What happened to the "No Clickbait" promise?

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

They could just cut back on the clickbait and ads. Be more honest about stuff. For example instead of labeling paid ads as "product showcases", why not label them ad in the title?

snip

i used to refuse to watch any clickbait video until pretty much everyone i watch and whose content i enjoy started using them. so that is a good indicator that it does work and they need it to survive on youtube these days. and many of those "shady" sponsors are only revealed to be shady after they fucked up on something so how is linus supposed to know beforehand. also most companies are sketchy to some degree with intel with their rigged benchmarks. also what works for one content creator might not work for another so idk why you guys are bringing up mkbhd

image.thumb.png.f5c6010979a047635e5c54722f13df03.png

image.thumb.png.36ff73b9ff95871552c7ee72ac9b267d.png

and if you compaire their videos is LTT more clickbait? sure but only marginally more imo and i would only consider like 2 of those titles really egregiously clickbait so this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. 

image.thumb.png.4c9a4af5c298f890daa50b410a249b5f.png

now this is what i would consider full clickbait but i still love you zwag :P

53 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Maybe so, but if that's true then it brings up this question: why do they remove "sponsored" from the titles on YouTube?

Because just having 'sponsored' in the title would bring a wave of downvotes to the videos, so it was more viable to just add it in the video as a title bar and 'above the fold' in the description.

Still adheres to marketing standards, YouTube standards, etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i used to refuse to watch any clickbait video until pretty much everyone i watch and whose content i enjoy started using them. so that is a good indicator that it does work and they need it to survive on youtube these days. and many of those "shady" sponsors are only revealed to be shady after they fucked up on something so how is linus supposed to know beforehand. also most companies are sketchy to some degree with intel with their rigged benchmarks. also what works for one content creator might not work for another so idk why you guys are bringing up mkbhd

image.thumb.png.f5c6010979a047635e5c54722f13df03.png

image.thumb.png.36ff73b9ff95871552c7ee72ac9b267d.png

and if you compaire their videos is LTT more clickbait? sure but only marginally more imo and i would only consider like 2 of those titles really egregiously clickbait so this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. 

image.thumb.png.4c9a4af5c298f890daa50b410a249b5f.png

now this is what i would consider full clickbait but i still love you zwag :P

I doubt they can cut back on the ads.  Things need to be paid for.  They’re good about not hiding when something is actually an ad.  Much better than average.  Is it absolutely totally pure?  Nothing is.  Purest gold is still only .999 fine.  They’re pureER.  Are they pure enough for particular uses?  That is the question.  Was the mere headline saying “all metal keyboard” enough to assume that a keyboard containing no plastic parts was being sold?  No.  That’s a use case where the purity of headline content is inadequate.  It IS a standard that was once upheld.  Some places still is.  YouTube has never been one of those places.  Should it be?  Probably.  Might it become such in the future?  Maybe. Might LTT gain for adhering to such a standard in the long term even though it is not one YouTube adheres to currently?  IMHO Very likely.  That appears to also be the opinion of LTT though so I’m not worried about it.  Might they also lose in the short term if they did so?  Also possibly.

As factual as possible given the environment seems to be how it’s going.  Could that factuality theoretically still be higher? Yes.  In practice?  I don’t have the data.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

and if you compare their videos is LTT more clickbait?

well lets go through them left to right and see if i can determine what each video is about based on the title.

MKBHD

• Airpods and Alternatives comparison (unknown specific products)
  • His own personal set up (free space)
  • Sony's car
  • some One+ phone (unknown specific product)
  • personal opinion/AMA video (free space)
  • Huawei Mate 30
  • upcoming 2020 tech
  • an expensive iphone case (unknown specific product)
  • Smart phone awards opinion video
  • can a wlakman work in "space" (probably vacuum and cold temperatures) experiment
  • some 8k TV (unknown specific product)
  • 10million subscribers appreciation video (free space)

4/12 i would say are vague/clickbait

LTT

• water cool an SSD (unknown specific product)
  • $50 CPU test (unknown specific product)
  • Apple Monitor review (maybe sponsored showcase)
  • WAN Show (free space)
  • metal keyboard (unknown specific product)
  • under $400 TV (unknown specific product)
  • Bullshit misleading title of bullshitiness faster internet video (unknown specific product)
  • should (not how to) make your own VPN (unknown specific product)
  • "debunking" video? though i doubt that (vague)
  • Folding laptop opinion video, though likely about a certain product (unknown specific product)
  • That samsung thing, i only know about it because i saw the news (unknown specific product)
  • Intel GPU opinion video 

9, maybe 10/12 i would say are vague/clickbait

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 1/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, lewdicrous said:

That's not "promise, no clickbait ever" video. that's him fixing too clickbaity title while showcase the product that sponsor them ?

4 hours ago, Arika S said:

well lets go through them left to right and see if i can determine what each video is about based on the title.

MKBHD

• Airpods and Alternatives comparison (unknown specific products)
  • His own personal set up (free space)
  • Sony's car
  • some One+ phone (unknown specific product)
  • personal opinion/AMA video (free space)
  • Huawei Mate 30
  • upcoming 2020 tech
  • an expensive iphone case (unknown specific product)
  • Smart phone awards opinion video
  • can a wlakman work in "space" (probably vacuum and cold temperatures) experiment
  • some 8k TV (unknown specific product)
  • 10million subscribers appreciation video (free space)

4/12 i would say are vague/clickbait

LTT

• water cool an SSD (unknown specific product)
  • $50 CPU test (unknown specific product)
  • Apple Monitor review (maybe sponsored showcase)
  • WAN Show (free space)
  • metal keyboard (unknown specific product)
  • under $400 TV (unknown specific product)
  • Bullshit misleading title of bullshitiness faster internet video (unknown specific product)
  • should (not how to) make your own VPN (unknown specific product)
  • "debunking" video? though i doubt that (vague)
  • Folding laptop opinion video, though likely about a certain product (unknown specific product)
  • That samsung thing, i only know about it because i saw the news (unknown specific product)
  • Intel GPU opinion video 

9, maybe 10/12 i would say are vague/clickbait

idk i dont consider not naming a product as clickbait if anything its anticlickbait. if they said water cooler ssd 1000x more performance? or $50 cpu beats intel xeon? or metal keyboard 200 wpm speed or 400$ tv with 4k quality? then that would be clickbait

On 1/15/2020 at 12:53 AM, lewdicrous said:

Ohshit.  That thing is over an hour long.  The only reason to watch it is to get an exact definition of the term as they are using it if it is even there.  Then compare that to the definition others are using here.  

It is arguable that posting this link qualifies as clickbait according to the standard used, as the awnser IF it is in it (and I’m going to have to invest an hour to even find out)  May or may not even be the same as the one being demanded.

It gets complicated quick, doesn’t it.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, JustWantTech said:

That's not "promise, no clickbait ever" video. that's him fixing too clickbaity title while showcase the product that sponsor them ?

A stream showcasing a streaming product while saying something along the lines of "we have heard your complaints, some of us complained too, so let's fix this and I'll assure you that we're going to use this format moving forward"

They don't have to solemnly swear upon the bibles of tech for it to be a promise.

26 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

A stream showcasing a streaming product while saying something along the lines of "we have heard your complaints, some of us complained too, so let's fix this and I'll assure you that we're going to use this format moving forward"

They don't have to solemnly swear upon the bibles of tech for it to be a promise.

Rofl. So the person complaining about clickbait was clickbaiting.

The last one was pretty bad.  Was entitled “I’m returning Mac Pro” but there was not even a suggestion of such. Just a very mixed review with claims of future videos involving said machine which would make a return impossible.  There have been arguments some made by me even that many of the titles we’re no t out and out falsehoods.  This might be one.

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2020 at 9:24 AM, Sauron said:

I guess you could argue that LTT is abusing the parasocial relationship they have with their audience... though to be honest I think they've been pretty good about framing it correctly; they haven't really been pushing the idea that they desperately need their audience's direct financial support to stay afloat. Beyond a certain point it's unavoidable people will become irrationally invested in LMG as their personal friends.

I guess the real question is... does anyone working at LMG, especially Linus himself, understand that the relationship between them and their audience is extremely parasocial in nature, and that some of the things that they're doing aren't imho necessarily abusing that relationship, but certainly tread in an ethical grey area at best (e.g. R:SL, NiceHash, advertising with Intel about "personal rig upgrades", etc.).

I still like LMG very much, but ever since I had to take a trip to the hospital for stress-related issues I've begun to see the world through a different pair of eyes...

“1 year later...”

-= Topic Locked =-

Please do not revive topics inactive over a year.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER