Ryzen 7 60c Idle

RylanStylin

I just upgraded my PC, and Bought an R7 3800x. I am using the Wriath Prism RGB stock cooler. I have 6 Corsair case fans installed, so there is more than enough airflow.  I am Idling at 60c.  When I push on the cooler, forcing it closer to the CPU, my temperatures drop to 40c. I have double checked that the clips that hold the cooler in place are engaged. The Cooler is not making proper contact with the CPU.  I do not know what I have done wrong in installation.  I have looked up guides and did exactly as they say. 

PLEASE HELP!

4 minutes ago, RylanStylin said:

When I push on the cooler, forcing it closer to the CPU, my temperatures drop to 40c

this says either uneven pressue, bad thermal paste spread or that you didn't remove the plastic from the bottom of the cooler.

Take the cooler off, wipe of thermal paste and start again

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Well I think you've already proven to yourself that it's a bad mount, but I can't tell you exactly how to fix it.  I'd make sure the latch is fully depressed and that it's little square hook is completely seated on the bracket.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, RylanStylin said:

Yes stu

I am not stupid

You don't have to be stupid to make mistakes building a PC.

If you have made a mistake don't let it get to you, we are not born knowing how to build. 

Smile, shake it off and fix it. If you didnt kill a component all is fine.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Sorry stu.

I was very frustrated when I made that post. 

You are correct NineEye.

This being my first AMD system, I absolutely hate the AM4 socket mounting (at least what my AIO uses).  The stock cooler requires a considerable amount of force to flip that lever locking mechanism, to the point I thought I might actually break it.  You probably just need to remount it.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Yes, I did that yesterday. Worked fine. don't know what I did wrong the last time. 

thanks