Is this a good build or can it be improved

Sethisfrosty

I have ssd's,fans etc these are the only parts I need and any recommendations if I could get something better or improve.Screenshot_20200120-225724_Chrome.thumb.jpg.73a73f98f54c710d510d4c8a1dac3754.jpg

Go with AMD, check pcpartpicker they haev build guides and already ready part lists for almost all budgets

1 minute ago, Likwid said:

Go with AMD, check pcpartpicker they haev build guides and already ready part lists for almost all budgets

I was going to get an amd 3600 but the motherboards start at $250 aud

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Went with the Dark Rock 4 as it will offer more than enough cooling for the 3600 while remaining super quiet, but if noise isn't that big of a deal for you, you could go with the 3600X and stick with its stock cooler (which is slightly better than the one that comes with the 3600).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I'll recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($314.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($134.20 @ Newegg Australia) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB Video Card  ($440.00 @ Newegg Australia) There is a rx5700 available for $10 more. But it is the crappy Asus tuf model. It has over heating and throttling issues. If you can spend $50 more, then you can go with the sapphire pulse or gigabyte gaming OC varients.
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Total: $1215.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-20 23:46 AEDT+1100

29 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Went with the Dark Rock 4 as it will offer more than enough cooling for the 3600 while remaining super quiet, but if noise isn't that big of a deal for you, you could go with the 3600X and stick with its stock cooler (which is slightly better than the one that comes with the 3600).

No point in adding dark rock 4 to this rig, when same money can be utilized to upgrade the CPU to 3700x.

Also, yes the 3600x has a slightly better cooler than the 3600. But it also has slightly more TDP. Take that into consideration. For budget builds I wouldn't really recommend an aftermarket cooler because the stock one is more than capable of running the CPU at stock speeds.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

1 hour ago, VEXICUS said:

Also, yes the 3600x has a slightly better cooler than the 3600. But it also has slightly more TDP. Take that into consideration. For budget builds I wouldn't really recommend an aftermarket cooler because the stock one is more than capable of running the CPU at stock speeds.

I doubt the 3600 consumes exactly 65W, and the 3600X exactly 95W. I really don't get the TDP difference that's on paper with AMD's 3600/3600X, 3700X/3800X, etc. (and not just AMD is at fault here obviously), as they will probably both consume pretty much the same amount of power, considering both CPUs will boost as high as they can out of the box. Even if the 3600X will run say 150-200MHz higher, it's a better binned chip so it will probably output the same amount of heat as a 3600 that's running that little bit slower.

Edit:

3600pc3600x.thumb.jpg.6fa7a81c2f0436ff54ec05d3f9c19c0e.jpgAbout ~5W difference.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

45 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I doubt the 3600 consumes exactly 65W, and the 3600X exactly 95W. I really don't get the TDP difference that's on paper with AMD's 3600/3600X, 3700X/3800X, etc. (and not just AMD is at fault here obviously), as they will probably both consume pretty much the same amount of power, considering both CPUs will boost as high as they can out of the box. Even if the 3600X will run say 150-200MHz higher, it's a better binned chip so it will probably output the same amount of heat as a 3600 that's running that little bit slower.

Edit:

3600pc3600x.thumb.jpg.6fa7a81c2f0436ff54ec05d3f9c19c0e.jpgAbout ~5W difference.

I guess you are mixing up TDP and power consumption.

Technically speaking, tdp is not exactly the power consumption.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often a CPU, GPU or system on a chip) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.

2 minutes ago, Linus TechTips said:

I guess you are mixing up TDP and power consumption.

Technically speaking, tdp is not exactly the power consumption.

The thermal design power (TDP), sometimes called thermal design point, is the maximum amount of heat generated by a computer chip or component (often a CPU, GPU or system on a chip) that the cooling system in a computer is designed to dissipate under any workload.

I am aware that TDP isn't actual power consumption, but in this case, the small difference in power consumption should equate to just as small of a difference in heat output, as we're talking about identical chips.

18 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I am aware that TDP isn't actual power consumption, but in this case, the small difference in power consumption should equate to just as small of a difference in heat output, as we're talking about identical chips.

It doesn't go that way mate. Yeah, at stock speed, there wont be much of a difference.

Consider a cpu. As we overclock it high, the power draw increases and the heat output also increases significantly. And this is not a constant graph.

Now, coming back to ryzen, turn on PBO and run those power consumption tests again, you'll understand the difference.

38 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The point that I am trying to make is, instead of going with an aftermarket cooler, the CPU can be upgraded to 3700x which will yield more performance in multithreaded applications. Also, the stock 3700x cooler is more than capable of handling 3700x. And it has got RGB as well.

Or else, the GPU can be upgraded to a Rx 5700.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

Just now, VEXICUS said:

The point that I am trying to make is, instead of going with an aftermarket cooler, the CPU can be upgraded to 3700x which will yield more performance in multithreaded applications.

Fair enough, though the Dark Rock only makes up half of the difference in price between the 3600 and the 3700X. I mostly added the aftermarket cooler as OP had one in his original build himself, thinking that they would prefer the system to be as quiet as possible (as the 9400F doesn't allow overclocking so that couldn't have been the reasoning behind it).

24 minutes ago, Linus TechTips said:

It doesn't go that way mate. Yeah, at stock speed, there wont be much of a difference.

Consider a cpu. As we overclock it high, the power draw increases and the heat output also increases significantly. And this is not a constant graph.

Now, coming back to ryzen, turn on PBO and run those power consumption tests again, you'll understand the difference.

As I've already mentioned, we're talking about two CPUs that are identical (3600/3600X). So whether they are both running with PBO on or off, realistically, the difference in frequency of ~200MHz tops won't result in a noticeable difference in temperature, because the 3600X is a better binned chip than the average 3600. This obviously wouldn't have been true if we were talking about two completely different CPUs, which isn't the case here. Also, let's not turn this into some meaningless debate that's not even related to the original post.