more retailers too like to EU as well. The ports are quite awesome too along with the power delivery through USB-C. The only thing more you could ask from these monitors is if they included a higher HDR spec, with potentially MiniLED's and true 10-bit but yeah. Price would definitely go up for that extra and still, in the end it would be FALD which is still not per-pixel illumination. 

This one is something I definitely look for to see reviewed no doubt, especially the 240Hz model.

Soruces: 

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/eve-spectrum-monitors-open-source-specs-release  

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/eve_s_crowd-designed_spectrum_displays_deliver_1440p_at_240hz_on_an_ips_screen/1

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15440/assassins-speed-eve-technology-w-27inch-qhd-240-hz-vrr-monitors

https://hexus.net/tech/news/monitors/139262-eve-spectrum-qhd-uhd-gaming-monitors-revealed/

https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/james-dawson/eve-introduces-its-new-spectrum-monitor-series/

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Lorant said:

1440p 240Hz...  more useless monitors for the hyped to blow money on.

How is it useless?! You literally have flexibility with resolution and refresh rate. Many play competitive shooters lower than 1080p so 720p on this would be 1:1 pixel ratio.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

How is it useless?! You literally have flexibility with resolution and refresh rate. Many play competitive shooters lower than 1080p so 720p on this would be 1:1 pixel ratio.

Buying a 1440p 240Hz monitor to play at 720p 240Hz, and then gaming at 1440p 60Hz+ in other games?

240Hz is snake oil but if you think it's a good thing, cool.

8 minutes ago, Lorant said:

Buying a 1440p 240Hz monitor to play at 720p 240Hz, and then gaming at 1440p 60Hz+ in other games?

240Hz is snake oil but if you think it's a good thing, cool.

Aside from fps you don't know why people play like that. You can obviously play all other games 1440p 120fps+ it all depends what specs.

Saying 240Hz is a snake oil just shows what you know, which is literally nothing, it also proves that you've never used one or that you even play online fps games.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/27/21083260/eve-v-next-product-spectrum-monitor-price-specs

https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/27/eve-spectrum-gaming-monitors/

https://evedevices.com/pages/spectrum/

Eve, the Finnish hardware startup that crowdsourced ideas for what turned out to be a pretty great Windows 2-in-1 but then struggled to meet demand, has announced its next product. The Spectrum is a “crowd-developed” monitor that, if the company can deliver, sounds like a compelling option. Of course, as with the Eve V, that is a big if.

The most affordable Spectrum monitor ($349) has a resolution of 2560x1440p and a refresh rate of 165Hz -- smooth enough for most gamers. The mid-tier option ($489) has the same resolution but an even faster refresh rate, and the high-end Spectrum ($589) runs at 4K but has a slower refresh rate of 144Hz. All three have a 16x9 aspect ratio, 27-inch LG HDR display panels and a staggering amount of ports -- two USB-C, three USB-A, one USB-B, two DisplayPort, one HDMI and one 3.5mm audio jack.

This honestly seems like a Dream monitor, at least for me personally. IPS Panel, 1 ms Response Time, a whackton of ports, and 240 hz refresh rate thats Gsync and Freesync pro compatible. It literally has everything you would want in a monitor.. Stand is a separate purchase... (sneaky side-eye to apple) but only $100

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

CoolingCorsair H115i Pro  |  5  x Corsair ML140 RGB Fans  

Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Boy am I glad for credit cards.

Omegalul and Yes

CPU: i7 7820X  |  Motherboard: Asus Prime X299 Deluxe |  GPUs: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080  |  RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz  

Storage: 2 x Samsung 960 Evo NVMe (RAID 0)  |  2 x 4 TB Seagate Barracuda  |  PSUCorsair HX1000i

The problem I think is that there are only a few companies in the world that actually make monitor panels.  Several of them seem to be in wuhan where that corona virus thing is going on atm.

This is going to be a situation where they pick a panel to build a monitor with, but all of the “features” listed are features of the panel, not the enclosure, which is the only bit they actually have control over. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Tempestwins said:

struggled to meet demand, has announced its next product.

doesn't exactly instill confidence that they will be able to meet demand for this either

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Tempestwins said:

This honestly seems like a Dream monitor, at least for me personally. IPS Panel, 1 ms Response Time, a whackton of ports, and 240 hz refresh rate thats Gsync and Freesync pro compatible. It literally has everything you would want in a monitor

You're forgetting plenty of other aspects of a monitor, like e.g. backlight-bleed, black uniformity, inverse ghosting and overshoot. There are a LOT of displays out there that promise 1ms response times, but they don't mention that you can only get near that if you set overdrive all the way to the maximum and then you get an absolute fuckton of inverse ghosting, for example.

Never take a manufacturer's claims blindly at face-value, especially when it comes to crowdfunded projects.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

You're forgetting plenty of other aspects of a monitor, like e.g. backlight-bleed, black uniformity, inverse ghosting and overshoot. There are a LOT of displays out there that promise 1ms response times, but they don't mention that you can only get near that if you set overdrive all the way to the maximum and then you get an absolute fuckton of inverse ghosting, for example.

Never take a manufacturer's claims blindly at face-value, especially when it comes to crowdfunded projects.

I agree, this is one to watch for me though as it checks a lot of boxes on paper, but without seeing the final product, its hard to gauge its effective value

I have a hard time trusting crowdfunded stuff, but I am curious if they're doing any extra QA or binning for backlight bleed or display uniformity. Although kinda lame the stand isn't included, just seems like they aren't to claim a lower price, then profit on charging extra for the stand.

16 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

I have a hard time trusting crowdfunded stuff

It's good not to trust crowdfunded projects, but it's also not particularly difficult to separate most of the wheat from the chaff; there is no such thing free energy, if they claim to have invented something no one else has, then it's fake, if they claim specs far, far higher than you can find in any commercially-sold device, then it's fake and if they don't actually list detailed specs/ingredients, then it's fake.

I've backed several projects on Kickstarter and only one of them has been a fail. The one that was a fail..well, I don't really know what, exactly, happened, but I am under the impression that the project's maker might have gotten in trouble with some criminal elements. Something like that is pretty much impossible to predict.

23 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

but I am curious if they're doing any extra QA or binning for backlight bleed or display uniformity.

I wouldn't count on that. I also would expect the displays not to be properly colour-calibrated.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I am very skeptical of this... I will believe it was it is shipped and widely available on the market without insane shortages.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I am very skeptical of this... I will believe it was it is shipped and widely available on the market without insane shortages.

It’s basically a samsung monitor apparently.  It’s going to be Samsung’s production.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Will wait for the LTT review

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

Will wait for the LTT review

LTT isn't really a good one for display-reviews. I'd personally recommend waiting for Tim from Hardware Unboxed to do one.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s basically a samsung monitor apparently.  It’s going to be Samsung’s production.

On their site the specs say that all Eve Spectrum monitor's will use LG's 27" IPS panels, so doubt it's samsung's monitor.

Gonna wait for some early first looks and jump straight on this I reckon.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

Hardware like this is something I'd never Kickstart. Way too many potential issues, including waiting years for the actual product and by then it's been surpassed by something else that's cheaper. I'm especially skeptical of the 4k 144hz option. $589? Really? Fat chance. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

doesn't exactly instill confidence that they will be able to meet demand for this either

Seems to be a rebrand for high markup/profit margin and quick turn around to generate some quick/easy cash? :(

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

Hardware like this is something I'd never Kickstart. Way too many potential issues, including waiting years for the actual product and by then it's been surpassed by something else that's cheaper. I'm especially skeptical of the 4k 144hz option. $589? Really? Fat chance. 

AFAIK turn around on a monitor/laptop can be real quick, but only cos rebrands exist. :P

20 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Aside from fps you don't know why people play like that. You can obviously play all other games 1440p 120fps+ it all depends what specs.

Saying 240Hz is a snake oil just shows what you know, which is literally nothing, it also proves that you've never used one or that you even play online fps games.

It's been shown that people can't react or even notice the difference in frame rates that high.

Similar to how cars doing 0-60 in 3.2 seconds vs 3 seconds.  You can't notice that when driving.  I've done and seen that as well as used 240Hz monitors.  

Similar to how people can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at certain distances.  

Until fully tested and reviewed, I would be wary of ordering one. Monitors especially suffer from misleading specs.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 hours ago, Mholes said:

On their site the specs say that all Eve Spectrum monitor's will use LG's 27" IPS panels, so doubt it's samsung's monitor.

Thought it said Samsung.   Either way.  A company’s monitor seems to have been picked.  I also pointed out at one point that attempting to crowdsource suggestions that all apply to monitor panels doesn’t help because the company doesn’t make panels themselves. That was apparently old news because it apparently what they did