Laptop upgrading from 7 to 10

MajorFoley

OK so my step dads laptop finally needs an upgrade to 10 due to 7 losing its security updates. Normally if this was mine I'd do a clean boot and be done with it and just backup my stuff that i wanted. However he is a very... moody guy when it comes to things how he likes it so its gonna be annoying for him going to 10 to begin with. I still read that the upgrade path for free still works and im thinking of going that route. Just wanted some confirmation would most of the programs like firefox google earth (dunno why he bothers) etc still go along for the ride along with its settings? His bookmarks, auto logins etc? Will some files and folders on his desktop still be there after the upgrade or is this something that windows 10 will no longer show?

To be on the safe side I plan on using Macrium reflect to make an image but i thought I'd ask some people who may have already done it.

Ihave upgraded many pcs using software from microsofts web page and never had any problems, maybe some super random software will be uninstalled but other than that had no problems, just make sure to get ssd later on, or add more from if it has 4 gb

4 minutes ago, Likwid said:

Ihave upgraded many pcs using software from microsofts web page and never had any problems, maybe some super random software will be uninstalled but other than that had no problems, just make sure to get ssd later on, or add more from if it has 4 gb

I assume you use that USB installation media thing? He just browses the net and its already got an ssd the laptop is perfect for him. Just hope firefox and things will remember his details because i dont remember them off by heart and i doubt he really cares... (which is something i keep saying to remember your damn passwords)

Uh actual important question, I'm pretty sure the SSD is MBR not GPT and im pretty sure its legacy BIOS. When performing the upgrade should i choose the legacy option or the UEFI option in the boot menu? Is it going to matter? The laptop in question is an old Dell Latitude E5250

Ok i just upgraded to 10 with no issues so far. Apparently windows 10 removed 3 things. Microsoft security essentials (replaced by defender essentially) Intel(R) WiDi which i think is the wireless app that usually comes with like a dongle or laptop (wireless is still working ok) and the Intel(R) USB 3.0 Extensible host controller. I have no idea what this does and why win 10 removed this can someone tell me what it does and is it important?