High Quality 3.5mm Jack Splitter

iTonyy

Looking to get a splitter for my headphones & speakers which both run on 3.5mm jacks. My mobo only has a single input so thinking that a splitter should allow me to change my audio source without having to manually switch plugs each time. Any recommendations on a quality splitter that won't make it sound like I'm listening through a wall?

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Listening through a wall? What do you mean? 

If you want a cable to change how things sound and a high quality one your looking at a lot of money 

8 hours ago, iTonyy said:

Looking to get a splitter for my headphones & speakers which both run on 3.5mm jacks. My mobo only has a single input so thinking that a splitter should allow me to change my audio source without having to manually switch plugs each time. Any recommendations on a quality splitter that won't make it sound like I'm listening through a wall?

Rather than a splitter, what about a switch to pick between the two? better than hearing your speakers and headphones at the same time.

Nobsound/Little Bear make some, and I find their products to sound great.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Switcher-Headphone-Selector/dp/B0787X4J4V/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=little+bear+mc102&qid=1579713637&sr=8-1

Or, you can get something smaller and more "high end" for a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-IPOD-AB-Stereo-Player-Switch/dp/B005TE7GP4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sescom+AB&qid=1579713681&sr=8-3

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

Listening through a wall? What do you mean? 

If you want a cable to change how things sound and a high quality one your looking at a lot of money 

I just meant that really cheapo quality cables often are faulty so rather not deal with that

3 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Rather than a splitter, what about a switch to pick between the two? better than hearing your speakers and headphones at the same time.

Nobsound/Little Bear make some, and I find their products to sound great.

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Switcher-Headphone-Selector/dp/B0787X4J4V/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=little+bear+mc102&qid=1579713637&sr=8-1

Or, you can get something smaller and more "high end" for a bit more.

https://www.amazon.com/Sescom-SES-IPOD-AB-Stereo-Player-Switch/dp/B005TE7GP4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sescom+AB&qid=1579713681&sr=8-3

I had considered a switch but then there's still the manual aspect of having to flip it each time and it would still take up space on my desk.

Not sure if it's a thing but a software controllable switch could potentially work. Although not looking to spend big bucks on just a quality of life upgrade.

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Just now, iTonyy said:

I had considered a switch but then there's still the manual aspect of having to flip it each time and it would still take up space on my desk.

Not sure if it's a thing but a software controllable switch could potentially work. Although not looking to spend big bucks on just a quality of life upgrade.

Thing is, with a splitter both devices would be getting signal at the same time, so you'd hear the headphones when using speakers, and vice versa.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

39 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Thing is, with a splitter both devices would be getting signal at the same time, so you'd hear the headphones when using speakers, and vice versa.

Think it would work fine for my application. I only plan on using speakers for movies so they're usually turned off. My headphones also have a detachable cable so I can always manually 'unplug' it if it becomes an issue to have them both on at the same time.

Why not go for a slightly less janky setup and get a simple USB soundcard that you use for either the headphones or the speakers and just switch the sound output? If your post signature is up to date and you're still using Windows 7, there's a program called SoundSwitch. If you have upgraded to Windows 10 you can just click the audio icon and switch it there

By all means, using a splitter works. I just think it'd be a nicer solution overall to do what I suggested. You do you. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50