Welcome to *new* Edge web browser. Chromium based Edge being rolled out to all.

GoodBytes
17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No the real question is will it run like SHIT like Chrome does. Ram usage is not an issue with me, I have 16 Gigs worth, but Chrome runs like crap and always has. 

Turn WASM off :)

--js-flags=--noexpose_wasm

ok so I tried it, but meh. on Windows it's fine, and it has replaced chrome for me on Windows. 

on macOS it's meh. it's fast, but about as quick as safari is for me (which is faster than normal chrome) and I will use new Edge occasionally if I need to access something I did in Windows since safari doesn't sync with it obviously, but Safari will remain my main browser on the Mac. 

She/Her

Let me just say I have been using the beta for 2 months now at work and it's almost been smooth sailing. 

- Internal pages with activex controls aren't working (good riddance i guess)

- Youtube displays an older version of the site unless you change your user agent to chrome. 

I also don't like the new tab page. At work we have a policy to set it to our O365 and that's pretty good, but for consumer's it's MSN which is kind of a cesspit. I'm running tabliss on my home pc. 

And a parting shot -- here's the goog-bloat not present in Edgium. 

edge chromium removed replaced services

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

On 1/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, DeScruff said:

... Is it bad that all I can think about is how this will affect Merry's Web browser webcomic?
Merry.png.e42c1975783963841a730275d3b7f76a.png

Also: Does anyone even say "Surf the web" anymore? To me thats such a... late 90s thing.

hmm...

3 hours ago, jake9000 said:

Let me just say I have been using the beta for 2 months now at work and it's almost been smooth sailing. 

- Internal pages with activex controls aren't working (good riddance i guess)

You have IE mode in the new Edge, here is how to enable the option to be able use it:

edge://flags/#edge-internet-explorer-integration

- Youtube displays an older version of the site unless you change your user agent to chrome. 

That issue actually affected Chrome Canary at the time. Google fixed it. And after a backlash of the community, pointing Google at anti-compettive practice because the previously did indeed block the new Edge from certain Google services that worked fine before the ban, the company back tracked, and claimed that they white list web browsers to the services, despite having much less known web browser have no problem.

Anyways, all fixed now, old story, page turned.

I also don't like the new tab page. At work we have a policy to set it to our O365 and that's pretty good, but for consumer's it's MSN which is kind of a cesspit. I'm running tabliss on my home pc. 

Hmm ok, strange policy (unless you work directly with customers), but ok. You can do the same. It has all the options you expect from your typical web browser.

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No the real question is will it run like SHIT like Chrome does. Ram usage is not an issue with me, I have 16 Gigs worth, but Chrome runs like crap and always has. 

Cool, good to know.

I don't have that much RAM.

Been using it since the dev version was made available..

its a great browser a mix of everything good about Edge with Everything Good about Chrome.. cant go wrong really.

Also its great in the corporate environment as well really good integration with azure and office 365.. Pretty sure we will be pushing people to use this instead of Chrome from now on. 

This ain't bad. I might just switch to Edge on all of my Windows 10 devices.

It's a whole different story on Android tho. I wouldn't wanna switch to Edge there.

I made the switch, wanting a little more privacy lately regarding cookies etc :)

On 1/16/2020 at 10:22 AM, DeScruff said:

... Is it bad that all I can think about is how this will affect Merry's Web browser webcomic?
Merry.png.e42c1975783963841a730275d3b7f76a.png

Also: Does anyone even say "Surf the web" anymore? To me thats such a... late 90s thing.

Easy, it will appear that Edge beat Chrome but in actual truth Chrome beat Edge and is now using her skin as a puppet.

It has replaced Chrome as my backup browser (one less thing to keep installed on my computer), but one one thing is driving my crazy... It doesn't support jumplist. I use that all the time to open up incognito tabs. I am almost tempted to reinstall and go back to Chrome just for that, but since I use Firefox for 90% of my browsing I'll manage.

I don't know why my Edge at home behave differently compare to Edge at my office pc. I have dark mode enable on both pc but it still on light mode at my home pc Edge.

Also uBlock Origin won't block certain ads at my home PC, i can see still ads in Bing/Google searches.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I don't know why my Edge at home behave differently compare to Edge at my office pc. I have dark mode enable on both pc but it still on light mode at my home pc Edge.

Also uBlock Origin won't block certain ads at my home PC, i can see still ads in Bing/Google searches.

"..."  > Settings > Appearance. Inside you have the  option for Light or Dark theme.

Bing and Google search page got updated, I think unblock origin needs to be updated to reflect the changes, but not sure

On 1/15/2020 at 8:35 PM, just that pc guy said:

ahh yes, a new simpler experience... for downloading chrome

I never really understood why Chrome got so popular in the first place. Even with the average person that doesnt even know multiple webbrowsers exist.

I've always used Firefox and never been tempted to go over to Chrome.

27 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I never really understood why Chrome got so popular in the first place. Even with the average person that doesnt even know multiple webbrowsers exist.

Chrome got big due to Android. Because you can sync your book marks and passwords between your desktop and phone. That’s actually the reason I ended up with Chrome was due to my Android phone. Though Chrome has gotten bloated and glitchy over the years. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

41 minutes ago, maartendc said:

To add from Donut417, Chrome also gain mass popularity when Firefox got comfortable after beating IE and gained majority. The Firefox team stop optimizing the web browser for performance, and started to not care about critical bugs, such as the memory leak introduced back in Firefox 3.x days (fixed many years ago, but it took them a very, very, long time to just acknowledge the bug reports and started to actually work on it). When Chrome came, people switched and enjoyed a faster web browser (and for many years to come), as well as one that, while consume more memory, didn't have the memory leak. I also pushed new features. Firefox was slow to catch up, and that ultimately made them be killed. 

Netflix is not running at 1080p for me. Can anyone else check if Netflix is 1080p for them.

You can check resolution by pressing ctrl+alt+shift+d while playing a video.

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It has replaced Chrome as my backup browser (one less thing to keep installed on my computer), but one one thing is driving my crazy... It doesn't support jumplist. I use that all the time to open up incognito tabs. I am almost tempted to reinstall and go back to Chrome just for that, but since I use Firefox for 90% of my browsing I'll manage.

what is jumplist?

6 minutes ago, avg123 said:

Netflix is not running at 1080p for me. Can anyone else check if Netflix is 1080p for them.

You can check resolution by pressing ctrl+alt+shift+d while playing a video.

Plays 1080p for me. Depending on your connection you have to wait several seconds or minute for it to jump to 1080p. And of course the content needs to be 1080p or higher.

That said, I am running Edge Dev release. Version 81.0.389.2

10 minutes ago, avg123 said:

what is jumplist?

He means this:

Image1.png.b83c74cc3b30aa60ddda53005ea18718.png

The right-click menu on the app on the task bar where you have app related options.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Plays 1080p for me. Depending on your connection you have to wait several seconds or minute for it to jump to 1080p. And of course the content needs to be 1080p or higher.

That said, I am running Edge Dev release. Version 81.0.389.2

I am running Version 79.0.309.68 (Official build) (64-bit)

I tested with Sex Education season 2 which plays at 1080p in the netflix app no problem.

I have 100mbps connection.

Let me check if it gets to 1080p after a while.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

He means this:

Image1.png.b83c74cc3b30aa60ddda53005ea18718.png

The right-click menu on the app on the task bar where you have app related options.

but it does support jumplist then??? why is he saying it does not support jumplist?

4 hours ago, maartendc said:

I've used Firefox for years but switched to Chrome a few years ago when FF started performing like the hot garbage a single threaded 32bit browser came to be with modern websites and crashing multiple times per day when used heavily.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, maartendc said:

1) Almost all Android browsers were based on Chrome, and later Chrome became the default on a lot of Android phones.

2) Google did a lot of marketing. They had banner ads, they had video ads, they had a lot of the tech press talking about it.

3) Chrome was in fact much better than the other browsers out at the time. Better in terms of security, better in terms of speed, and better in terms of standard support.

4) Chrome was bundled with a lot of other software. So if you installed for example CCleaner you also got Chrome installed, unless you went into "advanced" settings and disabled it before install.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

He means this:

<picture>

Does it work in Edge Dev? It doesn't work in stable for me.

26 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

1) Almost all Android browsers were based on Chrome, and later Chrome became the default on a lot of Android phones.

2) Google did a lot of marketing. They had banner ads, they had video ads, they had a lot of the tech press talking about it.

3) Chrome was in fact much better than the other browsers out at the time. Better in terms of security, better in terms of speed, and better in terms of standard support.

4) Chrome was bundled with a lot of other software. So if you installed for example CCleaner you also got Chrome installed, unless you went into "advanced" settings and disabled it before install.

Does it work in Edge Dev? It doesn't work in stable for me.

It should have been better.  Fantastic amounts of money was spent developing it.  How could it not have good features?  It was worse in a couple of things, one of which was important.  It was incredibly rich in spyware.  That’s how google makes it’s money.

The thing I’m really liking about “chromedge” is while it is connected to Microsoft at least it’s not connected to google.  So as long as I don’t use any google apps I can keep it that way.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.