Wanna help me look for a new laptop?

Natriss

I'm going to high school next year and I need a new laptop (current one is a macbook air 2013-model ... ). So I set a budget and some requirements that I need in the laptop.

So my max. amout is 1500€ (incl. shipping). Here is a list I already created "the list" (there is a second page). Also, there has to be bluetooth, wifi and ethernet available. I know, it's a lot for now that much money.

The laptop that I got my eye on it the Lenovo Legion Y540.

Do you think this is enough or if you have a better laptop in mind that I need to check out, please let me know.

Thx

what are you going to be using the laptop for? - given the models on your list im assuming general school work with the ability to play games in the evening?

Ive previously owned lenovo gaming laptops (Y900 and Y910) and found them to run extremely hot/loud and break quickly. Id have a look at the dell xps.

Additionally, if you dont need the powerful pc to be mobile, consider building or buying a desktop pc as well as a cheap laptop for school. You may get better performance overall from using €1000-1200 on a desktop setup and then €300-500 on a budget laptop. This option gives you easy upgradability in the desktop without the compromises attatched to gaming laptops. you'd also get more battery life from a budget, non gaming laptop

I already build a desktop, just need a laptop for indeed, school and gaming on the side. I don't wanna upgrade my pc for a while so I'm putting all my money in a good laptop.

Not just word, it's adobe, microsoft visualsa and more ... I don't exactly all the programs I need for next year.

3 hours ago, Natriss said:

I already build a desktop, just need a laptop for indeed, school and gaming on the side. I don't wanna upgrade my pc for a while so I'm putting all my money in a good laptop.

Not just word, it's adobe, microsoft visualsa and more ... I don't exactly all the programs I need for next year.

Those programs aren't too difficult for most modern laptops so you should be fine with anything. Id again recommend the dell xps but the lenovo you mention will also do well for that application.

You could also look at a macbook if you had one before and liked it... i currently use the macbook pro 13 inch for similar programs, with vmware fusion for windows apps.

older lenovo laptops were actually kinda bad but the y540 is rlly good, id say its one of the best laptops for the price on the market right now, so i would recommend you get that, but another good laptop is the asus zenbook 14 ux433. It doesnt have an ethernet port but im pretty sure there is a thunderbolt 3 port which you could buy an ethernet dongle or something for.

But if you think that the lenovo legion y540 is the best buy for you, then dont have any hesitations since the price is very worth it for the specs and the longevity, the fans are extremely robust but not loud enough to disturb most people on full load

1 hour ago, Hunter343 said:

im pretty sure there is a thunderbolt 3 port

there isn't

11 hours ago, Natriss said:

max. amout is 1500€ (incl. shipping)

Usage? Any preferences on weight and battery life? Which country are you from?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I really don't care about weight and battery life. I need to charge my galaxy s9 2 times a day, so that doesn't bother me so much.

I'm from Belgium, EU. Not everything on US sites ships to belgium :/

1 hour ago, Natriss said:

I'm from Belgium, EU. Not everything on US sites ships to belgium :/

Any links of local online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Sure, I don't know if there is an english option on them.

Bol.com / alternate.be / coolblue.be / mediamarkt.be 

Those are the places where I look for electronic devices or pc parts.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:24 PM, Natriss said:

max 1500€ (incl. shipping)

Lenovo Legion Y540-17IRH 81Q40031MB, 81Q4004MMH, or other similar spec models with 144Hz

Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH 81SX008CMB, 81SX00AGMH, 81SX007YMH, 81SX00KYMB, or other similar spec models with 144Hz

Alternate Gamer Starter 15X984 / Alternate Gamer Starter 17X984 / Medion Erazer P15811 / Bytesatwork NH55EDQ (8th gen, 2060): Clevo NH50/NH70 series

If Asus support is decent in your country, you can consider GL531/G531 (1660Ti/2060) and GL504GV too

Are you able to buy from Netherlands websites?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I'm able to buy from any site, so long it ships to belgium.

Yes, most Netherlands sites ships to belgium.

Went to local store asking what the best laptop was, but I just hate azerty keyboards (BE standard) and too expensive for what you have...

Additional models:

from SKIKK: 15QD55 / 15QC55 (Clevo NH55), 17GK6R / 17GK0R (Tongfang GK7-R), 17GK6S (Tongfang GK7CP6S)

from laptopparts4less: Tongfang GK7CP0S / GK7CP6S, Tongfang GK7CP0R / GK7CP6R, Clevo NH55RDQ / NH55RCQ

from Alternate: Thunderstorm RTX2060/GTX1660Ti (Clevo NH50 series)

Also refer to the previous models I've mentioned

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Have you considered the Dell G5 15 ?

I had a dell gaming laptop before (the dell inspiron i7759 5012gry) and i was able to game on it for 3 years before I sold it off. Solid build and specs.

Link: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/dell-g5-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-5590-laptop.

If you do not plan on gaming , definitely recommend an ultrabook instead. Something along the lines of asus zenbook / huwaei matebook x / xps 13 / hp spectre.

Dell comparison.PNG

38 minutes ago, David Wright said:

Dell G5 15

runs hot

Desktop specs:

Spoiler