WordpADS - Microsoft trials ads in Wordpad.

rcmaehl

Source:
Winaero

OnMSFT

TechRadar (quote source)

Summary:
Testers have found and enabled code in Windows 10 Insider build 19546 that shows Microsoft is potentially going to add ads for wordpad. Currently, these test ads are only for Microsoft Office.

Media:

Quotes/Excerpts:

Wordpad has been a staple of Windows since Windows 95, so it’s one of the last apps we’d think Microsoft would update, but it looks like the company is doing just that...it will just be adding ads. Part of Wordpad’s appeal is its simplicity – it’s a simple (and free)...app that allows you to quickly and easily create text documents. According to Windows researcher Rafael Rivera, Microsoft is planning on adding adverts to Wordpad that encourage users to use Microsoft’s Office...instead. The adverts appear below the toolbar, suggesting users “Try Word online for free”. Other ads mention Word, Excel and PowerPoint for free online, as well as trying Office for free. This isn’t the first time Microsoft has inserted ads for its premium products in Windows 10’s free apps – the Mail and Calendar apps also contain adverts. Even Windows 10 itself now comes with pre-installed games and ads in the Start menu, showing that Microsoft is looking at ways to get more money out of its users. 

My Thoughts:

Big oof. Looks like Microsoft is really after ads within the OS compared to just selling new copies of Windows. It's definitely starting to feel like enough is enough.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Rather than wordpad, microsoft might as well put ads on their full feature microsoft office software to let user use it for free with caveat between 10-15% horizontal space being used for the ads and the user must be online

There are crap tons of user using cracked microsoft office, microsoft could make decent revenue from there

How many peoples use wordpad? ?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, xtroria said:

Rather than wordpad, microsoft might as well put ads on their full feature microsoft office software to let user use it for free with caveat between 10-15% horizontal space being used for the ads and the user must be online

There are crap tons of user using cracked microsoft office, microsoft could make decent revenue from there

Not a silly idea.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

35 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

I open wordpad over notepad most of the time.

I'll just find an alternative, many exist.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That’s weird don’t see ads on Mac OS

27 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

That’s weird don’t see ads on Mac OS

Wordpad is an OS now?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Wordpad is an OS now?

All I’m saying no ads in MacOS

Wordpad is still around?

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

2 minutes ago, Reytime said:

Wordpad is still around?

Maybe it's a trial and they thought nobody would notice.

Is “killitwithfire” too extreme?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I do. I am too lazy to install Office or an alternative and when I need to write a document once a month then WordPad is enough.

Honestly I don't really care if they promote a premium software that achieves the same thing. As long as they don't start making generic or distracting ads it's ok for me.

I guess they want those 50 people still using it to not use it anymore... Also why ppl don't use LibreOffice or OnlyOffice? Both free and excellent Office replacement. Unless you really need full MS Office because of some absurd specific functionality, there are ads free alternatives.

LibreOffice I’ve heard of.  OnlyOffice I haven’t.  There’s a ton of free office software out there.  There’s even some sort of limited version of word that came with win10.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Also why ppl don't use LibreOffice or OnlyOffice? Both free and excellent Office replacement.

when you got microsoft office for free from your college/university/school.

WPS office is also a great alternative.

Windows 10 feels like a cheap Chinese Android phone these days.

Riddled with ads everywhere, and while you can turn them off it's usually not straight forward, costs extra money or is in like 20 different menus all spreadout.

And on top of that you know it is sending a bunch of personal data back to the company who made it.

It should be inexcusable for an OS to have this much ads in it. Especially since it costs 200 dollars.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Windows 10 feels like a cheap Chinese Android phone these days.

Riddled with ads everywhere, and while you can turn them off it's usually not straight forward, costs extra money or is in like 20 different menus all spreadout.

And on top of that you know it is sending a bunch of personal data back to the company who made it.

It should be inexcusable for an OS to have this much ads in it. Especially since it costs 200 dollars.

you mean bloatware

3 minutes ago, JustWantTech said:

when you got microsoft office for free from your college/university/school.

WPS office is also a great alternative.

I remember back in the day when we used to pirate MS Office for the most basic possible text editing. These days I just use OnlyOffice or LibreOffice. Powerful enough even for more demanding jobs and support formats much better than they did before. But yeah, if you get it for free from educational institutions or work, then fine. For home use, it's really not absolutely needed.

I mean, the title for this is almost certainly clickbait.

I think the chances of Microsoft actually adding ads to Wordpad is very slim.

If anything, to me this is more like the 'Edit with Paint 3D' button in MsPaint than an ad. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be phasing out Wordpad soon like they did with Paint. 

I bet the 'average' person probably doesn't know that Word and Wordpad are different things!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 hour ago, JustWantTech said:

you mean bloatware

That too! 

Yes, thank you Microsoft for including candy crush on your 200 dollar OS. I also like the 5 different "programs" that just brings you to the store page where you can buy office. 

9 hours ago, xtroria said:

They did this in the past. My old Sony Vaio laptop (way back when Sony still owned Vaio brand) had exactly that. A "free" version of Office you can use but there were ads in the display area.

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I rarely use it, but it does come in handy if you're helping out someone else's system, and you don't or can't install other stuff on it. The main use is for opening file types not supported by Notepad, and can also be used to convert text files to PC format in case they're in the Linux/Unix format. Some variation of CR/LF makes it practically unreadable if not done.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible