Need advice for data recovery

Nabhan

Hi again everyone,

recently at work my boss asked me to perform some data recovery, gave me the program to use, and sent me on my way. I have to recover data from 3 1TB HDD's and just the first one is taking forever on my aging PC. So my question is, what would help speed up the data recovery? My boss mentioned a better GPU but I don't exactly see how that would work, but if it does, I can borrow my brother's 1080ti because there is absolutely no way the 750ti I have would even come close.

Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Nabhan said:

Hi again everyone,

recently at work my boss asked me to perform some data recovery, me the program to use, and sent me on my way. I have to recover data from 3 1TB HDD's and just the first one is taking forever on my aging PC. So my question is, what would help speed up the data recovery? My boss mentioned a better GPU but I don't exactly see how that would work, but if it does, I can borrow my brother's 1080ti because there is absolutely no way the 750ti I have would even come close.

Thanks in advance!

A gpu wont change much. For speeding it up; there's not really many ways to speed it up i think. Just depends on the speed of the drive. If the drive is slow then that sucks. It'll stay slow

Data recovery are just read & write operations, nothing affects the speed of them but the speed of drives themselves. What are you recovering to ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 minutes ago, Nabhan said:

My boss mentioned a better GPU

Your boss is a moron, a better GPU would not help.

3 minutes ago, Nabhan said:

So my question is, what would help speed up the data recovery?

For starters, you could make a bit-for-bit copy of the HDD to an SSD with e.g. ddrescue. Then, configure whatever app you are using to do the recovery to put the recovered data on another SSD. Don't use mechanical drives. Also, a beefier CPU might help.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, GenericFanboy said:

A gpu wont change much. For speeding it up; there's not really many ways to speed it up i think. Just depends on the speed of the drive. If the drive is slow then that sucks. It'll stay slow

I see, okay. Thanks for the info. Looks like I just have to slug it out.

1 minute ago, Nabhan said:

I see, okay. Thanks for the info. Looks like I just have to slug it out.

it's always takes forever when I had to do it once

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Your boss is a moron, a better GPU would not help.

For starters, you could make a bit-for-bit copy of the HDD to an SSD with e.g. ddrescue. Then, configure whatever app you are using to do the recovery to put the recovered data on another SSD. Don't use mechanical drives. Also, a beefier CPU might help.

I think what's more likely is me hearing wrongly, now that I think about it lol. But thanks so much for your help.

Just now, Ben17 said:

it's always takes forever when I had to do it once

Yep, so far I've had it running for about 24 hours and I've only recovered about 14GB from the first drive. got a really long way to go still.

Just now, Nabhan said:

Yep, so far I've had it running for about 24 hours and I've only recovered about 14GB from the first drive. got a really long way to go still.

yeah I know the feeling had to try to get 80gb of video files off my hard drive once when it failed (failed to recover them in the end ? )

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

12 minutes ago, Nabhan said:

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that.I hope you get a nice paycheck for this

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that.I hope you get a nice paycheck for this

Thanks. Every penny goes to getting that 3700x ?

12 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

yeah I know the feeling had to try to get 80gb of video files off my hard drive once when it failed (failed to recover them in the end ? )

Man, that sucks. I hope I have better luck than that. Please dear God bless me

You can always get dedicated machins for this,

Most used by security screening or law enforcement you know those airports that take your phone or laptop into a room use a machine such as below to clone it for further analysis.

https://www.cds.com/Image-MASSter-Solo-4-G3-IT-Basic-p/fgr-0070-000a.htm

The benefit is the is a lot of chance for error cloning drives. This makes process much simpler and protect source drive from being overwritten.

Before doing any data recovery always start by cloning the failing drive to another drive bigger or same size one. You can try to recover the data from the drive you cloned to another location. Never restore data to the same drive overwriting data. If you do that you will probably lose the chance of recovering other files and might overwrite the data you are reovering making subsequent attempts impossible.

Also always recover data offline so the operating system and programs do not over write any of the free space.

Never install recovery programs to the drive or do any writes when you are trying to recover.

If your doing forensic work, logs and audit is important. These machines will keep logs for evidence that could be used in court

Well here's a very unfortunate update. While I was at work, someone left the door to my room where I was running the recovery open, and a cat came in and sprayed my desk. Unfortunately it seems that even the drive was hit, as there is corrosion on the underside of it now. I didn't realize a smell in my room and thought everything was ok until I woke my computer from sleep and smoke started pouring out. RIP me

On 1/21/2020 at 10:35 AM, Nabhan said:

Well here's a very unfortunate update. While I was at work, someone left the door to my room where I was running the recovery open, and a cat came in and sprayed my desk. Unfortunately it seems that even the drive was hit, as there is corrosion on the underside of it now. I didn't realize a smell in my room and thought everything was ok until I woke my computer from sleep and smoke started pouring out. RIP me

LOL. is this for real?

On 1/23/2020 at 9:55 PM, tech.guru said:

LOL. is this for real?

Unfortunately yes. Looking around for a donor board to see if I can fix it that way. I found a place online that sells the replacement PCB and does the bios IC swap for free, and it's not too far from LMG ironically. If my boss lets me, I think I'll send it there.