Is there something wrong with my new PSU?

Pomfrit
Go to solution Solved by Spaceman_Wil,

That's totally fine. An increase like that would be normal. From what you've described about your PSU, it sounds like normal behavior. If it is a bit warm to the touch, the added temps to your overall system would be explained like that. Anything that heats up the air inside your case will have that effect. What I'd recommend would be a second fan on the front of your case to pull that fresh air in and another fan on the top slot of your case pushing out. That would probably be a rather big impact on your temps.

Additionally, I'd 100% recommend an aftermarket cooler for your CPU. That'll help too! Noctua makes some great stuff that fits in just about everything.

Hello everyone im new here. Wanted to ask some thing about my new psu... today i bough a cooler master masterwatt 450w and it gets pretty hot when i touch it... also it doesnt seem to blow out air in the back when i put my hand then.... im worries it will overheat.. also the fan starts spinning only when gaming and still it does not blow put air at rear of my pc... also my cpu and mobo temperatures are a bit higher now... i hope everything is ok with my psu, is it normal that i cant feel the air at rear side? Also when i touch the case at the top its warm... sorry for my bad english, also this is my first post, dont get mad at me ?

4F102E87-0CD7-4F4F-B8B1-942F413814A8.jpeg

That's normal for any modern PSU..... 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Power Supplies (Or most parts with a fan) have a thermal limit. Once that part hits a certain temp, the fans engage (Or spin faster) and start to get it below that limit.

15 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Power Supplies (Or most parts with a fan) have a thermal limit. Once that part hits a certain temp, the fans engage (Or spin faster) and start to get it below that limit.

But what bothers me is that the fan is spinning but i cant feel and ait coming iut at back :/ also cpu and mobo are a bit hotter.... and my pc case is warm where my psu is

10 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

That's normal for any modern PSU..... 

But what bothers me is that its pretty warm/hot and i dont feel any air coming out at back...also why does my cpu have higher temps now and my mobo

How's your airflow through the PC? And what kind of temps are we talking? Is there anyway you could upload a pic of the inside of your machine?

Just now, Spaceman_Wil said:

How's your airflow through the PC? And what kind of temps are we talking? Is there anyway you could upload a pic of the inside of your machine?

I will upload a picture when im home. At full load my cpu had 60-62 degrees now it has like 65-66..

mobo has too like 2degrees more... gpu is same exept its a bit louder now maybe...

never had problems with temperatures before.

i have 1 front fan

1rear fan

psu fan

2gpu fans

and stock cpu fan

temperatures were always the same , but today when i installed my new psu i get a bit higher temps

my specs: i5 2400

gtx 1050 ti

16gb ram

1hdd, will soon buy ssd

That's totally fine. An increase like that would be normal. From what you've described about your PSU, it sounds like normal behavior. If it is a bit warm to the touch, the added temps to your overall system would be explained like that. Anything that heats up the air inside your case will have that effect. What I'd recommend would be a second fan on the front of your case to pull that fresh air in and another fan on the top slot of your case pushing out. That would probably be a rather big impact on your temps.

Additionally, I'd 100% recommend an aftermarket cooler for your CPU. That'll help too! Noctua makes some great stuff that fits in just about everything.

1 minute ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Thanks man, tonight i will sleep like a baby, because of you! Tyvm

31 minutes ago, Pomfrit said:

I will upload a picture when im home. At full load my cpu had 60-62 degrees now it has like 65-66..

mobo has too like 2degrees more... gpu is same exept its a bit louder now maybe...

never had problems with temperatures before.

i have 1 front fan

1rear fan

psu fan

2gpu fans

and stock cpu fan

temperatures were always the same , but today when i installed my new psu i get a bit higher temps

my specs: i5 2400

gtx 1050 ti

16gb ram

1hdd, will soon buy ssd

What case?

Where is the PSU mounted and how is it oriented?

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What case?

Where is the PSU mounted and how is it oriented?

Case is normal nothing special it can have 1 front fan and one rear... and i have 6fans overall like mentioned above.

i have the psu at the top in the back side(normal i guess) and the fan is oriented downwards

2 hours ago, Pomfrit said:

Case is normal nothing special it can have 1 front fan and one rear... and i have 6fans overall like mentioned above.

i have the psu at the top in the back side(normal i guess) and the fan is oriented downwards

Ok.  So, those older cases are horrible for using PSUs with "Zero RPM fan modes" because they're designed to have the PSU as part of the ventilation system.

The PSU fan is only going to turn on when the PSU gets "too hot", but there's still hot air rising into the PSU from your other components.

You really should have a PSU that has the fan run all of the time or a case where the PSU mounts on the bottom with the fan facing down.

Cooler Master engineered that PSU to be used in a case where the PSU is mounted on the bottom with the fan pointing down.

So its top mounted - did you orient the install so that its pulling air out of the PC as an exhaust ?  I.E. the fan shouldn't be mashed up against the top of the case, it needs to be pulling air up and out of the computer.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

11 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

So its top mounted - did you orient the install so that its pulling air out of the PC as an exhaust ?  I.E. the fan shouldn't be mashed up against the top of the case, it needs to be pulling air up and out of the computer.  

Its at top of the case in the back side and yes its faced down so it exhausts air out of pc

22 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  So, those older cases are horrible for using PSUs with "Zero RPM fan modes" because they're designed to have the PSU as part of the ventilation system.

The PSU fan is only going to turn on when the PSU gets "too hot", but there's still hot air rising into the PSU from your other components.

You really should have a PSU that has the fan run all of the time or a case where the PSU mounts on the bottom with the fan facing down.

Cooler Master engineered that PSU to be used in a case where the PSU is mounted on the bottom with the fan pointing down.

I already bought the psu and thats the case im using.. what can i do and whats the worst thing that could happen ?

Just now, Pomfrit said:

I already bought the psu and thats the case im using.. what can i do and whats the worst thing that could happen ?

Do nothing, you are fine :)  If there is an issue it will just shut itself off.  Then you should come back and say now what (unless willing to replace the case)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

16 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

But the problem is that it blows (exhausts)so little at the back that i can almost to not feel it when i put my hand there 

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Do nothing, you are fine :)  If there is an issue it will just shut itself off.  Then you should come back and say now what (unless willing to replace the case)

Was so happy when i bought this psu now all that happened are problems:/ thanks for help man

5 minutes ago, Pomfrit said:

But the problem is that it blows (exhausts)so little at the back that i can almost to not feel it when i put my hand there 

3 minutes ago, Pomfrit said:

Was so happy when i bought this psu now all that happened are problems:/ thanks for help man

Its not a problem, really.  Because if it got to hot the PSU fan would then spool up completely to cool it back down.  Or it would shut down if it was a critical something (which is unlikely)

There are no problems, just thermals.  Take a pic of your PC with the side panel off, lets check your airflow - improve that and problem solved.

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Its not a problem, really.  Because if it got to hot the PSU fan would then spool up completely to cool it back down.  Or it would shut down if it was a critical something (which is unlikely)

There are no problems, just thermals.  Take a pic of your PC with the side panel off, lets check your airflow - improve that and problem solved.

This makes me feel better lol... i dont think there is much to improve about my airflow... all i can do is speed up my front and rear exhaust fans and buy a new cpu cooler and thats it i think.. imma upload a picture tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

My front fan is from be quiet and rear is from arctic so they are both pretty quiet

Just now, Pomfrit said:

This makes me feel better lol... i dont think there is much to improve about my airflow... all i can do is speed up my front and rear exhaust fans and buy a new cpu cooler and thats it i think.. imma upload a picture tomorrow.

Sounds good, the proper fans (if you have stock ones they are likely meh at best) you can run them very aggressively and still preserve silence.  For this I prefer (and run) Arctic P12's (14 running at max RPM within 3 feet of me, its a pleasant slight tone)

2 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Sounds good, the proper fans (if you have stock ones they are likely meh at best) you can run them very aggressively and still preserve silence.  For this I prefer (and run) Arctic P12's (14 running at max RPM within 3 feet of me, its a pleasant slight tone)

Ok will try ramping them up a bit and will come back with a picture, cheers

7 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Maybe i should add that i have a i5 2400, gtx 1050ti 16gb ram, 1hdd and will soon buy ssd.

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

It's a PSU with a fanless mode that's only going to spin based on the PSU temperature, not the PC temperature. That's why I have my concerns.