The end of public anonymity

Blade404

This has to be one of the scariest technology reads in a while.. ?

The Secretive Company That Might End Privacy as We Know It - nytimes

Clearview AI, devised a groundbreaking facial recognition app. You take a picture of a person, upload it and get to see public photos of that person, along with links to where those photos appeared. The system — whose backbone is a database of more than three billion images that Clearview claims to have scraped from Facebook, YouTube, Venmo and millions of other websites — goes far beyond anything ever constructed by the United States government or Silicon Valley giants.

The potential for mis-use here is too huge for me to even begin to contemplate.. its the stuff that should be left as a Hollywood movie plot, not in the hands of a Startup..

Edited by LogicalDrm
Added quote box

15 minutes ago, Blade404 said:

its the stuff that should be left as a Hollywood movie plot, not in the hands of a Startup..

Hollywood now has access to millions of actors. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So when you lock eyes with that person at the mall or on the train, and you just have one of those "I've never seen you before in my life, but let's get married" moments, you can just sneak a pic of them and find out who they are, where they live, and what they like. Then you can set up some romantic date, and either message them or just drive to their house, pick them up and swoon them off their feet. Next thing ya know, you're signing your 3rd child support check for the month with the cockroaches have a luau in your bathtub.

47 minutes ago, Caroline said:

What will the people that always comment "china/russia bad" on posts about this tech have to say about this?

pick one

• They do it to prevent terror attacks
  • It's for national security
  • The government can prevent (pick any crime) by detecting it before it's commited
  • If you have nothing to hide then why worry?
  • It's ok if it's public

How about

• This is bad, regardless of who is doing it

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

56 minutes ago, Caroline said:

What will the people that always comment "china/russia bad" on posts about this tech have to say about this?

pick one

• The government can prevent (pick any crime) by detecting it before it's commited
  • It's ok if it's public
  • it's all for competition in the free market

Fixed that for you.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

So they took the evil half of the TV show Person of Interest and copied it by the book. 

All they need is to feed the ai their own governments data (if they aren't already) and boom, we have an ai with unrestricted and unknown power over the government. What could possibly go wrong? 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

8 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They'd never say that

This is bad, regardless of who’s doing it. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Evey time I look at the news I feel like i'm being sucked into a super shitty Black Mirror episode.

iTs OkAy BeCaUsE i HaVe NoThInG tO hIdE

Main stuff idk

Laptop: Macbook Air M1 2020

Desktop/Gaming PC

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB DDR4 3200

STORAGE: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD - WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC

PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W 80+

Other Stuff

VR Headset: Valve Index

Consoles: Nintendo Switch - Xbox Series X

where did people think all this technology was going?  Seriously if you thought this would never happen or will never happen then you are not looking very hard at humanity.

Technology will either bury us or or make our society a utopian shangri-la.  Either way we will lose all subterfuge on the way. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

39 minutes ago, DKL said:

So they took the evil half of the TV show Person of Interest and copied it by the book. 

All they need is to feed the ai their own governments data (if they aren't already) and boom, we have an ai with unrestricted and unknown power over the government. What could possibly go wrong? 

They might.  Some of the DMVs have been selling data.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ca-dmv-makes-50m-selling-personal-data-report-says/2202432/

Oof looks like everyone who cares about privacy is going to have to wear a mask in public from now on

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

bold of them to assume there are pictures of me on the internet

I've never shared any of the pictures I've taken with the hidden camera I installed in your shower, I promise!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, Worstcaster said:

They also are already uploading their own photos from crimescenes etc. to compare. Thus feeding it increasingly greater data overtime regardless 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

I wonder how this goes with privacy in Australia?   What with copyright being as it is I see a large grey area.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I've never shared any of the pictures I've taken with the hidden camera I installed in your shower, I promise!

:(

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Blade404 said:

Clearview AI, devised a groundbreaking facial recognition app. You take a picture of a person, upload it and get to see public photos of that person, along with links to where those photos appeared. The system — whose backbone is a database of more than three billion images that Clearview claims to have scraped from Facebook, YouTube, Venmo and millions of other websites — goes far beyond anything ever constructed by the United States government or Silicon Valley giants.

The potential for mis-use here is too huge for me to even begin to contemplate.. its the stuff that should be left as a Hollywood movie plot, not in the hands of a Startup..

Facial recognition has it's uses, but this is one of the most evilest things humans have gone into next to landmines (which indiscriminately kills.)

Something can be considered evil if it indiscriminately makes no distinction between good and evil uses. This is why AI and Social media end up being used for evil, quite a bit. But by themselves, a human has to direct it to be evil.

Facial recognition allows law enforcement (in theory good) and marketers (very evil) access to peoples identities like never before. Not only that, it allows one to go on a fishing expedition. So say you've done nothing wrong, then one day you're in the right place at the wrong time. The cops show up at your door, accusing you of being a co-conspirator in some crime that you weren't even aware was happening. All because the AI driving the facial recognition can't tell the difference between perpetrator and witness.

Like, I personally think facial recognition can be used for good, but it needs to be operated at a municipal level at most and law enforcement/first responders should only be able to use it to identify victims and perpetrators, not witnesses. If a witness wants to come forward, that should be their prerogative. If you operate it at a state/provincial/federal level, or an international level (eg interpol) suddenly those weed possessions may as well be a red notice. If Law Enforcement decides someone is a wanted terrorist and wants global cooperation, that needs to be opt-in by the municipalities who have the technology. LEO's really need to a good reason to "fish" for a facial recognition hit (eg active shooter event) and can't just dragnet looking for people committing crimes as though they were operating a pre-crime operation. 

Which brings up the other half of the argument. How do you stay off the radar if you don't want to be tracked?

1. Never go outside

2. Wear heavy clothing like you're going skiing.

3. Hide your hair and ears with hats

4. Apply makeup and removable piercings when you do have to show your face.

Tangent to that. Don't get a passport, don't get a drivers license, and don't take selfies.

And so forth. It also makes people who do the above even more suspicious. 

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

pick one

• It's ok if it's public

As one of those people:

Tech like this, along with many other reasons, is precisely why I say "China/Russia bad." If it starts being used on any scale in the United States, or any country for that matter, I will say "China/Russia/United States/etc. bad"

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

58 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Which brings up the other half of the argument. How do you stay off the radar if you don't want to be tracked?

1. Never go outside

2. Wear heavy clothing like you're going skiing.

3. Hide your hair and ears with hats

4. Apply makeup and removable piercings when you do have to show your face.

Tangent to that. Don't get a passport, don't get a drivers license, and don't take selfies.

And so forth. It also makes people who do the above even more suspicious. 

Even if you do that, there's cameras where you bought that hat/clothing/makeup etc.
They can track the clothing combination. Because AI.

You all should know how this goes by now....

New start up makes scary new tech, the public rages, the corporations don't care. They demo the new tech, corporations get interested then Alphabet buys them for $1B despite them not even having a fully working product and incorporates the tech into Deepmind. We never hear about it again. The End.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Blade404 said:

Samaritan wants to know your location. (Unless Root gets to you first - then you best wish you were dead.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

39 minutes ago, DKL said:

Even if you do that, there's cameras where you bought that hat/clothing/makeup etc.
They can track the clothing combination. Because AI.

Nah there are ways around that. 

But there is "trying not to be tracked" and then there is "trying to operate anonymously while you crime"

You don't want to be tracked if you explicitly want to shop for things that are embarrassing, like sex toys. Versus, trying to purchase anonymously weapons and drugs that would land you in jail.

If you're just trying not to be tracked, stores will accept straight cash, even if you go into the store dressed like a clown. I doubt the same will happen inside a store selling weapons.

I am so fucking glad that the only picture of me on the internet is on my private Instagram account.

Also, not to get political, but

In addition to Mr. Ton-That, Clearview was founded by Richard Schwartz — who was an aide to Rudolph W. Giuliani when he was mayor of New York — and backed financially by Peter Thiel, a venture capitalist behind Facebook and Palantir.

Very interesting.

I think you could look at this one of two ways. 

1) Complete violation of privacy, someone you have never heard of accessing photos, videos, online information everywhere. 

2) Complete privacy online - you know exactly where all your online information and content is - you know where to delete it.