Welcome to *new* Edge web browser. Chromium based Edge being rolled out to all.

GoodBytes
On 1/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, DeScruff said:

... Is it bad that all I can think about is how this will affect Merry's Web browser webcomic?
Merry.png.e42c1975783963841a730275d3b7f76a.png

Also: Does anyone even say "Surf the web" anymore? To me thats such a... late 90s thing.

The same way she evolved to edge, she will evolve to this edge

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Does it work in Edge Dev? It doesn't work in stable for me.

Seem so for me. If you don't have it, then it is clearly coming very soon if the Dev channel has it.

I don't know the exact speed of release, as the official was just released, but probably in a month or month and half it should come out.

On one side, I am very happy that the default browser now is running on the barebones Chromium platform that everybody is addicted to, and more notably, has any Google-specific features and mechanisms removed.

On the other hand, it is driving me absolutely insane how Google is continuing to drive a web monopoly (not just web browsers) with little to no regard to their competitors. Minus Email and video, I have completely de-googled myself, with how paranoid I am becoming of Google's influence on the web and the nature of its advertising power overall.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

2 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

with little to no regard to their competitors

What compeditors? Bing? Microsots can barely keep its OS stable and working and you expect them to compete with Google. Yahoo? They havent been relivant in god knows how long. The only compeditor Google has that has the power to even compete is Apple and thats only in phones and tablets and computers, if you count Googles Chromebook line. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

On one side, I am very happy that the default browser now is running on the barebones Chromium platform that everybody is addicted to, and more notably, has any Google-specific features and mechanisms removed.

On the other hand, it is driving me absolutely insane how Google is continuing to drive a web monopoly (not just web browsers) with little to no regard to their competitors. Minus Email and video, I have completely de-googled myself, with how paranoid I am becoming of Google's influence on the web and the nature of its advertising power overall.

I don’t even care about the web stuff.  I’m worried about politics.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t even care about the web stuff.  I’m worried about politics.

IDGAF about Google's corporate positions in politics, as the impact and influence of that alone is much smaller than what the keyboard experts (mostly edgy Conmenservatives) scream at the top of their lungs. What scares me though, and should scare anybody who cares about this stuff, is how much influence their advertising partners can have on the market, and the impossibility of properly vetting out those with... very questionable claims and ulterior motives.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

2 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

IDGAF about Google's corporate positions in politics, as the impact and influence of that alone is much smaller than what the keyboard experts (mostly edgy Conmenservatives) scream at the top of their lungs. What scares me though, and should scare anybody who cares about this stuff, is how much influence their advertising partners can have on the market, and the impossibility of properly vetting out those with... very questionable claims and ulterior motives.

IDGAF either, as long as they don’t use their power to affect elections.  I’m worried that it could become possible though.  I compare it to the Ninja of feudal Japan.  For one day GOOGLE could rule america.  The next day the executives would be hunted down and killed, (literally) but for one day...

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

don’t use their power to affect elections.

Id be more concerend with Russia doing that again and not realy Google. Plus the fact is all corporations influence the elections. That why Citizens United is a crock of shit and the members of the supream court who voted for it should be fired. 

51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Id be more concerend with Russia doing that again and not realy Google. Plus the fact is all corporations influence the elections. That why Citizens United is a crock of shit and the members of the supream court who voted for it should be fired. 

Russia is more likely but they don’t have the raw power google is capable of fielding.  Google terrifies me.

Where can i download the offline installer for Edge? ?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Russia is more likely but they don’t have the raw power google is capable of fielding.  Google terrifies me.

SMH. You do relized there are other companies out there. AND ALL OF THEM pay off congress. Id fear the Military Industrial Complex. Because of them bastards we are always at war. And I fear if things continue on the way they have been it might turn in to something much worse. 

3 hours ago, caldrin said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/business/download

I know it says for business but its the same thing :)

Thanks! Now i can put Edge in all PCs i'm deploying.  ?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 1/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, linkboy said:

...ust hoping the announced Linux version releases soon so I can install it on my Linux partition.

I don't give the north end of a south bound furry little rodent if the new Edge comes out with a Linux version or not. There is no way I'm ever having anything from MS on any of my computers anymore! Period!

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

1) Almost all Android browsers were based on Chrome, and later Chrome became the default on a lot of Android phones.

2) Google did a lot of marketing. They had banner ads, they had video ads, they had a lot of the tech press talking about it.

3) Chrome was in fact much better than the other browsers out at the time. Better in terms of security, better in terms of speed, and better in terms of standard support.

4) Chrome was bundled with a lot of other software. So if you installed for example CCleaner you also got Chrome installed, unless you went into "advanced" settings and disabled it before install...

I disagree somewhat with #3 but, otherwise you pretty much got it, especially with #4. I would say #4 is probably the biggest reason Chrome is so prevalent now.

The best browser I ever used was IE11, mostly because it just worked, was secure (don't laugh, this isn't IE6 which was horrible), and was the only browser that gave me total cookie control. However, MS has gone totally south without even the benefit of a hand basket and I'm so through with them. I'm using the Brave Browser now, which is nowhere as good as IE11 was, but still beats the big fat hairy heck out of what's available now when it comes to security.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

14 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I don't give the north end of a south bound furry little rodent if the new Edge comes out with a Linux version or not. There is no way I'm ever having anything from MS on any of my computers anymore! Period!

I disagree somewhat with #3 but, otherwise you pretty much got it, especially with #4. I would say #4 is probably the biggest reason Chrome is so prevalent now.

The best browser I ever used was IE11, mostly because it just worked, was secure (don't laugh, this isn't IE6 which was horrible), and was the only browser that gave me total cookie control. However, MS has gone totally south without even the benefit of a hand basket and I'm so through with them. I'm using the Brave Browser now, which is nowhere as good as IE11 was, but still beats the big fat hairy heck out of what's available now when it comes to security.

Chrome did have a serious shovelware issue.  One of the reasons I stayed away from it.  Shovelware is never good.  It’s not always (though frequently) actually bad, but never good.

There are a lot of Google services that were cut from Edge, and these cut services help contribute to better performance. All the services that were cut had something to do with data collection, so if you like privacy that is great.

Specs of The Battlestation:             CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X             Motherboard: AORUS AX-370 Gaming 5             RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz

Case: NZXT H710                           Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Hybrid             Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold+  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Built 7 custom machines. Resident Tech Support Agent. Proficient in C#, JavaScript, and Sindarin Elvish. Loyal Member of House Ravenclaw. Ask me a question about hardware, and I can probably answer it.

1 hour ago, TheDragonHawk said:

There are a lot of Google services that were cut from Edge, and these cut services help contribute to better performance. All the services that were cut had something to do with data collection, so if you like privacy that is great.

A lot of you are conflating Chromium with Google Chrome. Chromium is just a browser kernal or a separate browser. It is not the same thing as Google Chrome, which is a browser that uses the Chromium kernal along with "features" added by Google. No Google services were cut from the new Edge because they were never there in the first place.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Chrome did have a serious shovelware issue.  One of the reasons I stayed away from it.  Shovelware is never good.  It’s not always (though frequently) actually bad, but never good.

Shovelware is such a polite term; I prefer crapware. Ther eis program designed to remove crapware from new PCs that's actually called PC Decrapifier.

Jeannie

2 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Oh God I have never seen a post I so strongly disagree with. 

IE11 was shit. Complete and utter garbage. I am honestly surprised to see even a single person that liked it. 

What kind of cookie control are toy missing in Chrome or Firefox? 

1 hour ago, TheDragonHawk said:

1) Cutting features does not necessary increase performance. Personally I haven't seen any performance increase. 

2) Not all services that were were related to privacy. 

3) a lot of the services that were cut has just been replaced with equally privacy intrusive services, but the data goes to Microsoft instead of Google. 

4) This new edge browser is not good if you want privacy. 

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

A lot of you are conflating Chromium with Google Chrome. Chromium is just a browser kernal or a separate browser. It is not the same thing as Google Chrome, which is a browser that uses the Chromium kernal along with "features" added by Google. No Google services were cut from the new Edge because they were never there in the first place.

1) There is no such thing as "Chromium kernel". It's just called Chromium.

2) some of the Google services that were cut are in Chromium. Chromium includes quite a few Google services built in. 

26 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Shovelware is such a polite term; I prefer crapware. Ther eis program designed to remove crapware from new PCs that's actually called PC Decrapifier.

Crapware is too vague though.  Shovelware is sort of a subset of crapware.  Is shovelware crapware though? Yes.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Oh God I have never seen a post I so strongly disagree with. 

IE11 was shit. Complete and utter garbage. I am honestly surprised to see even a single person that liked it. 

What kind of cookie control are toy missing in Chrome or Firefox? 

1) Cutting features does not necessary increase performance. Personally I haven't seen any performance increase. 

2) Not all services that were were related to privacy. 

3) a lot of the services that were cut has just been replaced with equally privacy intrusive services, but the data goes to Microsoft instead of Google. 

4) This new edge browser is not good if you want privacy. 

1) There is no such thing as "Chromium kernel". It's just called Chromium.

2) some of the Google services that were cut are in Chromium. Chromium includes quite a few Google services built in. 

The undeserved bad reputation given to IE11 is due to memories of IE6. IE6 was crap. IE started getting better around IE9. IE11 worked just fine By the time it came out, it was as secure as most browsers, if not more so, and was the only browser left that allowed custom control of individual cookies as websites tried to put them on the computer. When IE11 was set to do so, every time a website tried to put a cookie on your computer, you would get a popup giving you a choice of accepting or rejecting the cookie for this session only or to permanently accept or reject the cookie.

Again Chromium is not Google Chrome so nothing was cut out from the Chromium kernel because it was never there. An there is suc a thing as the Chromium kernel. Read this.

Jeannie

So far this is brilliant.  The browser I want is able to render all web pages YET also leverage the underlying platform(s) it is on.  I can't want to see how they put this on Linux.  Linux has Falkon which is actually a very good Blink based browser ... Edge might make me think twice about using it under Linux.  

3 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

So far this is brilliant.  The browser I want is able to render all web pages YET also leverage the underlying platform(s) it is on.  I can't want to see how they put this on Linux.  Linux has Falkon which is actually a very good Blink based browser ... Edge might make me think twice about using it under Linux.  

Chrome is Linux with spyware baked in.  So it wouldn’t be at all difficult for them to do.  I don’t know why Microsoft would release a version of the browser engine they paid for on anything other than windows unless they’re playing a deeper game or just want to do a mitzveh for the community.

13 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

The undeserved bad reputation given to IE11 is due to memories of IE6. IE6 was crap. IE started getting better around IE9. IE11 worked just fine By the time it came out, it was as secure as most browsers, if not more so,

IE11 was shit. Just because IE10 and older was more shit doesn't mean IE11 was good.

IE11 was crap because of these reasons:

1) It was slow. It might have gotten decent scores in some Microsoft-picked/created benchmarks but in other benchmarks it was behind the competition.

2) It was slow at getting updates. It didn't have a rolling release schedule like competing browsers and the updates were tied to system updates.

3) It had more security issues than competing browsers.

4) It was closed source which to some people is a major negative aspect.

5) It was (and still isn't) cross-platform compatible.

6) It lacked extension support (or at least proper extension support).

7) It was far behind in terms of web standards.

I can probably think of some more reasons but those are the big ones.

When IE11 was set to do so, every time a website tried to put a cookie on your computer, you would get a popup giving you a choice of accepting or rejecting the cookie for this session only or to permanently accept or reject the cookie.

I'll look into that.

Again Chromium is not Google Chrome so nothing was cut out from the Chromium kernel because it was never there. An there is suc a thing as the Chromium kernel. Read this.

Ehm... No. You are wrong on so many levels right now.

1) Chromium does have several Google-specific services in it, which Microsoft has removed.

2) There is no such thing as a "Chromium kernel". What you linked to is the kernel for the ChromiumOS kernel. ChromiumOS and Chromium are two separate things. The former is an OS and the latter is a browser. This new Edge doesn't have anything to do with ChromiumOS. And even in ChromiumOS there isn't a "Chromium kernel". That OS uses the Linux kernel.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

IE11 was shit. Just because IE10 and older was more shit doesn't mean IE11 was good.

IE11 was crap because of these reasons:

1) It was slow. It might have gotten decent scores in some Microsoft-picked/created benchmarks but in other benchmarks it was behind the competition.

2) It was slow at getting updates. It didn't have a rolling release schedule like competing browsers and the updates were tied to system updates.

3) It had more security issues than competing browsers.

4) It was closed source which to some people is a major negative aspect.

5) It was (and still isn't) cross-platform compatible.

6) It lacked extension support (or at least proper extension support).

7) It was far behind in terms of web standards...

We will have to disagree on that. I do not believe IE11 (or even IE10) was shit. I comnpared it to other popular browsers at the time and found IE11 was much better.

1. Forget MS's (or anyone elses) benchmarks; I found no significant real life differences between IE11's speed and other browsers I had tried.

2. So what? I never found that to be a problem. I didn't depend only on a bowser for security.

3. That just isn't true. Period.

4. Again, so what? Just because something is open source doesn't automatically mean it's great, same as not being open souce means it isn't great.

5. That I agree on but, again, so what? Back then, I was using only Windows and didn't need cross platform compatibility.

6. That isn't completely true. There were some extensions that could be added, such as Adobe Flash (which I eventually was able to drop). Otherwise, IE11 met all my browser needs without having to fool around with added extensions.

7. Yet again, so what? It still met my needs. I have a 12 year old pickup truck I still drive because it has been, and still is, reliable and it still meets my needs. It looks almost cherry, can haul a load when I need to, has plenty of room for passengers without being cramped, won't drown out in a 6" deep puddle of water, is comfortable, etc.

One reason IE11 was unpopular was MS made it harder for web designers to program their websites to be compatible with IE. Frequently making changes to IE didn't make it any easier. However, I found that the occasional website I found that wasn't compatible with IE was badly designed in the first place and couldn't be trusted. They were sites that I could do without anyway.

Jeannie