Dell T3600 Tripping Breaker

STEAL7HY
Go to solution Solved by dalekphalm,
6 minutes ago, STEAL7HY said:

The circuit breaker in the house.

Okay - so what else is on that breaker? Easiest way to test this is to shut off the breaker and see which outlets don't work.

On top of that, you're basically going over the breaker Amp limit (Assuming standard NA circuit, 120V w/ 15A breaker). Grab an electrical meter (something like a Kill-A-Watt meter - cheap on Amazon) and measure the output of the server (and all accessories - if you use a powerbar, plug the powerbar into the meter). Find out how many Watts it's drawing (and note Volts and Amps too)

Then, measure all other devices on the circuit and add it all up. If the total draw is under 1300-1500W, you're fine - if it's spiking over 1500W, you're just overloading the circuit (though depending on the specific voltage your circuit outputs - 15A could be as high as 1875W, assuming 125V).

If your total amps are well under 15A, then there's likely an electrical issue with your circuit - a short or something else perhaps.

Hello I bought a Dell T3600 and installed a RX 570 into it. I am having an issue when trying to start the computer or waking up from sleep mode it will trip the breaker. But most of the time it will work fine when it does turn on. Does anyone have any ideas on how to start diagnosing this? Thank you!

Dell T3600

E5-1603

16 GB Ram

Visiontek RX 570 4GB

635W Power Supply

Can you clarify, what breaker is it tripping? The circuit breaker in your house for that particular outlet circuit?

Or the breaker inside your PSU?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you clarify, what breaker is it tripping? The circuit breaker in your house for that particular outlet circuit?

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Is there a seperate breaker for the psu if so I think it might be the socket not the pc.

6 minutes ago, STEAL7HY said:

Okay - so what else is on that breaker? Easiest way to test this is to shut off the breaker and see which outlets don't work.

On top of that, you're basically going over the breaker Amp limit (Assuming standard NA circuit, 120V w/ 15A breaker). Grab an electrical meter (something like a Kill-A-Watt meter - cheap on Amazon) and measure the output of the server (and all accessories - if you use a powerbar, plug the powerbar into the meter). Find out how many Watts it's drawing (and note Volts and Amps too)

Then, measure all other devices on the circuit and add it all up. If the total draw is under 1300-1500W, you're fine - if it's spiking over 1500W, you're just overloading the circuit (though depending on the specific voltage your circuit outputs - 15A could be as high as 1875W, assuming 125V).

If your total amps are well under 15A, then there's likely an electrical issue with your circuit - a short or something else perhaps.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Thank you sir this makes sense I have a refrigerator and another decently power hungry PC on the same breaker and I do believe I am over 1500W. I will unplug stuff and that should fix it! Thank you!