Question regarding Ramsta 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz single stick Overclocked. Luck or dumb move?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

That memory doesn't even list an XMP profile. Ouch man. 

Get what you can from it. CL18, if it works, stick with it. If it'll do 16-18-18 all the better. 

Set only one timing at a time and test for stability at 3200mhz. Just get the timings tight as you can at this speed.

As per the title. 
I bought 2 budget rigs for my 2 kids, both are using the following hardware components except one of them are using my 6months old GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G

Mobo: MSI A320M PRO-E

Ram: Ramsta 8gb ddr4 2666Mhz

It's not running 24/7 (since of course they are kids lol) and I make sure that they turn the systems off lol.

Anyways, I got a bit curious with this specific super budget (super because its way cheaper than on the online price I saw and not to mention it was on sale last month).

3 links below is all I can find an information about the memory.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32888410613.html

https://shopee.ph/Ramsta-8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-Gaming-memory-Auto-Dual-Channel-i.15914422.2483052224

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/ramsta-desktop-memory-8gb-ddr4-2666mhz-with-heatsink-2666mhz-ramsta-ramsta-8gb-2666mhz-ddr4-desktop-ram-dekstop-memory-ddr4-4gb-kingston-eudar-hyperx-samsung-adata-corsair-ama-trading-i457474420-s1178138180.html

And so I went ahead in MSI's friendly bios and tried the "memory try it". Honestly not sure what CL rate it is using because the box it came in does not have any information about it. The aliexpress above, seems to be not true because heck it's a super  budget ram at that cl rate? Oh well, if it's true and it's good I guess?
What I did is to make the speed to 3200Mhz but with a higher cl rate which I know is meh... CL 18. 
To my surprise, it is stable and the usual games they play such as GTA V, CSGO and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege are running quite faster than the stock ram settings. 

So my question is, granted that this is $26 (that is how much I bought them). It does have a heatsink but heck its a super budget ram. Can I consider this as a silicon lottery luck or a bad move degrading the hardware components?

Just luck of the draw. That said nothing will hurt performance more than the fact that they are running in single channel

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

9 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Just luck of the draw. That said nothing will hurt performance more than the fact that they are running in single channel

So, should i leave it as is and it should run for a few years fine? or do I just leave them at stock?
Planning to upgrade to 8x2 3200Mhz for the 2 pc's but not anytime soon ATM. 

Use this program to retrieve your memory information. It'll tell you exactly what modules you have.

thphn160.zip

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Use this program to retrieve your memory information. It'll tell you exactly what modules you have.

thphn160.zip 1.72 MB · 0 downloads

I got cpuz working on stock and it said CL 18 as well which is really weird because there are no website or so stating it is CL 15 aside from that aliexpress website above lol. 
So it's on 2666Mhz CL 18 
Which is why I tried setting in "Memory Try It" bios of MSI. 
Do you think it's pure luck or should I just leave it at stock to be safe since heck its a cheap ram? 

Just now, Booterbotter said:

I got cpuz working on stock and it said CL 18 as well which is really weird because there are no website or so stating it is CL 15 aside from that aliexpress website above lol. 
So it's on 2666Mhz CL 18 
Which is why I tried setting in "Memory Try It" bios of MSI. 
Do you think it's pure luck or should I just leave it at stock to be safe since heck its a cheap ram? 

TyphoonBurner will tell you what modules :IE Hynix or Samsung all the rest of the goodies too. 

Run it, post a picture, as I'm curious exactly what you do have.

Luck at 3200mhz on single channel..... Meh no not really. Not at Cas 18.

You'd have luck If it runs Cas 14 or tighter at that frequency.......

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

TyphoonBurner will tell you what modules :IE Hynix or Samsung all the rest of the goodies too. 

Run it, post a picture, as I'm curious exactly what you do have.

Luck at 3200mhz on single channel..... Meh no not really. Not at Cas 18.

You'd have luck If it runs Cas 14 or tighter at that frequency.......

got it, I'll test it later and set the speed back to default then :)
I'll check if it would drastically lower the performance on those 3 games they play.

1 minute ago, Booterbotter said:

got it, I'll test it later and set the speed back to default then :)
I'll check if it would drastically lower the performance on those 3 games they play.

It's not a stress test. It just shows specs.

Here is example.

select EPROM tab, the select read SPD.

TyphoonBurner example..png

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's not a stress test. It just shows specs.

Here is example.

select EPROM tab, the select read SPD.

TyphoonBurner example..png

Yup, I mean basing on your last statement. Since it's a single stick even with 3200Mhz but CL 18, it does not seem to be worth it hehe.

Just now, Booterbotter said:

Yup, I mean basing on your last statement. Since it's a single stick even with 3200Mhz but CL 18, it does not seem to be worth it hehe.

How can we tune your memory stick then? 

Might as well squeeze what you can from it. 

Frequency brings bandwidth and lower latency. 

Gonna run some quick test later, their a bit over reacting when they have a lower FPS on their games specially on competitive games lmao. 
Kids nowadays -_- 

Thanks for that program, I'll check and post later the results.

my main account got locked out so I created a new one -_-

here are the details

PC1 with the gtx 1050 Ti

image.png.13bb5e333242f67b49f9c1319d413d4a.png

22 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

How can we tune your memory stick then? 

Might as well squeeze what you can from it. 

Frequency brings bandwidth and lower latency. 

Up, finally got my account back lol.

see the details above, it is not even CL 18 sorry. It is CL 20 it seems lol.

I use CL18 on the MSI bios memory try it.

Get what you can from it. CL18, if it works, stick with it. If it'll do 16-18-18 all the better. 

Set only one timing at a time and test for stability at 3200mhz. Just get the timings tight as you can at this speed.

49 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

yup, budget ram it is lol
Thanks for the recommendation. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/21/2020 at 5:28 AM, Booterbotter said:

Up, finally got my account back lol.

see the details above, it is not even CL 18 sorry. It is CL 20 it seems lol.

I use CL18 on the MSI bios memory try it.

Hello lad. May I know your timings and voltages from your 3200mhz oc? I also bought 2x8 2666 ramsta too