Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will upgrading to 4133mhz ram from 3200mhz fix the low gpu utilisation in certain CPU bound games?

My current rig-
I9 9900k at 5ghz
Asus Strix Z390E motherboard. 
RTX 2080

My current ram-

https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC4-25600-3200MHz-F4-3200C16D-16GVKB/dp/B015FXXBW0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=gskill+ripjaws+16gb+ddr4+3200&qid=1578834422&sprefix=g+skill+ripjaws+16&sr=8-2

In Assassins creed odyssey, my gpu utilisation is between 75% to 90% in cities and my CPU is not pegged at 100% (it’s at 50% usage) so I was wondering if my RAM speed is the bottleneck. I am using it with the XMP profile. Will upgrading to a 4133mhz ram like the below help with the issue and improve FPS in CPU bound games?


https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-TridentZ-288-Pin-4133MHz-F4-4133C19D-16GTZR/dp/B01NCV4CY8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=gskill+4133mhz&qid=1578834504&sr=8-3

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, celpas said:

My current rig-
I9 9900k at 5ghz
Asus Strix Z390E motherboard. 
RTX 2080

My current ram-

https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-PC4-25600-3200MHz-F4-3200C16D-16GVKB/dp/B015FXXBW0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=gskill+ripjaws+16gb+ddr4+3200&qid=1578834422&sprefix=g+skill+ripjaws+16&sr=8-2

In Assassins creed odyssey, my gpu utilisation is between 75% to 90% in cities and my CPU is not pegged at 100% (it’s at 50% usage) so I was wondering if my RAM speed is the bottleneck. I am using it with the XMP profile. Will upgrading to a 4133mhz ram like the below help with the issue and improve FPS in CPU bound games?


https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-TridentZ-288-Pin-4133MHz-F4-4133C19D-16GTZR/dp/B01NCV4CY8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=gskill+4133mhz&qid=1578834504&sr=8-3

Check the cpu useage core by core. Might just be that a core is pegged at 100% and then there's nothing you can really do about it part from oc your 9900k even further. Upgrading the ram is not going to help.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a big improvement in average frame rates going from 2400 to 3200, but AFAIK going above that has diminishing returns.

I don't entirely trust GPU utilisation percentages as I don't think they tell you the big picture.  You don't necessarily want it pegged at 100% as you're more likely to have stutters as things start having to wait for the GPU to catch up.

 

Especially with Assassins Creed games, I think there are other bottlenecks in the engine that are almost impossible to solve.

What is your current resolution and performance?

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

What FPS are you getting and at what resolution? Are you using VSync or a frame limiter (if there is one in the game)?

Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | MSI GTX 1080 Ti SeaHawk X | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 512 GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus | Corsair TX650M | NZXT H210i | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | AMD Wraith Prism | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus Prime X570 Pro | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 4x 3 TB + 2 TB WD Red/Seagate/Toshiba  | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.8.3

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I saw a big improvement in average frame rates going from 2400 to 3200, but AFAIK going above that has diminishing returns.

I don't entirely trust GPU utilisation percentages as I don't think they tell you the big picture.  You don't necessarily want it pegged at 100% as you're more likely to have stutters as things start having to wait for the GPU to catch up.

 

Especially with Assassins Creed games, I think there are other bottlenecks in the engine that are almost impossible to solve.

What is your current resolution and performance?

 

33 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

What FPS are you getting and at what resolution? Are you using VSync or a frame limiter (if there is one in the game)?

I am playing at 1440p and using RTSS frame rate limiter. My FPS ranges from 60-80fps in Athens city in odyssey. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Check the cpu useage core by core. Might just be that a core is pegged at 100% and then there's nothing you can really do about it part from oc your 9900k even further. Upgrading the ram is not going to help.

I just checked. When my GPU utilisation drops to 75% and FPS drops to 56 all the cores on my 9900k reach around 80% usage but none of them are pegged at 100%. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, celpas said:

I just checked. When my GPU utilisation drops to 75% and FPS drops to 56 all the cores on my 9900k reach around 80% usage but none of them are pegged at 100%. 

I've not played in a while so would need to check, but I seem to recall that happening though I don't remember the CPU going even that high, though I have an all-core turbo of 4.7Ghz.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, celpas said:

 

I am playing at 1440p and using RTSS frame rate limiter. My FPS ranges from 60-80fps in Athens city in odyssey. 

 

Frame limiting is your cause

 

In this scenario it's working as intended. Your gpu can generate more frames than you have specified, but won't because of your limit. This will be presented as lower you utilization.

 

The sensors aren't super real time and can delay a tiny bit. 

 

Also, cities and stuff with lots of NPCs are going to be cpu heavy and result in GPU downtime.

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/512GB Silicon Power A55/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD/2TB Seagate Barracuda // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

 

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

 

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 3.9ghz All-core @1.39v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

 

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // XFX RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/1TB WD SN550 // Display: ACER Nitro VG240Y/ PBiip / Dell P2417H // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

 

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB OC // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p // Redragon TKL Mechanic Keyboard + Mouse

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've not played in a while so would need to check, but I seem to recall that happening though I don't remember the CPU going even that high, though I have an all-core turbo of 4.7Ghz.

Well here's something weird. I disabled Hyper threading on my 9900k and now my CPU utilisation is always between 60-90% in the forests and 90-100% in cities and now my GPU utilisation isn't fluctuating wildly like before and is mostly a constant 90%. It seems this game is unable to utilise all threads properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, celpas said:

Well here's something weird. I disabled Hyper threading on my 9900k and now my CPU utilisation is always between 60-90% in the forests and 90-100% in cities and now my GPU utilisation isn't fluctuating wildly like before and is mostly a constant 90%. It seems this game is unable to utilise all threads properly.

Hate to break it to you, AC:OD isn't demanding because it's awesome

 

It's demanding because it is optimized like American healthcare

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/512GB Silicon Power A55/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD/2TB Seagate Barracuda // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

 

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

 

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 3.9ghz All-core @1.39v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

 

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // XFX RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/1TB WD SN550 // Display: ACER Nitro VG240Y/ PBiip / Dell P2417H // Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

 

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // ASUS Radeon RX 570 4GB OC // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD/2TB Seagate HDD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p // Redragon TKL Mechanic Keyboard + Mouse

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×