Asrock extreme 4 x79 active chipset cooling 4820k

Hello I have got my hands on a 4820k and after a band board I got a Asrock Extreme 4 coming by Friday and I am planing on clocking the 4820k to about 4.2 but is that safe as I've not worked with Intel cpus or an Asrock board for clocking and I will be using the quad chanel memory 

As long as you can supply the necessary voltage to push 4.2Ghz on the 4820K and keep both the CPU and your VRMs cool, you should be fine.

Look up an X79 overclocking guide.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I had that board. It's junk. I had an issue where it lost memory slots. Was not cpu or memory related.

These issues are exactly what I encountered. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Asrock+Extreme+4+lost+memory+slots&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS817US817&oq=Asrock+Extreme+4+lost+memory+slots&aqs=chrome..69i57.5575j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry for this kind of information, I'm only sharing what I know.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I had that board. It's junk. I had an issue where it lost memory slots. Was not cpu or memory related.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Asrock+Extreme+4+lost+memory+slots&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS817US817&oq=Asrock+Extreme+4+lost+memory+slots&aqs=chrome..69i57.5575j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's fine I need the board and it was all.i can afford and I appreciate every stories it helps me identify if I get issues so cheers mate

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Also my board is the x79 variant not the z77

Just now, harrywt44 said:

Also my board is the x79 variant not the z77

That era of AsROck was poor quality in general. 

I'm not saying it won't work, just don't push too hard on it, that's all.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

As long as you can supply the necessary voltage to push 4.2Ghz on the 4820K and keep both the CPU and your VRMs cool, you should be fine.

Look up an X79 overclocking guide.

Okay but nothing in particular that would cause a problem to have it run at 4.2 and I put my chip in a board to make sure it I'd working and at stock 3.7 it is only using 1.16 volts and is 1.35 where you'd wan to stop on volts on this platform I've only over worked on amd.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

That era of AsROck was poor quality in general. 

I'm not saying it won't work, just don't push too hard on it, that's all.

Aye I only want it to run 1866mhz in quad chanel and the 4820k at 4.2ghz all core but I wasn't going to be pushing it to the max I'm well if it does what I'm needing it to I want this to last atleast a couple years and I am mating it with a gtx 1070 msi gaming x with a 638 overstock on the memory and 150 on the core for the card and I'm using a rm1000 psu so no issues will come up there but this is an upgrade from a And fx6300 clocked at 4.71 ghz on a 275 bus so hoping this should be a big jump

It's a good upgrade from FX, it'll be good.

Like Crunchy Dragon said, "keep the VRMs and CPU cool" you'll be fine at 4.2/4.4ghz.

6 minutes ago, harrywt44 said:

Okay but nothing in particular that would cause a problem to have it run at 4.2 and I put my chip in a board to make sure it I'd working and at stock 3.7 it is only using 1.16 volts and is 1.35 where you'd wan to stop on volts on this platform I've only over worked on amd.

1.4v is the highest most people recommend for a daily driver PC, 1.45v is where it's generally recommended to stop.

AMD and Intel don't really differ that much when it comes to overclocking, the basic process and rules of thumb hold true for basically everything.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

It's a good upgrade from FX, it'll be good.

Like Crunchy Dragon said, "keep the VRMs and CPU cool" you'll be fine at 4.2/4.4ghz.

Yeah that was what I was thinking on clock speed so thanks mate when I get it up and running end of this week I'll let you know how it goes

1 minute ago, harrywt44 said:

Yeah that was what I was thinking on clock speed so thanks mate when I get it up and running end of this week I'll let you know how it goes

I'll be around. I miss my old 4690K. It was a beast :D

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

1.4v is the highest most people recommend for a daily driver PC, 1.45v is where it's generally recommended to stop.

AMD and Intel don't really differ that much when it comes to overclocking, the basic process and rules of thumb hold true for basically everything.

Okay Crunchy so I'll read myself as well before hand but does Intel benefit like and from a higher bus speed/bclk and what is Intels equivalent to hypertransport also thanks and this is going to be a long term system so thanks 

I'll be around. I miss my old 4690K. It was a beast :D

I'm sure it was but almost everything needs atleast 8 threads now and I take it the 4820k won't choke out my gtx 1070 they should match quite well 

1 minute ago, harrywt44 said:

I'm sure it was but almost everything needs atleast 8 threads now and I take it the 4820k won't choke out my gtx 1070 they should match quite well 

Well compared to an 8700K and higher..... yea there's going to be some Cpu bottle-necking going on. A comparison like that is around 35-40% difference in per core IPC. That's quite a bit. 

Well compared to an 8700K and higher..... yea there's going to be some Cpu bottle-necking going on. A comparison like that is around 35-40% difference in per core IPC. That's quite a bit. 

Aye but that's what board and chip over 300 quid and what I've got board and cpu for 107 pounds all in all so I'm not expecting it to be the best but pretty good and I'm only using it at 1080p 75hz panel but I know there's always some bottleneck but with setting tweaks can over be Iver came also that is huge and if I had the money I'd go for the 8700k and you get the ddr4 bandwidth aswell and that's a 6/12 the 8700k isnt

11 minutes ago, harrywt44 said:

Okay Crunchy so I'll read myself as well before hand but does Intel benefit like and from a higher bus speed/bclk and what is Intels equivalent to hypertransport also thanks and this is going to be a long term system so thanks 

Don't worry about bclk, that can mess up a whole system if you do it wrong.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Don't worry about bclk, that can mess up a whole system if you do it wrong.

Okay thanks but does Intel have alot that needs set if you up the Base clock unlike amd as I only had 5 things that changed the bus speed ram.speed nb and hypertransport does Intel have alot of other stuff as well

3 minutes ago, harrywt44 said:

Okay thanks but does Intel have alot that needs set if you up the Base clock unlike amd as I only had 5 things that changed the bus speed ram.speed nb and hypertransport does Intel have alot of other stuff as well

I'm not aware of Intel having anything like hypertransport.

All I'd worry about honestly is just the CPU clock speed.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm not aware of Intel having anything like hypertransport.

All I'd worry about honestly is just the CPU clock speed.

Aye I will thanks for replies just need to wait on my board coming now but so long as all is well I'll have a much better system than I did have also the gtx 1070 is still a good card or has the new gen made it obsolete now

50 minutes ago, harrywt44 said:

Aye I will thanks for replies just need to wait on my board coming now but so long as all is well I'll have a much better system than I did have also the gtx 1070 is still a good card or has the new gen made it obsolete now

GTX 1070 is a fantastic card, I've got one running with my 5820K.

8 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

GTX 1070 is a fantastic card, I've got one running with my 5820K.

Aye I've been running it for years and it's clocks really well as well 

5 hours ago, harrywt44 said:

Aye I've been running it for years and it's clocks really well as well 

Well I am look at playing sottr and assassins creed odyssey at 1080p what are you getting fps wise on you're system and metro exodus 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just an Update she runs great got 4.6 ghz after a bios update at 1.3 volts but does anyone know how to change percore ratio on the asrock