Fake it till they make it: 'Improved' AMD Wraith Prism coolers with extra heatpipes are counterfeits

Spotty

Source (AMD): https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/etfyec/amd_update_on_wraith_prism_cooling_solutions/

Original Source: https://www.xfastest.com/thread-238063-1-1.html

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/counterfeit-amd-wraith-prism-coolers-are-entering-the-market

Chinese website XFastest showed off numerous pictures of a supposedly new AMD CPU Wraith Prism cooler that featured 6 heatpipes instead of the standard 4 heatpipes. The Wraith Prism cooler is AMDs premium stock cooler featuring RGB illumination and is normally included with the Ryzen 7 2700X, 3700X, 3800X, and Ryzen 9 3900X CPUs. It is produced for AMD by Cooler Master.

Exclusive news from XFastest. Recently, a new type of original radiator was released from the related foundries of AMD radiators. At first glance, this radiator looks similar to Wraith Prism, but it has six heat pipes. The average Wraith Prism has only four heat pipes.

Judging from the leaked pictures, except for the increase in the number of heat pipes, the new AMD original radiator that appeared this time is indeed no different from the ordinary Wraith Prism. It has RGB lighting effects and can be used for AM4 pins.

(Translated) https://www.xfastest.com/thread-238063-1-1.html (Images taken from xfastest.com)

image.png.99800ac7ed4537075a3224943958b59c.png

(Left; Real... Right; Fake)

More pictures in spoiler:

Spoiler

image.png.3adec2199fc4c570b80f97fa24900e49.png
image.png.231e80e4f1c7158f195c87e0e64877f8.png
image.png.1f7152d7b9e7ecea74ef0c60e4868e07.png

However don't get your hopes up for a better performing AMD Wraith Prism cooler just yet, not all is as it seems!
AMD has released a statement on the AMD Reddit page under their official AMD account confirming that these coolers are not legitimate products by AMD and that they are indeed counterfeits using the AMD design and branding.

As reported by Tom's Hardware these fake coolers appear to be quite sophisticated fakes. Many people could be easily fooled in to thinking that they were genuine AMD coolers. Tom's Hardware also noted that the performance of the counterfeit coolers may not match that of the genuine articles.

Whoever is making these fake Wraith Prism coolers obviously has decent production capabilities: The two additional heat pipes are implemented perfectly into AMD's original design. The cooler looks very elaborate so it likely didn't come out of some random guy's garage, but most plants that work with copper tubing and vapor plates could probably produce such a cooler. In either case, copper heat pipes aren't easy to make - that is, of course, assuming they are functional and not just there for trickery.

While consumers might be tempted to pick up the cooler, AMD advises against doing so because it hasn't tested and validated the cooler. It's also unknown if the counterfeit cooler utilizes heat pipes with a vapor chamber. If the heat pipes are not manufactured properly, the coolant could leak out of the heat pipes onto your hardware. Assuming the vapor chambers are manufactured correctly, there should be very little coolant inside. However, with a counterfeit, all bets are off.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/counterfeit-amd-wraith-prism-coolers-are-entering-the-market

While news of 2 extra heatpipes on a Wraith Prism cooler probably isn't all that interesting, it is interesting that AMD coolers have become so popular that people are out there making counterfeits to try and cash in on the market.

I'm not sure how much market there would be for these either. People buying AMD CPUs are already going to have a stock cooler included in the box. Anyone who buys the Ryzen 7 2700X or higher CPU will receive the Wraith Prism CPU, while the other CPUs in AMD's AM4 Ryzen lineup will include either the Wraith Spire or Wraith Stealth coolers. Are these coolers only for people who purchased lower end CPUs who wish to upgrade to the Wraith Prism cooler?

I must say that in the pictures they do look very convincing aside from the giveaway of the extra heatpipes. To my eyes it does look like the fake might not have quite as densely packed aluminium fins either, which may also effect cooling performance, however that hasn't been confirmed yet.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The question is, A. do they cool better? and B. had they change the plastic shroud a bit and labeled it with something other than AMD would they have made more money?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Idiots.  If they can make a low profile top down cooler with better performance for the same price they should put their own name on it and sell it.  I’ve been recommending arctic cooling 33s instead of the AMD stock cooler lately because the wraith is too expensive lately even when packaged with the CPU.  If they can make a cooler even AS good they could sell it without that kind of garbage.  As it is all they’ve done is kneecap themselves.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

A. do they cool better?

No-one has tested them yet afaik... Maybe LTT can get their hands on one to test? Though I'm not sure how much AMD would like that, especially if the fake turns out to be better :P

B. had they change the plastic shroud a bit and labeled it with something other than AMD would they have made more money?

Just now, Bombastinator said:

If they can make a low profile top down cooler with better performance for the same price they should put their own name on it and sell it.

Good point.

I'm still not really sure who would be buying these as AMD branded Wraith Prism coolers. People who bought a 2200G but want to pretend like they have a 3900X? I just don't get it :S
Obviously someone out there must want to purchase "AMD Wraith Prism" coolers separately otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to make them.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

then the question is,

if the prism comes stock with those CPUs, why would someone spend money to get the same cooler but maybe slightly better (at least on paper) instead of getting a proper 3rd party cooler

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

As owner of a genuine Wraith Prism, I'm wondering why anyone would want it. Was not very good at cooling, very noisy on my 3700X (stock). RGB looks nice. Might be ok for lower TDP CPUs than they are actually bundled with. I don't think the limit of its performance is the number of heatpipes though, especially as the added pair on the edge probably wont get much heat conduction to them. More a problem for airflow and overall surface area, so my gut feel is the copy wont be that much different at equivalent airflow.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Coming up, Chinese counterfeit news articles! What will they think of the next?

14 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The question is, A. do they cool better? and B. had they change the plastic shroud a bit and labeled it with something other than AMD would they have made more money?

A good theory I saw on r/AMD is that the cooler was from a design batch AMD made for the 3900X/3950X that they ended up not using. The beefier cooler wasn't needed for the 3900X and they sell the 3950X without a box cooler. Once products are made for testing, there is both stock and tooling/designs around. The After-Hours Blackmarket tends to happen as a result.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

As owner of a genuine Wraith Prism, I'm wondering why anyone would want it. Was not very good at cooling, very noisy on my 3700X (stock). RGB looks nice. Might be ok for lower TDP CPUs than they are actually bundled with. I don't think the limit of its performance is the number of heatpipes though, especially as the added pair on the edge probably wont get much heat conduction to them. More a problem for airflow and overall surface area, so my gut feel is the copy wont be that much different at equivalent airflow.

Box Coolers make them a complete product and are sold to OEMs, as part of the package. (Or at least some OEMs.) The box cooler for AMD is more than adequate, but going for a tower cooler is a generally recommended idea. But budgets are budgets, so they do matter a lot to people.

Just now, Arika S said:

if the prism comes stock with those CPUs, why would someone spend money to get the same cooler but maybe slightly better (at least on paper) instead of getting a proper 3rd party cooler

The Wraith Prism with RGB only comes with some of the Ryzen 7's and the Ryzen 9's. Lower end CPUs come with the non-RGB Wraith Spire or Wraith Stealth. So I guess anyone who got one of the lower coolers might want to upgrade to the Wraith Prism, but if you're replacing the stock cooler you should really just be buying a decent aftermarket tower cooler instead, providing your case has enough height clearance.

There's a list of which CPUs come with which coolers available on AMD's website: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/cpu-cooler-solution
image.png.0ad7343ec8db8e23afd7122589e8874f.png

8 minutes ago, porina said:

The biggest problem I see with the wraith is that single bearing fan they use in em. Single bearing fans are junk. A dual ball or sleeve bearing makes a lot more sense.  If they’ve got to do a redesign push it to 100 or 120mm while they’re at it.   It’s not a terrible cooler design.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Pepsi challenge should be done.  Does it cool better? Is it cheaper?  Wondering if maybe they wanted to sell to AMD and replace cooler master.  Might be IP issues with the design.

30 minutes ago, porina said:

Might be ok for lower TDP CPUs than they are actually bundled with.

I have one on my 2600. I got it from a forum friend and I can say, yeah, it's great for lower TDP parts. I basically never hear it because it never has to actually ramp up. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

My memory is that the wraith prism/max has about the same power cooling wise as a dark rock pro slim.  There are a bunch of $25 coolers that match it.  They seem to want to sell the thing from $35-$50 though and that’s just stupid.  $15 more for an x over a non x and I’ll recommend them all day though.  I was under the impression the max/prism was pretty good on a 3700 though.  Is this not the case and they actually need more cooler?

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

My memory is that the wraith prism/max has about the same power cooling wise as a dark rock pro slim.  There are a bunch of $25 coolers that match it.

I bet the Dark Rock Pro Slim is quieter though.

50 minutes ago, AkatsukiKun said:

The moment I see AMD Radiator, I stopped taking it seriously.

To be fair cpu air coolers are radiators.  Does smack of machine translation and business English though.

Would be funny if the copies run even better than the original. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, williamcll said:

Would be funny if the copies run even better than the original. 

They might.  They also might not.  Depends a lot on how much they cheaper out on the heat pipes.  Even if they didn’t it’s possible there’s no functional improvement.  I’d like to see it tested myself

I've seen it interesting at first when I saw it, though the og cooler is already really good for CPUs it comes with and Ryzen 9 3950X doesn't come with it. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

20 hours ago, Spotty said:

Tom's Hardware also noted that the performance of the counterfeit coolers may not match that of the genuine articles.

This is literally the only relevant bit of info. I couldn't care less who makes a product, only how it preforms and costs.

52 minutes ago, geo3 said:

This is literally the only relevant bit of info. I couldn't care less who makes a product, only how it preforms and costs.

There is that argument and I’m sort of right there with you.  Counterfeit stuff tends to be poorly made though and a poorly made heat pipe is garbage.  There were some chinese manufacturers doin what looked a great deal like noctua DH14s but they did them with crap heat piping and the result was something a good 2 pipe cooler could beat.   They need to be found and tested for actual effect.  Until then they’re nothing.

I'll admit. If the fake only had 4 heat pipes and had a fake QR cod sticker on the one side, I literally would not be able to tells these apart. 

It's so good, it makes me think someone either is a really good engineer of coolers who re-created it, they,re sourcing a lot of their components from the same place AMD gets theirs, or managed to get specs and outline drawings for the original AMD coolers and made changes (the more likely outcome given the extreme accuracy).

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 1/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Spotty said:

I'm still not really sure who would be buying these as AMD branded Wraith Prism coolers.

I have a 1700 with the stock spire, I wouldn't mind a prism. Due to the placement of my radiators in my system the VRMs would get baked without a downfire cooler. I do with we had more downfiring options on the market tbh. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240