Scrapyard wars idea and video idea and new merch idea.

Speeed

Scrapyard Wars: A "budget" wars where you have something around $500 but you cant buy a conventional case, so you would have to make your own case, wood, acrylic, your choice. But it must have something like 3 fans mounts or something. And you get points on how creative you are on your design. And you cant use the machines you have at the studio. So you ave to use hand tools. 

Video Idea: Build a PC in a vacuum and see how long it lasts or if it lasts forever. 

Merch Idea: Wan show merch with the hexagonal design wrapping around the whole shirt with the LTT logo printed on one of the hexagons.

Just spit balling some brain farts I've had watching the WAN show : P 

I approve this man! 

Especially this:

2 minutes ago, Speeed said:

Video Idea: Build a PC in a vacuum and see how long it lasts or if it lasts forever. 

Merch Idea: Wan show merch with the hexagonal design wrapping around the whole shirt with the LTT logo printed on one of the hexagons.

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

The vacuum idea... it doesn't take more than a highschool physics lesson to know the answer to that.

Heatsinks rely on natural air convection (the movement of air of the surface) to move heat away ... this is helped by adding fans. Air goes through the heatsink fins and heat is transferred into the air and the metal surface of the fins gets cooler.

In the lack of air, the heatsinks become very inefficient, there will be a small period of time from the moment you turn on the pc until the heatsinks get up to temperature, after that the PC will probably shut down, because the motherboard has temperature sensors in the VRM (the dc-dc converter circuit which powers the cpu) and the cpu also has bunch of sensors inside and will shut down when it overheats.

So as soon as you get to around 100-110 degrees celsius the system will will shut down.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The vacuum idea... it doesn't take more than a highschool physics lesson to know the answer to that.

Heatsinks rely on natural air convection (the movement of air of the surface) to move heat away ... this is helped by adding fans. Air goes through the heatsink fins and heat is transferred into the air and the metal surface of the fins gets cooler.

In the lack of air, the heatsinks become very inefficient, there will be a small period of time from the moment you turn on the pc until the heatsinks get up to temperature, after that the PC will probably shut down, because the motherboard has temperature sensors in the VRM (the dc-dc converter circuit which powers the cpu) and the cpu also has bunch of sensors inside and will shut down when it overheats.

So as soon as you get to around 100-110 degrees celsius the system will will shut down.

I know bro. I am a physics PHD lol! 

But did be interesting to see how long it takes for different setups to shut themselves down and they could make tests lowering the pressure and seeing with how "less" air the systems could be running without hitting shutdown temp

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

What about a custom water loop, because some rads cool enough without fans

CPU: Amd Ryzen 3400g 

COOLER: Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4

MOBO: Aorus x570 elite 

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengence 3200 MHz 

SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

GPU: Powercolour Red Devil RX570 4GB

PSU: Corsair RM750x 80+ Gold

CASE: Coolermaster H500p Mesh

Just now, Zvoid said:

What about a custom water loop, because some rads cool enough without fans

They cool enough because the convection of air inside them. So in a vacuum you wont have that effect either 

BUT depending on how the vacuum camber is done there will also be effects from heat radiation. But I guess thats negligible.

Just now, Metallus97 said:

They cool enough because the convection of air inside them. So in a vacuum you wont have that effect either 

BUT depending on how the vacuum camber is done there will also be effects from heat radiation. But I guess thats negligible.

Yeah I guess so, but I just thought of something. 

Remember the watercooling with concrete video, the concrete absorbed a lot of the heat before it had the chance to even get to a radiator. What if that were to be put in a vacuum, then I would think that the only point of failure would be the actual pc and not just the heat.

8 hours ago, mariushm said:

I know it wouldnt work, thats the point. I just think itd be cool to see it rather than just knowing it wouldn't work. 

1 minute ago, Zvoid said:

Yeah I guess so, but I just thought of something. 

Remember the watercooling with concrete video, the concrete absorbed a lot of the heat before it had the chance to even get to a radiator. What if that were to be put in a vacuum, then I would think that the only point of failure would be the actual pc and not just the heat.

Well The water-cooled PC would simply take longer to reach the shutdown temp.

Just now, Metallus97 said:

Well The water-cooled PC would simply take longer to reach the shutdown temp.

Yes but that’s not the point, I think what he meant was could the pc survive and run normally in a vacuum if it is properly cooled but i don’t know if there is a way unless you run a radiator outside the chamber which would require extra sealing and would make it overall less stable, but then again they would need to run the cables out anyway.

34 minutes ago, Zvoid said:

Yes but that’s not the point, I think what he meant was could the pc survive and run normally in a vacuum if it is properly cooled but i don’t know if there is a way unless you run a radiator outside the chamber which would require extra sealing and would make it overall less stable, but then again they would need to run the cables out anyway.

yeha that would work. But you have to have nice tubing etc to survey the pressure inside the vacuum. But sure that could work. but then you need to cool every heat producing component with the loop. In a vacuum the CPU VRM for example will possibly also overheat

23 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

yeha that would work. But you have to have nice tubing etc to survey the pressure inside the vacuum. But sure that could work. but then you need to cool every heat producing component with the loop. In a vacuum the CPU VRM for example will possibly also overheat

Yeah definitely, or use low power components so the vrm’s and such don’t need any cooling, like a 200ge on a b350 board at stock speeds they should be fine, as my friend removed the heat sinks completely if the vrms for a custom water block he made and didn’t want to test it on high end hardware and the didn’t go above 55c in a fanless case

9 minutes ago, Zvoid said:

Yeah definitely, or use low power components so the vrm’s and such don’t need any cooling, like a 200ge on a b350 board at stock speeds they should be fine, as my friend removed the heat sinks completely if the vrms for a custom water block he made and didn’t want to test it on high end hardware and the didn’t go above 55c in a fanless case

Nah... even something with low power putput will warm up doe to noting being there absorbing the heat. ""no cooling" is referred to when you dont need airflow. But normaly there is still air around it to take away the heat.

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

Nah... even something with low power putput will warm up doe to noting being there absorbing the heat. ""no cooling" is referred to when you dont need airflow. But normaly there is still air around it to take away the heat.

Yeah but if you wanted to cool all of it it would require a full monoblock, wouldn’t it ? And at that point you might as well just put a full custom loop in the vacuum with the rad(s) outside and decent hardware, which would be a risk because it would be a waste if it was destroyed, but there isn’t many low end boards that support mono blocks, at least I can’t think of any.

EVERYTHING on the board will heat up, potentially up to dying itself.

For example, the onboard audio chip may only dissipate 0.25w or so, which can be dumped into the circuit board through the chip pins so the chip doesn't need heatsink on top. Same for the network card chip, which may dissipate 0.5w or so, staying at 40-50c during regular use, without any heatsink (maximum safe temperature for the die being 85c or higher, depending on manufacturing process)

However, in void, without natural air convection, the circuit board traces would slowly raise in temperature reaching the same temperature of the chips, and then the board wil raise in temperature in sync with the components, because there's no air to transfer the heat from the board to the outside world.

Chips like the audio or network chip may or may not have built on over-temperature protections because few people think "but what if they're used in vacuum", so they may blow up and kill the motherboard.

You would basically have to wrap the whole board in a block... at that point you may just as well sink the board into mineral oil and suck the air out and the whole mineral oil volume.

If you want to take it further, you could do like what some companies do for heating houses or whatever.... drill a few meters deep in ground and insert some copper pipe all the way down and pump the mineral oil through the pipes. The oil would transfer heat through the copper pipe into the earth surrounding the pipe, and the temperature a few meters below would be colder than the temperature inside the pc... not sure if the transfer is fast enough to cool the mineral oil fast enough, and you'll need a powerful pump anyway.

There's official and monitored thread for video suggestions

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Scrapyard wars idea. 

Try coming to the UK with £500 and seeing who can get the best build. 

Go home with that £500 laughing. Honestly I can buy better new for the money than what people are offering at silly prices for their old stuff (see below) 

Seriously though how about an 8 bit challenge?

Screenshot_20200113_154124_com.facebook.katana.jpg