New Smash Ultimate DLC character announced, additional DLC confirmed - More fighters in the future

minibois

With the livestream featuring Mr. Sakurai himself today, we have a lot of Smash Bros. news to go over. Stick with me, or read the highlights at the bottom of my post!

image.thumb.png.c6492461d60e474130a749cfc388cb88.png

The announcement

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had its first year anniversary just last month and at its release had already an impressive 69 (or up to 74, depending on how you count) character count. With 5 DLC fighters, that count was already upped. Today Nintendo announced another DLC fighter, to finish close out the first Fighters Pass

This new character is Byleth, from the Fire Emblem: Three Houses game and will appear in a male and female form (as do some other Fire Emblem fighters). This character will be available from January 18th and onward and will be 5.99 USD on its own, or 24.99 USD when purchased in the Fighters Pass (with four other characters).

There will also be a new stage, music and new spirit board with this DLC.

On top of that, there will is also more DLC, new amiibos and even a new Fighters Pass for 2021. More on those later.

image.png.f05684379b5757c2b8f0ee56c6e2e535.png

Byleth concludes Fighters Pass 1

Thread contents:

- What we knew before-hand

- About Byleth

- More DLC than just a fighter

- New amiibos

- New Fighter Pack

- Personal thoughts

- Sources (including the 38 minute stream and timestamps)

- The Highlights!

What we knew before-hand

Earlier this week (Tuesday January 14th), we already knew we would get a Nintendo Direct livestream, where a new character for the game would be announced. Today (Thursday January 16th) there was a livestream where series creator Mr. Sakurai would be unveiling this newest addition to the game.

People were already speculating who this new character addition would have been. Popular picks would include some - as I would assume - less serious picks like Goku and Steve (from Minecraft), some more serious suggestions like Waluigi and probably the most suggested option; Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

When it wasn't long until the livestream started, a thumbnail appeared (which I unfortunately couldn't find anymore, if you have it, please link it!) with three questions marks on it.

This sparked some more character suggestions, like the Toss Boys from Rhythm Heaven. 

In the 38 minute livestream we see an awesome animated trailer and we see Mr. Sakurai announce these characters, talk about the Fire Emblem series backstory and of course show the characters in game too (11:14). Full video and timestamps below.

Byleth, the new character

As said before, Byleth is from the Fire Emblem series, specifically from the 'Three Houses' games. This of course explains the 'three question marks' thumbnail I talked about earlier.

Byleth will appear in both male and female forms.

This character won't have the same playstyle as any other character, as they can use a bow, battleaxe or sword depending on the attack. I am pretty sure I even saw a whip to grapple onto the ledge. This makes it stand out from the other Fire Emblem characters, as those usually either only use magic attacks (Robin) or sword attacks (the others).

A new stage, called Garreg Mach Monastery, will also appear in the game. This stage has a couple different layouts to it.

More than just a character

This new character is not the only thing to be added to the game. There will of course also be more music added, plus a new stage and a new spirit board.

There will also be new Mii Fighter costumes, including costumes inspired by Altair (Assassins' Creed), Rabbids (from the Raving Rabbids series), Megaman X and Megaman Battle Network series.  Even a Cuphead costume!

These costumes will be 0.75 USD each. The Cuphead costume also includes a music track.

More amiibos!

Nintendo will also release two new amiibos, Dark Samus and Richter. (available January 17th). These fighters have been included in the game since launch, but had not gotten an amiibo yet.

image.thumb.png.785fdb846225f5ce2fbb18ce4e0543ef.png

New amiibos, (Seems like the camera didn't focus that well on these)

With these two, I am pretty sure all the base game characters has an amiibo now. (plus Piranha Plant)

New fighters

image.thumb.png.7813b801f125ec3a9a263cb384b21cfa.png

Fighters Pass 2 will include 6 more characters!

During this announcement, Mr. Sakurai also talked about a new Fighters Pass that is in the works to be released December 31st 2021. That is probably the date when all of the fighters are released. This time we had some fighters earlier than another time.

This pass will feature six, instead of five characters. These characters have already been decided on, so tweeting Mr. Sakurai suggestions probably won't help (although speculation would be fun!).

This pass will also feature a purchase bonus in the form of a Mii fighter costume:

image.png.cdfc6057d0d6401bd2440715d93e5a45.png

This is the Ancient Soldier gear from Breath of the Wild.

My personal thoughts

Holy smokes, that's a lot of content!

A new character is one thing, but when you unpack it, this 40 minute presentation packed in: a character, stage, music, spirit board, Mii costumes, new amiibos, new Fighter Pack confirmed (6 characters) and a purchase bonus for that pack!

The amiibos look especially awesome to me.

Two suggestions I personally had for the new character were either a new Pokemon Trainer (which would explain the three question marks, as that is three Pokemon) or I personally also suggested Prof. Layton (+ Luke + Flora/Emmy). This would have also explained away the question marks (as that series is all about riddles), plus that would have also been three characters.

Sources:

Nintendo livestream: 

Timestamps:

Spoiler

00:05 Animated cinematic trailer

01:37 Ingame trailer (male)

02:00 More animated cinematics

02:55 Ingame trailer (female)

03:58 Mr. Sakurai!

04:33 What is Fire Emblem (Three Houses)?? ?

08:00 how to count in binary on your fingers

10:49 Pre-recorded!! (in November)

11:14 in-game showcase

21:24 New stage: Garreg Mach Monastery

26:57 Mr. Sakurai absolutely beating the heck out of Fire Emblem characters with DLC characters!

30:02: New Songs

30:37 New Spirit Board

31:13 Mii Fighter Costumes

31:30 Altair (Assassins' Creed)

31:45 Rabbids (Raving Rabbids)

32:00 Megaman X

32:11 Megaman Battle Network

32:22 Cuphead!

33:15 Mr. Sakurai talking about Cuphead

33:49 New Amiibo (Richter and Dark Samus)

34:05 The Fighters Pass is now complete

35:06 New DLC Fighters Pass confirmed

36:32 What will be added extra in Fighters Pass 2

36:57 Lastly.. Smash Ultimate is the best selling fighting game.

38:32 Look at that adorable wave!! ?

When we knew about the announcement: https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/14/21065249/smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-fighter-january-masahiro-sakurai-nintendo-switch

Fighters Pass: https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

More fighters in the future: https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/16/21068651/super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-fighters-pass-2-release-date

The highlights

In short, we will have a new character Byleth, new stage, more music, new Spirit Board, more Mii Fighter costumes, new amiibos, Fighters Pass 2 with six new fighters is confirmed and Smash is now officially the highest selling fighting game of all time!

P.S. if you want to watch this video and disguise is as educational, you should totally check out 8:00, where Mr. Sakurai explains how to count in binary on your fingers!

P.P.S. I would like to make some more news threads in the future. If you have any feedback, that would be lovely. Thanks for reading.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

All I've gotten out of this direct is that there are six more chances for Minecraft Steve as an addition.

Come on Sakurai make it happen you coward.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Well it could almost have been like the pokemon trailer where the downvotes were the majority.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

O my, more FE characters.

It is like,

Everyone:  We got enough sword fighters, yet?

Nintendo:  Yes, but no.

Now, can someone drop the idea in their ear to put a monster hunter character in (for luls, please the Admiral or a Palico xD).

13 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

excuse me while i put some smash copypasta in here

Reveal hidden contents

aight i'm out... see ya!

I think at this rate that character and Waluigi are used to troll the player base.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

7 hours ago, CircleTech said:

When is the smash ultimate shrek DLC coming out?

Not soon enough damnit!

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

I think at this rate that character and Waluigi are used to troll the player base.

Spoiler

hey

Spoiler

hey

Spoiler

hey

Spoiler

hey

Spoiler

geno and Waluigi for smash...

Spoiler

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

17 hours ago, minibois said:

image.thumb.png.7813b801f125ec3a9a263cb384b21cfa.png

Fighters Pass 2 will include 6 more characters!

TF2 Heavy confirmed for Smash

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor