r9 390 too good?

DerekAnaya

So I was looking to upgrade my r9 390x for around 200/250 american dollars, however it looks like at best overall I will only get a 10-15 fps boost. Which isnt much for 200 dollars. Should I even upgrade? or wait.

Umm. 

No.  200$ for a 15 fps upgrade is nonsense. 

Why would you even consider this? 

I think you would need to at least invest around $300...

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-AMD-R9-390X/4037vs3497

40% sounds better, yes?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Keep the R9 390 and save that 200-250 for a CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade, a R5 1600AF, a B450 board and 16GB 3/3.2GHz ram would cost approx 200-250

I was going to upgrade from 390X to 5700 on the basis of the 7nm bandwagon, BUT thermals/noise/size/cost just is not worth it right now. If AMD can pull out a better 7nm GPU in 2020 (either the high-end Navi with decent performance or HOPEFULLY a well performing Navi 2), then its worth the upgrade even for 350$

Going for Intel would be a more bullet-proof approach, but considering you are paying for a lot of "dark silicon" (RT cores) that MAY or MAY NOT get support from game devs and we dont know if they can work as generic compute units to boost performance with a driver/firmware update. 

All about them noise/thermals, IMHO. If AMD launches a cool (sic) GPU in 2020...well then I would upgrade. In the meantime, I suggest you keep it upto 1440p and lower the settings. Eat ramen and save up for a 400-500$ GPU

21 hours ago, PriitM said:

I was going to upgrade from 390X to 5700 on the basis of the 7nm bandwagon, BUT thermals/noise/size/cost just is not worth it right now. If AMD can pull out a better 7nm GPU in 2020 (either the high-end Navi with decent performance or HOPEFULLY a well performing Navi 2), then its worth the upgrade even for 350$

Going for Intel would be a more bullet-proof approach, but considering you are paying for a lot of "dark silicon" (RT cores) that MAY or MAY NOT get support from game devs and we dont know if they can work as generic compute units to boost performance with a driver/firmware update. 

All about them noise/thermals, IMHO. If AMD launches a cool (sic) GPU in 2020...well then I would upgrade. In the meantime, I suggest you keep it upto 1440p and lower the settings. Eat ramen and save up for a 400-500$ GPU

I personally only use/need/want my two 1080p 1ms monitors. Im super happy at 1080p right now. I suppose I'll just combine it with my small amount of tax refund this year which I JUST remembered is a thing.