Tempered Glass Scratches Very Easily...

Statik

Hey guys, so on Black Friday I built my new rig in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic, and it's splendid. I'm super anal about cables, and I've fucked with the PCIE cables coming out of my GPU on more than one occasion to get them "perfect". Today I sat down at my PC and noticed several small scratches right infront of the PCIE cables on the glass. They're very unnoticeable, except to me. But it has me confused. I'm very careful with the glass (except for the time I dropped the front panel onto a concrete floor, and it somehow came through unscathed...), and it only has touched the Cablemod cables a few times, since there's not much clearance between the GPU and the panel. But they appear to have scratched the glass somehow. Has anyone noticed something similar? Or found a way to perhaps buff them out?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Glass (even tempered) is actually quite resistent to scratching. It's why it has been replacing much cheap Plexiglas in computer cases. Chances are those scratches got there from a mistake in manufacturing. Either that or it has a coating on it that can be scratched easily but I don't see why there would be one on there except for maybe tinting.

As for helping it I do believe there are fillers. Kind of like creams for glass where they fill the small cracks and dry clear. Similar filler is used to help fill small cracks in car windshields.

1 hour ago, Statik said:

Hey guys, so on Black Friday I built my new rig in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic, and it's splendid. I'm super anal about cables, and I've fucked with the PCIE cables coming out of my GPU on more than one occasion to get them "perfect". Today I sat down at my PC and noticed several small scratches right infront of the PCIE cables on the glass. They're very unnoticeable, except to me. But it has me confused. I'm very careful with the glass (except for the time I dropped the front panel onto a concrete floor, and it somehow came through unscathed...), and it only has touched the Cablemod cables a few times, since there's not much clearance between the GPU and the panel. But they appear to have scratched the glass somehow. Has anyone noticed something similar? Or found a way to perhaps buff them out?

I double checked here both the left and right panel from my tg case and no scratches are to be seen. You either really fucked hard with those cables while touching the glass, or it came fucked already and you only saw it now.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I double checked here both the left and right panel from my tg case and no scratches are to be seen. You either really fucked hard with those cables while touching the glass, or it came fucked already and you only saw it now.

I'm feeling it's the latter. The side panel came off whenever I was dicking with the cables, And they only lightly touched as I slide the panel into place. It's a little frustrating but I'm still very happy with it. It's one of those flaws you only notice because you own the damn thing.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

8 minutes ago, Statik said:

I'm feeling it's the latter. The side panel came off whenever I was dicking with the cables, And they only lightly touched as I slide the panel into place. It's a little frustrating but I'm still very happy with it. It's one of those flaws you only notice because you own the damn thing.

I bet my sorry ass there's some weird product out there you put on glasses and it gets rid of minor scuffs. You might as well do a quite Googling on that. I kinda remember hearing of something like it eons ago, but I can't say for sure.

Edited by HumdrumPenguin

Try some glass wax, the stuff you shmear in a thin layer on the glass, let dry, then wipe off. I used to use it to disguise the scratches on the used glass I used to make aquariums with.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, Statik said:

I agree with windows. I’ve never had the issue your describing. Definitely an odd coincidence. 

What was the cable made out of? If it's lower than tempered glass on Mohs scale of hard was, it shouldn't have been able to do any damage in the conventional scratching way.

Chances are it either came damage out of the box or maybe it's just some dust or plastic shavings that got stuck to it?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

8 hours ago, minibois said:

What was the cable made out of? If it's lower than tempered glass on Mohs scale of hard was, it shouldn't have been able to do any damage in the conventional scratching way.

Chances are it either came damage out of the box or maybe it's just some dust or plastic shavings that got stuck to it?

It’s just a cablemod pro cable. So whatever their modflex sleeving is made out of.

10 hours ago, BinaryShadow said:

you took the protective film off both sides of the glass right?

I’m pretty sure the O11 only has a film on the outside of the glass

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

26 minutes ago, Statik said:

I’m pretty sure the O11 only has a film on the outside of the glass

just built in an o11 xl and it had film both sides

7 hours ago, BinaryShadow said:

just built in an o11 xl and it had film both sides

This is that embarrassing moment when I tell you I've been using my PC with film on the glass for the past month and half. And now my build looks 10x better, and I can actually photograph it without it looking like dogshit.

Ignore the dust.

82525252_574124703139224_7817310889308061696_n.thumb.jpg.6749ae68d09276c9264cdd199dd46613.jpg82632572_600804030466630_7751383562221256704_n.thumb.jpg.baec769b2363e1c6945fa1f1e5f1b466.jpg

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2020 at 12:21 AM, Statik said:

This is that embarrassing moment when I tell you I've been using my PC with film on the glass for the past month and half. And now my build looks 10x better, and I can actually photograph it without it looking like dogshit.

Ignore the dust.

82525252_574124703139224_7817310889308061696_n.thumb.jpg.6749ae68d09276c9264cdd199dd46613.jpg82632572_600804030466630_7751383562221256704_n.thumb.jpg.baec769b2363e1c6945fa1f1e5f1b466.jpg

I know this thread is over a year old, but I had a similar issue with the front glass of my Lian-Li 011 Dynamic XL (ROG) (Silver). I had been doing something in the case and I saw what I thought was dust on the inside of the front window. I got a clean microfibre and wiped an area and this caused small scratches to appear, I was not happy.... So I've been looking for all sorts of stuff to remove the scratches and find any information. I have even put cleaning products in my Amazon basket ready to buy!

Anyway, I was looking at plastic scratch removal and then thought that the windows in this case are tempered glass. So did a search for that and came to this website forum page. 

When I built this PC over 6 months ago...I remember removing the the film from the front side of the glass front window and both sides of the side window!! I'm now thinking, no, there can't be a film on the inside of the front glass...surely not????? So I looked closely and to my surprise, there is a very faint edge around the inside of the window. Looking inside I pulled the edge and it started to peal away and then, I pulled the whole lot off......I too am embarrassed to think I hadn't seen it! Thanks for the push in the right direction.

I have attached an image of my case if anyone's interested?? The power of the internet.....

PC with Inno3D 3090.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bomberh said:

I know this thread is over a year old, but I had a similar issue with the front glass of my Lian-Li 011 Dynamic XL (ROG) (Silver). I had been doing something in the case and I saw what I thought was dust on the inside of the front window. I got a clean microfibre and wiped an area and this caused small scratches to appear, I was not happy.... So I've been looking for all sorts of stuff to remove the scratches and find any information. I have even put cleaning products in my Amazon basket ready to buy!

Anyway, I was looking at plastic scratch removal and then thought that the windows in this case are tempered glass. So did a search for that and came to this website forum page. 

When I built this PC over 6 months ago...I remember removing the the film from the front side of the glass front window and both sides of the side window!! I'm now thinking, no, there can't be a film on the inside of the front glass...surely not????? So I looked closely and to my surprise, there is a very faint edge around the inside of the window. Looking inside I pulled the edge and it started to peal away and then, I pulled the whole lot off......I too am embarrassed to think I hadn't seen it! Thanks for the push in the right direction.

I have attached an image of my case if anyone's interested?? The power of the internet.....

PC with 3090.jpg

Side note, you should really get some cable combs for that cablemod.

https://www.amazon.ca/upHere-Cable-Pieces-24-pin-8-pin/dp/B07JPJ47Q6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=cable+combs&qid=1611789114&sr=8-5

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro