Probably a stupid question but hey.

Msuni

The Silent Wings 3 120mm from be quiet!, do they only get connected to the motherboard and not the power supply? 

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

yes

Ahhhhh ok, that makes it much simpler then. Followup question, how come my old fans needed to be connected to the motherboard AND the power supply but the Silent Wings 3 don't (only the motherboard) - is it just better design etc? 

1 minute ago, Msuni said:

Ahhhhh ok, that makes it much simpler then. Followup question then, how come my old fans needed to be connected to the motherboard AND the power supply but the Silent Wings 3 don't - is it just better design etc? 

maybe you had old very fast very power intense fans? 

Just now, boggy77 said:

maybe you had old very fast very power intense fans? 

Possibly, I mean they came with my PC when i bought it like 3 years ago. Oh well doesn't really matter, just curious. Thanks very much for the help. :)

7 minutes ago, Msuni said:

Possibly, I mean they came with my PC when i bought it like 3 years ago. Oh well doesn't really matter, just curious. Thanks very much for the help. :)

they were probably molex connectors. molex has fazed out in recent years.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

14 minutes ago, Msuni said:

how come my old fans needed to be connected to the motherboard AND the power supply

are you sure they needed to, or only that they had those two plugs and you just plugged them both in? When a fan has both a 3/4 pin and a molex connector on the same cable, usually they're optional, and you only need one or the other to make it work. in fact, often when you plug both of them in, the molex connector actually ends up killing the fan header or possibly even the motherboard, so you're only supposed to have one at a time plugged in.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

53 minutes ago, Msuni said:

Ahhhhh ok, that makes it much simpler then. Followup question, how come my old fans needed to be connected to the motherboard AND the power supply but the Silent Wings 3 don't (only the motherboard) - is it just better design etc? 

It depends on the fan. Some fans are powered by molex and just have a 3pin fan header for reporting rpm to the motherboard. Other fans can be powered by either the molex power connector or the standard fan connector.. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Some PSUs come with fan power connectors. Or SATA to fan power adapters. But usually you want to connect fans to mobo for better control options.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 1/13/2020 at 5:43 PM, Fasauceome said:

are you sure they needed to, or only that they had those two plugs and you just plugged them both in? When a fan has both a 3/4 pin and a molex connector on the same cable, usually they're optional, and you only need one or the other to make it work. in fact, often when you plug both of them in, the molex connector actually ends up killing the fan header or possibly even the motherboard, so you're only supposed to have one at a time plugged in.

Ok, i just swapped in my new fans and realised that they werent connected to both, they were only connected to the power supply. No idea why i thought they were attached to both but hey.