Any Thoughs on MSI 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC?

MorbidNature

Anyone have any experience with the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC ?

I recently decided to buy a 2070 Super (under 275mm because of case limits), and I was looking at different board partners I saw there was a noticeable price difference between most cards like Asus/Gigabyte/etc and MSI's  RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC.

There difference is around 100$, from what I can see there the only big difference is a slight boost speed (Asus being in the lead with 1815 compared to 1785) do you thing that's worth the difference?

According to this 

the cooler is just as bad as the blower version.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

10 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Anyone have any experience with the MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC ?

I recently decided to buy a 2070 Super (under 275mm because of case limits), and I was looking at different board partners I saw there was a noticeable price difference between most cards like Asus/Gigabyte/etc and MSI's  RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC.

There difference is around 100$, from what I can see there the only big difference is a slight boost speed (Asus being in the lead with 1815 compared to 1785) do you thing that's worth the difference?

I have myself the MSI 2070, i am very pleased with it.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

There's a reason why a 2060 cooler on a 2070 Super is a bad idea... and it's not that good of a performer on the 2060 either.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

It doesn't matter. Yes it runs warmer than other cards. 

No that doesn't affect anything besides your exhaust air being a little warmer. 

It's still a 2070S and will perform like one 

2 hours ago, NoGanksEric said:

It doesn't matter. Yes it runs warmer than other cards. 

No that doesn't affect anything besides your exhaust air being a little warmer. 

It's still a 2070S and will perform like one 

That’s not entirely true. If the card runs hotter it’ll thermal throttle and not boost as high as card with better cooling solution.

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

7 hours ago, Whiro said:

That’s not entirely true. If the card runs hotter it’ll thermal throttle and not boost as high as card with better cooling solution.

Well yes. But if the card is really so bad that it will throttle it wouldn't be on the market anymore. 

Every gpu is built to meet the expected performance and that card is no difference. 

11 minutes ago, NoGanksEric said:

Well yes. But if the card is really so bad that it will throttle it wouldn't be on the market anymore. 

Every gpu is built to meet the expected performance and that card is no difference. 

Of course it’ll be on the market, but for lower price. That’s the main point of differentiation between cards, why evga have so many cards? Some have better coolers and can hit higher speeds which impacts performance. Don’t get me wrong all cards will hit speeds advertised by nvidia, but cards with better coolers will surpass this. Also most likely they will oc better cos they have more temp headroom  

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

5 hours ago, Whiro said:

Of course it’ll be on the market, but for lower price. That’s the main point of differentiation between cards, why evga have so many cards? Some have better coolers and can hit higher speeds which impacts performance. Don’t get me wrong all cards will hit speeds advertised by nvidia, but cards with better coolers will surpass this. Also most likely they will oc better cos they have more temp headroom  

But even the worst card will probably hit the silicon limits before the temp limit. 

• 2 months later...

I'll just leave my 2 cents of experience here:

I've been gaming on my MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC for months now and I can tell you this: The hottest it has ever run was on Division 2 and Breakpoint when it peaked at 83C after 1 or 2 hours of playing (I kept on playing for a few hours after checking temps and it never went above 83C). I've watched my temps and whatnot on MSI Afterburner and even when the card is pushed to 83C it doesn't throttle, when it's cold it hits 1950mhz and when it's at 83C it hits 1950mhz.

And that's the thing you need to remember, it's cheaper AND it's overclocked. You get very similar if not the same performance as the hundreds of pounds more expensive cards for ... a lower price. And the drawbacks? It runs a bit hotter. Big deal. As long as it doesn't throttle I really couldn't care less - and it doesn't. The only pet peeve I may have is that the fans are very loud, but aside from that I've had 0 issues with it.

If you have a thicc wallet to throw around, obviously get the 3x fan cards, if you're on a tighter budget, this card is an absolute bargain.

35 minutes ago, jensen123 said:

I'll just leave my 2 cents of experience here:

I've been gaming on my MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC for months now and I can tell you this: The hottest it has ever run was on Division 2 and Breakpoint when it peaked at 83C after 1 or 2 hours of playing (I kept on playing for a few hours after checking temps and it never went above 83C). I've watched my temps and whatnot on MSI Afterburner and even when the card is pushed to 83C it doesn't throttle, when it's cold it hits 1950mhz and when it's at 83C it hits 1950mhz.

And that's the thing you need to remember, it's cheaper AND it's overclocked. You get very similar if not the same performance as the hundreds of pounds more expensive cards for ... a lower price. And the drawbacks? It runs a bit hotter. Big deal. As long as it doesn't throttle I really couldn't care less - and it doesn't. The only pet peeve I may have is that the fans are very loud, but aside from that I've had 0 issues with it.

If you have a thicc wallet to throw around, obviously get the 3x fan cards, if you're on a tighter budget, this card is an absolute bargain.

question. if it runs a bit hotter, wont that actually end up thermal throttling? or is it just cutting it close enough to hit peak performance without throttling?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

You guys worry about frequency and throttling..the real issue with bad cooler cards is not really that...it's the NOISE they make...they will spin fans faster and get loud...

Personally I love a quiet PC so I don't buy them.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have been running this card for a few months. It runs consistently at 75c while folding running a solid 1920 to 1935mhz. I have seen the occasional 82c while gaming. The noise isn't enough to bother me. I kind of like hearing something when hardware is going full throttle anyway. FWIW, this is on my toy computer, I don't have to sit next to it all day, that might change my mind.  If your case has good airflow, this card works fine though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Corsair H115i Pro RGB  GPU: MSI RTX2070 Super MB: Asus Tuf x570 RAM: Oloy Warhawk RGB 3600 16GB 

CASE: Sama 3D (cheap junk) STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo+ 500GB

LAPTOP: Alienware Area 51M, I9-9900, RTX2060, 144hz

1 hour ago, ketchupspill said:

question. if it runs a bit hotter, wont that actually end up thermal throttling? or is it just cutting it close enough to hit peak performance without throttling?

I'm not sure, I don't know the actual temp the card has to reach to start throttling. But I've peaked at 83C and had no performance loss. I would imagine MSI thought about the temp limit since the card runs the 'stock' cooler from the standard 2060 (I think) and is overclocked. It would be pointless if the additional performance from the overclock was locked away behind throttling ...

23 minutes ago, 05MilMachine said:

I have been running this card for a few months. It runs consistently at 75c while folding running a solid 1920 to 1935mhz. I have seen the occasional 82c while gaming. The noise isn't enough to bother me. I kind of like hearing something when hardware is going full throttle anyway. FWIW, this is on my toy computer, I don't have to sit next to it all day, that might change my mind.  If your case has good airflow, this card works fine though.

One thing I have tried, although haven't tested enough to say it works 100%, but I stuck a 140mm noctua fan underneath the card so it pushes more air up the cooler and I think I had like a 3C improvement.

7 hours ago, jensen123 said:

One thing I have tried, although haven't tested enough to say it works 100%, but I stuck a 140mm noctua fan underneath the card so it pushes more air up the cooler and I think I had like a 3C improvement.

ah alright. so yeah it its cutting it close, and it might have a couple Cs hgher than others, but still works just fine

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

21 hours ago, jensen123 said:

Might be something to try. I am running a cheaper case with a 280mm AIO rad pushing its air at the card which I don't think helps my situation much. I have three 120mm fans at the top of the case to suck out the heat. It seems to have good airflow although the side window of the case next to the card gets pretty warm.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + Corsair H115i Pro RGB  GPU: MSI RTX2070 Super MB: Asus Tuf x570 RAM: Oloy Warhawk RGB 3600 16GB 

CASE: Sama 3D (cheap junk) STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo+ 500GB

LAPTOP: Alienware Area 51M, I9-9900, RTX2060, 144hz

• 3 weeks later...

So I've been messing around and here is what I experienced:

I'm still not certain if the GPU is actually throttling at 83C, as the max speeds it normally achieves is 1950-75mhz, while at 83C it goes down to about 1850mhz, so 100 less. not sure if that's a big difference or if that's thermalthrottling, but that happens.

Also, I've been playing some AC:O, and the game absolutely shanks the GPU in its liver, but after sticking one 140mm noctua fan under the card to force more air into its cooler, the highest temp while playing AC:O that I got was 71C, so a pretty big improvement and the speeds were able to stay at 1950mhz. I mean this card is the super version that's overclocked and has only 2 fans, so MSI probably pushed it right to the limit, if not went a bit over.

I also tried putting a 80 or 90 whatever mm noctua fan the same way but it made no noticable difference, so I suppose a fan that size is too small to blow enough air.

I also tried putting the same smaller fan as an exhaust fan below the GPU, so I screwed it to the available slots since they have big enough holes for screws to go in, but that setup had zero effect.

On 4/11/2020 at 2:03 PM, 05MilMachine said:

Might be something to try. I am running a cheaper case with a 280mm AIO rad pushing its air at the card which I don't think helps my situation much. I have three 120mm fans at the top of the case to suck out the heat. It seems to have good airflow although the side window of the case next to the card gets pretty warm.

Yeah I suppose one disadvantage of an AIO is that any air from the outside the fans pull in will get to the other components warm because of tha rad. Trying my strategy with the 140mm fan below the gpu might be a good idea for you, I just tested it with my GPU and it seems to have dropped the temp by about 10C.