Amazon Claims Honey Browser Extension is a Security Risk

jiyeon
On 1/10/2020 at 4:37 AM, Sampsy said:

Out of interest - has honey actually saved anyone money? I've had the extension for like 2 years now and it has literally never found me a coupon to use. 

Saved me quite a bit, I knew a single coupon for Lenovo, but Honey had a better coupon for Lenovo's online store. I'd say I saved $120-200 from Lenovo's overpriced online MSRP.

1 hour ago, comander said:

I know someone who works in privacy and security. Once it's deleted it's out of backups within 2 months. The same data could be in two sections though. 

With that said, historical aggregated logs are kept. From a "can the government use this against me" perspective - probably not. Each log entry presumably has hundreds or millions of people per group. 

I think it depends a lot on the service. I still get emails from Facebook about signing back up despite "deleting" my account 7 or 8 years ago. My understanding is that once you reactivate you get your old account with all your old data exactly how you left it. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. They claim to make money from the merchant, but there's just no way they'd pass up the opportunity to get money from selling your info, too.

Also, am I the only one for whom Honey literally never saved a single cent? I'm in Canada and there's usually always only 2 or 3 "codes" (usually the same ones) and none of them ever work. I don't know why I even keep trying to use Honey, I make sure to disable it when I don't shop though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Regarding honey working, it has noticed that it is mostly american companys.
i have saved money on the danish version of a american company saved 15% on JBL for example and found coupons on noumerous sites.

but indeed not many local but offcourse honey needs to evolve to beable to handle the small local contry companies.

on regards off there privacy,, well yeah but my shopping and search history is known by so many companies :) but i dont know if honey is one of them

On 1/10/2020 at 5:02 AM, sowon said:

as browser extensions all track browser activity in some form.

*have access to browser activity in some form. wether they track it somewhere is up to the developer. 

She/Her

Honey helped save me $40 on the chair I bought from Office Depot online. I'll let it stay in my browser a little while longer.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

????????????????????????????????

Yeah ok Amazon just because you track everything everyone buys doesn't mean that you're the only company allowed to

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

On 1/10/2020 at 3:37 AM, Sampsy said:

Out of interest - has honey actually saved anyone money? I've had the extension for like 2 years now and it has literally never found me a coupon to use. 

it sometimes finds me something that I couldn't already find lol

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

While I chose to uninstall honey after the purchase this reeks of a desperation play by Amazon to ensure that it's own internal analytics are the only collection of each persons shopping data on Amazon, if someone else has it too it's worth less.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

On 1/9/2020 at 9:14 PM, Bitter said:

It's a security risk to Amazon profits LOL

That was my first thought reading the title LMAO

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I wonder if LMG has seen this since they are a big sponsor. 

3 hours ago, Inkz said:

I wonder if LMG has seen this since they are a big sponsor. 

Honey is currently flogged buy a significant number of youtuber's. Unfortunately I kinda place more suspicion on how Honey works, even if I don't believe Amazon.

Think about it, first Honey has to know what your "cart" looks like, and where you are. Are you in the US? Mexico? Afghanistan? Many discounts on products tend to only apply if an item is shipped within the continental US and no longer apply if shipped outside the US, and there is a lot of things that if you buy from the US you get dinged on import taxes since the trade agreements often stipulate that duty-free only applies to items PRODUCED in that country. So if you want to save money on buying that iPhone, you're not going to save it from Amazon.com when they charge you $200 in import taxes.

With that said, if you want your privacy, you will immediately uninstall all browser extensions, even ad blockers. You actually create a larger fingerprint when you block the ads outside normal browser behavior because the site will know that you're not viewing the ads when your IP address doesn't show up in the advertising system (if tracked at all.) Honey is the same in this regard, you're willingly asking for ads, and if you're blocking ads, I doubt Honey can work. But don't take my word for it, that's just the logic of how it can do this. Where is it getting the coupons from? ads somewhere. Those ads are either on the site itself, or they're shown to specific markets somewhere and Honey could actively be scraping it from users who aren't blocking ads.

But I digress, I have not installed Honey and I can see a dozen different ways Honey can work and go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2020 at 11:14 PM, Bitter said:

It's a security risk to Amazon profits LOL

Bout right.

What is the point of using any other Browsers apart from Safari and Chrome. They both are more secure than any

Arf. Amazon says "do as I say, not what I do" .

Le PC: Gigiabyte Gaming 3, AMD 2700x, Yeston RX 550 4gb, Corsair 16gb, Corsair 450w PSU & Aerocool QS240 case. Linux, Elementary OS.

oh no don't you hate it when honey knows I buy sock, straws, and random gadgets from amazon and targets me with data specific ads. oh wait adblock ah yes. 

On 1/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, TetraSky said:

Also, am I the only one for whom Honey literally never saved a single cent? I'm in Canada and there's usually always only 2 or 3 "codes" (usually the same ones) and none of them ever work. I don't know why I even keep trying to use Honey, I make sure to disable it when I don't shop though.

I've used Honey for just over the past year. Between take-aways and  purchases for motorbike stuff/Electrical gadgets etc ive probably saved a good 2 or 300 £'s. It does work, just depends on what site your on i guess.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 1/11/2020 at 4:48 AM, Sakkura said:

This seems like prime lawsuit material. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Honey’s browser extension is a security risk. Honey tracks your private shopping behavior, collects data like your order history and items saved, and can read or change any of your data on any website you visit. To keep your data private and secure, uninstall this extension immediately.

Pot, meet kettle.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

On 1/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, TempestCatto said:

Idk how much I wanna believe this. I mean, PayPal isn't malicious nor owned by some Chinese company. I don't think they could or would have changed anything about Honey so soon after purchasing it. I've been using it a lot for the past couple of years now and haven't had anything weird or suspicious happen.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker