Get Dolby Vision instead of HDR10 on Windows 10?

FinnishArmy

Hi there!

I have a Vizio 70" 4k which supports both, HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

After testing both HDR10 (through Windows 10) and Dolby Vision (Through the TV App), I find that Dolby Vision on Netflix looks 10times better.

• Colours are not washed out on Dolby Vision like they are in HDR10
  • Dolby Vision is also much brighter than HDR10.

I have my PC hooked up to a Dolby Atmos (not to confuse with Vision) receiver which I use to watch Netflix and other movies through my computer. I don't have an easy way to hook up my TV to the receiver unless I get optical (which only supports 7.1 and not bitstream). Anyway...

Is there anyway to get Dolby Vision working on Windows 10 through the Netflix app? I pay for the top tier so UHD works for me.

I've tried downloading the Dolby Vision app which only gives me a slider which supposedly turns Dolby Vision on. And that kind of works, when it's switched to on, the Netflix app shows "Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos", but my TV is only running in HDR10 and when I try to load up any movie/tv show it just crashes the app until I either turn off HDR10 (which also turns off Dolby Vision) or just turn off Dolby Vision through their Dolby Vision app.

Anyone have any success with Dolby Vision through their PC?

Im not sure how to get that working on the pc front, but in regards to Netflix at least, is there a reason you can not use the built in app for your tv assuming it has one?

On 1/15/2020 at 7:29 PM, FinnishArmy said:
  • Colours are not washed out on Dolby Vision like they are in HDR10
  • Dolby Vision is also much brighter than HDR10.

You're doing something wrong there, that's not supposed to happen.

The only real meaningful difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision is... too technical to talk about. Basically you can present dark scenes with less banding, more effective bits to work with.

It's unlikely Windows will support Dolby Vision because it'll mess up the desktop. A much simpler solution is to just run the screen in 12-bit.

• 3 months later...

Dolby HDR will never be supported by Windows. The devs of Microsoft are instructed to profit and not support a 3rd party solution.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 1:34 AM, Richatron said:

I'm guessing UWP applications will need to specifically use it via API. It's not going to magically work in Win32 media players.

Edge recently received Dolby Vision support. I haven't tested it but I think the entire Windows desktop will run in Dolby Vision mode when HDR is enabled.

• 6 months later...

What do we need to make it work? 

man, i am spinning round and round in this question.

I have a PC

AMD-2700x

RTX580

Windows 10 64bits

So, if i have a TV that has dolby vision and a Marantz SR8015. 

Simple connection Hdmi PC to Hdmi Av receiver and Hdmi Receiver to hdmi to TV

So i can do dolby atmos. Now whats the problem within this specs of having compatibility issues with dolby vision?

do i need software players to play DV content ? App on Netflix works or simply the Microsoft edge fix it?

Can i buy a UHD 4k player and play discs UHD 4K content on my pc?

too many questions to find aswers somewere in the internet...

HELP LINUS!!!

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, Monstieur said:

It works only on Dolby Vision licensed pre-built systems.

Is there a source on that as there seems to be very little information on the "Dolby Vision Extensions" app. If you just go by what's on the page  "This application requires a Dolby Vision licensed device." could be referring to a Dolby Vision licensed display or even just buying a license through the Dolby Access app. If it's not just referring to display compatibility is the app meant for professional studios. Why is it releasing years after Dolby Vision has been in use by professionals. Easier distribution? More streamlined update process? Easier adoption for smaller studios? I can't find the answers and it's been a couple months of me hoping Dolby Vision is finally availible on PC. Does licensed devices include the handful of consumer laptops with Dolby Vision. If only someone could test this ideally with the newest version of makemkv.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, voltewhen said:

Is there a source on that as there seems to be very little information on the "Dolby Vision Extensions" app. If you just go by what's on the page  "This application requires a Dolby Vision licensed device." could be referring to a Dolby Vision licensed display or even just buying a license through the Dolby Access app. If it's not just referring to display compatibility is the app meant for professional studios. Why is it releasing years after Dolby Vision has been in use by professionals. Easier distribution? More streamlined update process? Easier adoption for smaller studios? I can't find the answers and it's been a couple months of me hoping Dolby Vision is finally availible on PC. Does licensed devices include the handful of consumer laptops with Dolby Vision. If only someone could test this ideally with the newest version of makemkv.

AFAIK professional displays including Dolby's own reference monitors do not support Dolby Vision. They follow PQ strictly with hard clipping. The mastering workstation must perform all processing including Dolby Vision tone mapping for preview, Dolby Vision metadata generation for export, and output a plain HDR10 PQ signal to the reference monitor. The operating system is aware only of a HDR10 display.

Dolby Vision on the consumer side is to tone map Dolby Vision exported content to an unknown display. I believe a license is required on the source device just to bit stream Dolby Vision content, and thus the Dolby Vision Extensions UWP app exists.

10 hours ago, Monstieur said:

AFAIK professional displays including Dolby's own reference monitors do not support Dolby Vision. They follow PQ strictly with hard clipping. The mastering workstation must perform all processing including Dolby Vision tone mapping for preview, Dolby Vision metadata generation for export, and outputs a plain HDR10 PQ signal to the reference monitor. The operating system is aware only of a HDR10 display.

Dolby Vision on the consumer side is to tone map Dolby Vision exported content to an unknown display. I believe a license is required on the source device just to bit stream Dolby Vision content, and thus the Dolby Vision Extensions UWP app exists.

I was thinking more along the lines of professionals would use it to check their work on a consumer television. You mentioned Dolby Vision licensed pre-built systems and there aren't any for consumers besides some Lenovo laptops and newer Dell XPS laptops so I thought maybe it was for system integrators selling to studios.

I am pretty sure another user is right in that it provides an API for other applications to access mainly Windows 10's Movies & TV app as apparently the Netflix app worked fine without it because Lenovo released their Dolby Vision Netflix certified laptops before this app existed (at least publicly). My real question is whether this Dolby Vision playback ability extends to local files or just streamed content from Microsoft and is it for any device or just like the maybe 10 laptops that exist that are Dolby Vision licensed? It feels like no one on the internet has answered these questions. I don't think it would make sense to make something that so few people could use unless we're about to get a wave of new Dolby Vision licensed systems.

8 hours ago, voltewhen said:

I was thinking more along the lines of professionals would use it to check their work on a consumer television. You mentioned Dolby Vision licensed pre-built systems and there aren't any for consumers besides some Lenovo laptops and newer Dell XPS laptops so I thought maybe it was for system integrators selling to studios.

I am pretty sure another user is right in that it provides an API for other applications to access mainly Windows 10's Movies & TV app as apparently the Netflix app worked fine without it because Lenovo released their Dolby Vision Netflix certified laptops before this app existed (at least publicly). My real question is whether this Dolby Vision playback ability extends to local files or just streamed content from Microsoft and is it for any device or just like the maybe 10 laptops that exist that are Dolby Vision licensed? It feels like no one on the internet has answered these questions. I don't think it would make sense to make something that so few people could use unless we're about to get a wave of new Dolby Vision licensed systems.

It's for those few licensed laptops. The API is usable by Edge and other UWP apps, presumably through Media Foundation. It shouldn't matter if the files are local or streamed.

Apps can also license Dolby Vision directly without using the system provided extensions. Games like Battlefield 1 did this, but it requires support from the GPU driver to transmit metadata to a compatible TV. The GPU support has been broken for a long time, so the only way right now is through licensed laptops.

22 hours ago, Monstieur said:

It's for those few licensed laptops. The API is usable by Edge and other UWP apps, presumably through Media Foundation. It shouldn't matter if the files are local or streamed.

Apps can also license Dolby Vision directly without using the system provided extensions. Games like Battlefield 1 did this, but it requires support from the GPU driver to transmit metadata to a compatible TV. The GPU support has been broken for a long time, so the only way right now is through licensed laptops.

That's sort of dissapointing but that would explain the lack of anyone talking about it. There's so many hoops to jump through just to get it. It shouldn't matter if the files are local or streamed or not but I wouldn't be surprised if measures were taken to prevent just that in the name of anti-piracy. I made an account to post in this thread in the hopes that someone would have all the necessary hardware to check, now that the requirements are clear. Realistically I don't know who would have one of these laptops, know about the extensions, have a Dolby Vision TV, and be in possesion of ripped Blu Rays or at least Dolby Vision test files.

5 minutes ago, voltewhen said:

That's sort of dissapointing but that would explain the lack of anyone talking about it. There's so many hoops to jump through just to get it. It shouldn't matter if the files are local or streamed or not but I wouldn't be surprised if measures were taken to prevent just that as an anti-piracy measure. I made an account to post in this thread in the hopes that someone would have all the necessary hardware to check, now that the requirements are clear. Realistically I don't know who would have one of these laptops, know about the extensions, have a Dolby Vision display, and be in possesion of ripped Blu Rays or at least Dolby Vision test files.

There's no local file protection on the E-AC-3 Atmos decoder. You can play E-AC-3 Atmos files locally using a Media Foundation player like Movies & TV, and it can render all objects with Dolby Atmos for headphones. However, it cannot decode TrueHD Atmos from Blu-rays. Similarly, the Dolby Vision extensions would probably support only single-layer Dolby Vision files and not the dual-layer files found in Blu-rays. It's possible to convert a Blu-ray from TrueHD Atmos and dual-layer Dolby Vision to E-AC-3 Atmos and single-layer Dolby Vision. The audio conversion is lossy, but the video conversion is lossless.

The same limitations exist in LG's internal media player. If you had an LG OLED, you can just stream E-AC-3 Atmos & single-layer Dolby Vision files from your PC via DLNA, or use a USB drive. You don't really need PC support for Dolby Vision.

18 hours ago, Monstieur said:

There's no local file protection on the E-AC-3 Atmos decoder. You can play E-AC-3 Atmos files locally using a Media Foundation player like Movies & TV, and it can render all objects with Dolby Atmos for headphones. However, it cannot decode TrueHD Atmos from Blu-rays. Similarly, the Dolby Vision extensions would probably support only single-layer Dolby Vision files and not the dual-layer files found in Blu-rays. It's possible to convert a Blu-ray from TrueHD Atmos and dual-layer Dolby Vision to E-AC-3 Atmos and single-layer Dolby Vision. The audio conversion is lossy, but the video conversion is lossless.

The same limitations exist in LG's internal media player. If you had an LG OLED, you can just stream E-AC-3 Atmos & single-layer Dolby Vision files from your PC via DLNA, or use a USB drive. You don't really need PC support for Dolby Vision.

While there are no file based protections for eac3, media players could still simply choose to not use the Dolby Vision extensions when playing local files and then you won't have Dolby Vision. You're probably right about no dual layer support as I suspect this was made primarily to enhance streaming capabilities. I hadn't thought about that. Movies & TV was never a choice video player but I did hope that this meant DV support would come to more applicatons. I came here in search of answers about it's current implementation of Dolby Vision Extensions to see if it was worth looking into any further. As for why you would even want  DV support on PC IDK, price performance differences? I'm only here out of personal interest in the subject not looking for product recommendations. If someone were looking for the best blu ray playback experience they have had plenty of time to buy a WebOS tv or shield and throw Plex on it or even an actual blu-ray player.

I'm happy you responded I thought the thread would be dead when I made my account.

• 2 months later...

I hate this tech age.

HDR has been around since EVER and you can`t even play a damn HDR on SDR screen or the opposite without wasting hours and days learning the crazy tech stuff trying to understand why VLC can`t properly convert HDR stuff to show correctly on a SDR screen, downloading 20 different players and codes, fiddle fiddle fiddle and NOTHING WORKS... JEZZ, NOTHING WORKS 100%. Computers are machines that always should work and humans keep f*kin sh*t upp all day long... 
We even have to pay DOLBY ACCESS or DTS to play 5.1 or 7.1 audio on our PCs... AND IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE. 

And now I just saw that there is a DOLBY VISION app on the Wincrap Store... 
FVCK THAT, it`s like paying for a video player/codec and that probably won't even work properly! 
2021 MY DUDES! Yet it feels like I`m in the 1990`s fiddling with 20 different black tech boxes to process audio, video, strange formats, etc, while not having manuals nor internet access! 
If I buy a discount Asus 1080p SDR 16500000hz monitor (full of tech lies and tech garbagery)... 
Or if I buy a 500.000 USD Samsung 700" HDR100000000 1000% GAMULT COLOR 0LED TOTAL REAL DARK FULL SUN BRIGHT 1 MILLION TRILLION PIXELS EYE BURNING FOSFATE TITANIUM BURNER TRIPLE ARRAY BACKLIGHT FRONT LIGHT SMELL FIRE BALLS LICKER DETECTOR, no matter what, ALL the customer should do is press a button in a media player to tell it if you want it to render HDR or SDR, and simillar stuff for color acurracy, brightness, etc. THE FILES ARE SAVED IN THE DISCS OR YOUR PC, 100% SHOULD BE A DAMN AUTOMATED PROCESS!!!!!
YET HERE WE ARE, 2021 AND NOTHING WORKS, NOTHING IS EASY TO SET UP AND I'M GONNA EAT DIRT BRICKS WITH ROCKS FOR LUNCH UNTIL MY DNA GOES BACK TO NEANDERTHAL AND I ATTACK THE NEIGHBOHOURHOOD SCREAMING "U U U A A AAAAAAAA". 

2 hours ago, sonicfelipemt said:

I hate this tech age.

HDR has been around since EVER and you can`t even play a damn HDR on SDR screen or the opposite without wasting hours and days learning the crazy tech stuff trying to understand why VLC can`t properly convert HDR stuff to show correctly on a SDR screen, downloading 20 different players and codes, fiddle fiddle fiddle and NOTHING WORKS... JEZZ, NOTHING WORKS 100%. Computers are machines that always should work and humans keep f*kin sh*t upp all day long... 
We even have to pay DOLBY ACCESS or DTS to play 5.1 or 7.1 audio on our PCs... AND IT SOUNDS TERRIBLE. 

And now I just saw that there is a DOLBY VISION app on the Wincrap Store... 
FVCK THAT, it`s like paying for a video player/codec and that probably won't even work properly! 
2021 MY DUDES! Yet it feels like I`m in the 1990`s fiddling with 20 different black tech boxes to process audio, video, strange formats, etc, while not having manuals nor internet access! 
If I buy a discount Asus 1080p SDR 16500000hz monitor (full of tech lies and tech garbagery)... 
Or if I buy a 500.000 USD Samsung 700" HDR100000000 1000% GAMULT COLOR 0LED TOTAL REAL DARK FULL SUN BRIGHT 1 MILLION TRILLION PIXELS EYE BURNING FOSFATE TITANIUM BURNER TRIPLE ARRAY BACKLIGHT FRONT LIGHT SMELL FIRE BALLS LICKER DETECTOR, no matter what, ALL the customer should do is press a button in a media player to tell it if you want it to render HDR or SDR, and simillar stuff for color acurracy, brightness, etc. THE FILES ARE SAVED IN THE DISCS OR YOUR PC, 100% SHOULD BE A DAMN AUTOMATED PROCESS!!!!!
YET HERE WE ARE, 2021 AND NOTHING WORKS, NOTHING IS EASY TO SET UP AND I'M GONNA EAT DIRT BRICKS WITH ROCKS FOR LUNCH UNTIL MY DNA GOES BACK TO NEANDERTHAL AND I ATTACK THE NEIGHBOHOURHOOD SCREAMING "U U U A A AAAAAAAA". 

ummm..yea dolby vision is a pain on the comp, but we do have dolby and dts on our comps. all the way to full atmos (at least 7.1.4) as long as the source has it whether a game, movie, or show. now "simulated" dolby for headphones? yes you pay for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow,

Very interesting discussion !

I downloaded MKV files with Dolby Vision, I have a Dolby Vision enabled TV and from what I understand, I cannot use a HDMI cable to play the movie to my TV but I can use a Nvidia Shield with Kodi to do just that..?

Is that true ?

9 hours ago, Specer said:

Wow,

Very interesting discussion !

I downloaded MKV files with Dolby Vision, I have a Dolby Vision enabled TV and from what I understand, I cannot use a HDMI cable to play the movie to my TV but I can use a Nvidia Shield with Kodi to do just that..?

Is that true ?

If the file is correctly encoded for single layer Dolby Vision, you can play it on a Shield. You can also use the built-in media player on the TV. There is no way to play any kind of Dolby Vision file on a PC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, Monstieur said:

"just".

Just have to work out two unsupported decoders and encoders, navigate generating an RPU, browse endless forum threads of people using either the Shield or one specific Android box on one specific firmware revision.

Could you please share any info you have on converting to the single layer, profile 8.1 format? I have spent a silly number of hours trying to make this work. The only way I can see this being possible is re-encoding through the latest x265 after extracting an RPU with dovi_tool. I can play the Dolby Vision test files, but that's about all I can do (using the built in LG CX player).

24 minutes ago, voltagex said:

"just".

Just have to work out two unsupported decoders and encoders, navigate generating an RPU, browse endless forum threads of people using either the Shield or one specific Android box on one specific firmware revision.

Could you please share any info you have on converting to the single layer, profile 8.1 format? I have spent a silly number of hours trying to make this work. The only way I can see this being possible is re-encoding through the latest x265 after extracting an RPU with dovi_tool. I can play the Dolby Vision test files, but that's about all I can do (using the built in LG CX player).

I haven't tried it but I believe it's fully automated in the latest MakeMKV - from the original disc or even from an 'old' format remux which has the separate streams. You have to generate a lossy E-AC-3 stream if you want to decode to PCM on most players. Players can bitstream True HD but usually can decode only E-AC-3.

4 hours ago, Monstieur said:

I haven't tried it but I believe it's fully automated in the latest MakeMKV - from the original disc or even from an 'old' format remux which has the separate streams. You have to generate a lossy E-AC-3 stream if you want to decode to PCM on most players. Players can bitstream True HD but usually can decode only E-AC-3.

Yes, I'm using MakeMKV. The LG CX can't play DoVi out of MKV, and Plex is still showing two "different" streams and only triggering HDR, not Dolby Vision.

6 hours ago, voltagex said:

Yes, I'm using MakeMKV. The LG CX can't play DoVi out of MKV, and Plex is still showing two "different" streams and only triggering HDR, not Dolby Vision.

Both LG's player and Plex running on WebOS require MP4 or TS containers to play Dolby Vision remuxes. The advantage of the 'new' MakeMKV is that some metadata is preserved for the Dolby Vision stream, and you can use this MKV as the source to remux to MP4 instead of the disc. There are updated tools which can recover the metadata from an 'old' MKV though. In either case you'll need to remux to MP4 once again.

• 3 weeks later...

It is difficult setting up dolly on pc. Probably your PC does not support dolby. Also for the netflix, can't you have the reflex app downloaded on your TV?  I am a bit lost here. anyways you can check out this forum hopefully it helps