WordpADS - Microsoft trials ads in Wordpad.

rcmaehl
11 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:
Winaero

OnMSFT

TechRadar (quote source)

Summary:
Testers have found and enabled code in Windows 10 Insider build 19546 that shows Microsoft is potentially going to add ads for wordpad. Currently, these test ads are only for Microsoft Office.

Spoiler

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:

Big oof. Looks like Microsoft is really after ads within the OS compared to just selling new copies of Windows. It's definitely starting to feel like enough is enough.

The end is nigh.

Yeah that's lame even though I don't use it. Though Outlook on web the free version has adds but they're not intrusive at least. We'll see how they go forward with this.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm okay as long as that ad is just telling users there is a free version of Microsoft Office, they can use online, because not many knew about it, and the only way for the free Office program to show up, is by having a clean install of Win10, starting with build 1809.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Windows 10 feels like a cheap Chinese Android phone these days.

Riddled with ads everywhere, and while you can turn them off it's usually not straight forward, costs extra money or is in like 20 different menus all spreadout.

And on top of that you know it is sending a bunch of personal data back to the company who made it.

It should be inexcusable for an OS to have this much ads in it. Especially since it costs 200 dollars.

They seem to have removed Spotify ad in Groove. It has no ads now, under Insider build. That is 1 less ad

12 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

That’s weird don’t see ads on Mac OS

It's caus mac overcharges you so much at the begining that they don't have to worry about adds.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

It's caus mac overcharges you so much at the begining that they don't have to worry about adds.

I don’t know about overcharging exactly.  They do make you buy more stuff, and their OS is expensive to maintain for them.  Does wind up costing more often though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

buy office

I think you should write "rent" instead of "buy". They pushing O365 pretty hard....

6 hours ago, porina said:

and you don't or can't install other stuff on it.

I have a thumbdrive for this loaded with the essential programs in portable format(no install needed).

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

They seem to have removed Spotify ad in Groove. It has no ads now, under Insider build. That is 1 less ad

Yeah but I installed windows 10 last week and it had at least 4 new ads it didn't have last time I installed it. So it's at best 1 step forward and 4 steps backwards. 

Maybe I should do a clean install and count the number of ads just to drive the point across how riddled work ads it is. 

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe I should do a clean install and count the number of ads just to drive the point across how riddled work ads it is. 

Your typo just made me think of something. Is there a difference in number of ads or ad placement between home and pro

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah but I installed windows 10 last week and it had at least 4 new ads it didn't have last time I installed it. So it's at best 1 step forward and 4 steps backwards. 

What are you calling ads?  I have 3 links to free software that is not actually installed with windows in the tiles on the start menu.   But I can't find anything else that would constitute an ad in the actual OS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

44 minutes ago, lloose said:

With Windows 7 being gone, this will be the year that Microsoft really pushes its users to see how far they can push.

Well it depends... there is something we don't know... what if WordPad is planned to be discontinued? I mean Notepad is getting attention, but Wordpad was left to dust. I think MS wants to remove it, and wants people to switch to Office Online, which is free instead.

So only time will tell. 

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I think MS wants to remove it, and wants people to switch to Office Online, which is free instead.

most likely what is happening. there's no reason to have so many in built text editors

3 hours ago, Zm1TDkSnQkY4KEqskCARSBpk said:

Lol just use Linux.

Image result for no i dont think i will

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 1/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, RejZoR said:

I remember back in the day when we used to pirate MS Office for the most basic possible text editing. These days I just use OnlyOffice or LibreOffice. Powerful enough even for more demanding jobs and support formats much better than they did before. But yeah, if you get it for free from educational institutions or work, then fine. For home use, it's really not absolutely needed.

I built my resume using Libre Office. It looks rather good. But I’m 100% certain it would be easier with MS Office. It’s just the way Libre Office handles tables... It ain’t nice! Microsoft does tables better. But I ain’t paying for that! I would rather get myself frustrated over tables for several hours and still git’er done. And it’s done. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

I built my resume using Libre Office. It looks rather good. But I’m 100% certain it would be easier with MS Office. It’s just the way Libre Office handles tables... It ain’t nice! Microsoft does tables better. But I ain’t paying for that! I would rather get myself frustrated over tables for several hours and still git’er done. And it’s done. 

Try OnlyOffice. It's also free and looks and feels more like MS Office. Plus it's a lot faster to start and updating process is done better.

20 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Try OnlyOffice. It's also free and looks and feels more like MS Office. Plus it's a lot faster to start and updating process is done better.

My work laptop has MS Office. And that makes me happy. I only used Libre Office once when I was looking for work.

I’ll always have a company car, laptop with MSOffice & AutoCAD and company cell phone as long as I work. It’s required for my job. 

13 hours ago, mr moose said:

What are you calling ads?  I have 3 links to free software that is not actually installed with windows in the tiles on the start menu.   But I can't find anything else that would constitute an ad in the actual OS.

An ad to me is an notice which exist to inform me about some other product or service, with the hopes that I spend money on it.

For example the "recommendations" for different programs which appear in the start menu are ads if you ask me. The lock screen going "hey, you might like the new Tomb Raider game. Here is a picture from the game and a link to the store where you can buy it" is an ad in my eyes.

The shortcuts labeled things like "Excel", which just brings you to the store page where you can buy Excel are ads in my eyes.

The message in Explorer which looks like this, is an ad in my eyes:

Capture.PNG.4915bc3b2d78bd894c8eecce5d5a9cc1.PNG

Stuff like that.

Also don't forget that just because it isn't showing ads in the OS doesn't mean its not selling your usage data to give you ads on websites you visit and videos you watch.

image.thumb.png.4315669a83ccbdccb7b96e28e17c06e5.png

1 hour ago, lloose said:

Also don't forget that just because it isn't showing ads in the OS doesn't mean its not selling your usage data to give you ads on websites you visit and videos you watch.

It only applies to UWP apps who implement Bing Ads platform. It is so that you have ads based on your interest, else you'll get the generic ads.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It only applies to UWP apps who implement Bing Ads platform. It is so that you have ads based on your interest, else you'll get the generic ads.

Yep, just like Google.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

An ad to me is an notice which exist to inform me about some other product or service, with the hopes that I spend money on it.

For example the "recommendations" for different programs which appear in the start menu are ads if you ask me. The lock screen going "hey, you might like the new Tomb Raider game. Here is a picture from the game and a link to the store where you can buy it" is an ad in my eyes.

The shortcuts labeled things like "Excel", which just brings you to the store page where you can buy Excel are ads in my eyes.

The message in Explorer which looks like this, is an ad in my eyes:

Capture.PNG.4915bc3b2d78bd894c8eecce5d5a9cc1.PNG

Stuff like that.

I get none of that.  I have never seen any recommendations on the lock screen, nothing in file explorer. seriously all I get are those three I mentioned in the tiles on the start menu. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

I get none of that.  I have never seen any recommendations on the lock screen, nothing in file explorer. seriously all I get are those three I mentioned in the tiles on the start menu. 

Then you are very lucky I guess.

Or maybe you installed windows 10 a long time ago and new installs has over time gotten more and more ads added to them. Or maybe you installed it a long time ago and have forgotten how many ads there were before you disables all of them. 

The fact remains though that all the ads I have mentioned are real. The news articles and pictures of them aren't fake, if that's what you think. 

It might also be that you're very lucky and live in a country where Microsoft aren't pushing ads so heavily. They might only do that in some parts of the world like the US and Europe. For example I know for a fact that at least one cortana ad was us only. It was a "reminder/suggestion" to buy chicken wings or whatever for the super bowl. 

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Then you are very lucky I guess.

Or maybe you installed windows 10 a long time ago and new installs has over time gotten more and more ads added to them. Or maybe you installed it a long time ago and have forgotten how many ads there were before you disables all of them. 

The fact remains though that all the ads I have mentioned are real. The news articles and pictures of them aren't fake, if that's what you think. 

It might also be that you're very lucky and live in a country where Microsoft aren't pushing ads so heavily. They might only do that in some parts of the world like the US and Europe. For example I know for a fact that at least one cortana ad was us only. It was a "reminder/suggestion" to buy chicken wings or whatever for the super bowl. 

I reinstalled from a newly downloaded ISO a few months ago as I just finished building a new PC.  I don't recall a button to disable ads either, I did turn off the advertising ID,

though they say that won't change the number of ads I see.

Turning the advertising ID off will not reduce the number of ads you see

Might be a location thing, Maybe there is more to our consumer laws than I first thought.