Should i go 1440p or 1080p?

Bayo

I recently got a new PC for gaming on but I'm planning on replacing my 10 year old 60hz 1080p TN panel monitor to. The graphics card in the new pc is a RTX 2070 Super. I wanted a 144 hz monitor at the very least and I'm leaning towards an IPS panel, my only conundrum is whether it is better to go 1440p or 1080p. Will the 2070 Super have enough power long term to warrant 144hz 1440p? Thanks in advance

Personally it depends on how often you think you can afford to upgrade your GPU, and how large of a monitor you want to get.  I'm using the Acer XB271HU, 1440p 144/165hz IPS with G-Sync but only on my GTX 1070 and I'm doing relatively fine considering how old my GPU is (in relative terms of course).  Going from 1080p to 1440p is 78% more pixels to render, so take that into account.  Anything over 24" I think 1080p is too few pixels.  27" is perfect for 1440p and also IMHO a perfect size for regular sitting distances.  Your 2070 should do you well for at least 3-5 years, but you might have to drop some settings down to achieve 100+ fps in the coming years (as all things will).

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

Personally it depends on how often you think you can afford to upgrade your GPU, and how large of a monitor you want to get.  I'm using the Acer XB271HU, 1440p 144/165hz IPS with G-Sync but only on my GTX 1070 and I'm doing relatively fine considering how old my GPU is (in relative terms of course).  Going from 1080p to 1440p is 78% more pixels to render, so take that into account.  Anything over 24" I think 1080p is too few pixels.  27" is perfect for 1440p and also IMHO a perfect size for regular sitting distances.  Your 2070 should do you well for at least 3-5 years, but you might have to drop some settings down to achieve 100+ fps in the coming years (as all things will).

Even now he probably will won't he? On AC: Odyssey I was on Ultra and only rocking 40-50Fps. I dropped a few settings to high and was around 70Fps. Granted that's on 3440x1440, which is ~25% more pixels than regular 1440p, but that still seemed low to me. That's on a 2080 Super and 3800x.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 minutes ago, Statik said:

Even now he probably will won't he? On AC: Odyssey I was on Ultra and only rocking 40-50Fps. I dropped a few settings to high and was around 70Fps. Granted that's on 3440x1440, which is ~25% more pixels than regular 1440p, but that still seemed low to me. That's on a 2080 Super and 3800x.

Odyssey is hard to run yes, most games aren't nearly as tough as it tho.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Oh, this one is a no brainer. 1440p is more expensive but it looks amazing. I got a 1440p display as I got my new PC and I can never go back. With the 2070 SUPER I agree with @realXClav that it would be a complete waste not to go with a 1440p monitor. Just make sure it has a Display Port for your gaming needs, no hdmi. Then again I'm no expert.

I upgraded to 1440p for my gaming PC at home, and I don't think I could go back to 1080p.  Sure, my GTX 980 struggles a bit with some games on higher settings, but I can forgive that simply because everything looks so much sharper (and I can adjust some settings if I need to speed things up).  My work monitors are all 1080p, and I feel like I can count the pixels.

if ur gpu can handle 1440, then use it.

My build

Ryzen 5 2600 @3.95ghz

Cryorig M9a

Gigabyte x470 Ultra Gaming

Gigabyte RX 590 @1720mhz

2x8 Corsair LPX Vengeance 2933

ASUS Wireless card

EVGA 650GQ

Cougar MX330G

WD Blue SATA SSD 500GB

• 11 months later...

While this is an older thread, in my opinion extra pixels is nice. Just not when it's half way done.

More pixels, more details.

However that some people might point out is that, if you view 1080p or anything like that... it might not scale well since inbetween there only support for a half pixel with 1440p.

Maybe some scaling or other things might help with this? As seen with some high HZ etc, they would have more ghosting or other visual issues at lower FPS like overvolting the pixels and if 1440p makes it worse to run. Might take anything else over that. In games it might be really good, but 1080p content? Also with how 4K you get even more details (but also lower FPS) and can start turning down features in settings.

1080p and high frames?

1440p Now with more res, but maybe not the best to everything, could be nice for games?
4K Waiting for, very good res can downscale maybe better than the 1440p? (still has more pixels to do) and very expensive.

Unless the thing or tech for screens change, don't know how much G-sync and amd's version would help any for the visual experience than maybe making it smoother overall and tearing. Until LTT does manual EXTREME screen modifications or creating "their own". I do wonder if QLED tech and NANO, now or later can help with some that for visuals. Not heard much about the mini-led and all that too, or if we get OLED screens that burns in after a little while.

generaly, i think 1080p is better. theres almost no difference. also, if you are playing on highh or ultra, you may want 1080p for 100 fps

On 12/21/2020 at 3:21 AM, pipicat6489 said:

generaly, i think 1080p is better. theres almost no difference. also, if you are playing on highh or ultra, you may want 1080p for 100 fps

You might notice a difference in bigger sized screens, like most above 24-25.
So for a viewing pleasure, more pixels is worth it on bigger screens or to reduce eye strain when trying to look for stuff. Like in games where on 1080p there is less pixels and less to see in long distances, but is way more detailed in higher res.

Maybe unless they bring in some more gaming TV's :)

Also if 1440p is on sale and closer to the price of it's 1080p screens, it might be nice to have.
Sad part, there can be so many reasons for each screen and when selling multiple variations of that... it can be hard to find one fitting your need and the price you seek. like how samsungs
odyssey G9 had a lot of problems, maybe the earlier versions but think its fixed now?

Edited by Quackers101