Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PSU refusing to work unless cable in exact right postion

So my Cooler Master MWE 650W Gold Power Supply has run without issue when I first built my new pc but lately the PSU has been giving me issues. The cable constantly needs to be shifted and placed correctly to turn the pc on, making sparking noises, yes great I know. Then I can shove the cable in all the way once the PC actually boots. If I try to shove the cable in all the way as you normally would, no go. I believe this is the cause of a new issue I've been having. My PC shutting down when gaming. At first it was after a little bit but now when I try to load into the first level of the Quake II RTX demo it simply shuts down my PC instantly (I tried this game because its actually kinda demanding). I believe my PC is receiving insufficient power with the faulty PSU

Opinions? Fixes? Anything appreciated :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something is badly worn.  Cable connectors are generally species to wear out sooner than ports so the chances are decent that a new cable will help.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  

20 hours ago, johnny5c said:

Have you tried a different cable?

 

19 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Something is badly worn.  Cable connectors are generally species to wear out sooner than ports so the chances are decent that a new cable will help.

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried a different cable which worked perfectly fine on my old PC

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

  

 

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried a different cable which worked perfectly fine on my old PC

You may have a worn port then.  Fixes for that one are less pleasant.  You by any chance handy with a soldering iron?

 

UPDATE: I was somehow thinking some sort of motherboard USB problem.  If this is the wall cord and the PSU things are entirely different.  Do not open up a PSU.  

Edited by Bombastinator
Important update

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

  

 

Sorry I should have mentioned I tried a different cable which worked perfectly fine on my old PC

Another thought.  This is the PSU, on a white box desktop, yes?  Is the PSU new enough to RMA?  

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

So my Cooler Master MWE 650W Gold Power Supply has run without issue when I first built my new pc but lately the PSU has been giving me issues. The cable constantly needs to be shifted and placed correctly to turn the pc on, making sparking noises, yes great I know. Then I can shove the cable in all the way once the PC actually boots. If I try to shove the cable in all the way as you normally would, no go. I believe this is the cause of a new issue I've been having. My PC shutting down when gaming. At first it was after a little bit but now when I try to load into the first level of the Quake II RTX demo it simply shuts down my PC instantly (I tried this game because its actually kinda demanding). I believe my PC is receiving insufficient power with the faulty PSU

Opinions? Fixes? Anything appreciated :)

"The cable"

 

What cable?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Another thought.  This is the PSU, on a white box desktop, yes?  Is the PSU new enough to RMA?  

It is new enough to RMA yeah. Also white box desktop? Meaning custom built? Yeah I built it in the middle of last year roughly

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

"The cable"

 

What cable?

 

From the power point to the power supply, maybe should have specified

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bushpig2dope said:

It is new enough to RMA yeah. Also white box desktop? Meaning custom built? Yeah I built it in the middle of last year roughly

From the power point to the power supply, maybe should have specified

RMA the PSU.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

From the power point to the power supply, maybe should have specified

So the power cord? The cord from the wall to the PC?

 

Use another cord.  Where are you located?

 

Make sure the cord is something made for the amount of current the PSU is made to deliver.

 

I've seen people use power cords from monitors (lower wattage) on their PC (higher wattage) and cause all sorts of problems.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×