2700X Idling at 51C Normal?

GTechGeorge

I built an ITX VR PC for my basement a few weeks ago with a 2700X and a GTX 1080. It's got a Noctua NH-L9i Chromax with an AM4 adapter bracket installed and uses Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. When I was messing around with the boot settings I noticed that it idles at 51C, even in the BIOS. I haven't tested any VR games on it yet as I had to move back to my apartment for the starting semester so I don't know how well it fairs in game, but the GPU idles at a respectable 38C. My friend says that Ryzen tends to keep their core clocks very high even when idling. I did switch the memory profile so that my RAM could run at its full 3200MHz speed so I'm not sure if that effected the CPU clocks somehow. Are these temps normal? Because they definitely don't seem like it. The parts list is contained below.

Parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sQTBD3

Totally fine for that flimsy cooler. And btw, its not made for such high power CPU.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

L9 is a fine cooler. High idle temps are normal for Ryzen, don't worry too much about them. Focus on all core load temps. From what I understand, Ryzen with PBO enabled will stop boosting at 80C.

My 2700x idles at ~35c so I would say that's a little high, but I have a bit beefier of a cooler sitting on it and a buttload of case fans providing good airflow direction. I would recommend situating come additional case fans and maybe upgrade the CPU cooler. Here's the base parts list for my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hGWD4D (I have since added additional cooling, etc...)

On 1/23/2020 at 8:17 PM, Osmith said:

I would recommend situating come additional case fans and maybe upgrade the CPU cooler.

The case I picked only allows for two 120mm fans up top, which I have already installed. Also the case can't support much larger of a cooler which is why I bought the NH-L9i and didn't use the stock Wraith Prism

19 minutes ago, StrikerX1360 said:

The case I picked only allows for two 120mm fans up top, which I have already installed. Also the case can't support much larger of a cooler which is why I bought the NH-L9i and didn't use the stock Wraith Prism

I assume you have already, but have you checked that the thermal paste application and seating of the cooler is correct. Also, does the top of the case where the 120mm fans are have aio support - although that could restrict airflow to the rest of the case.