Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So a dealership offered me a Super Flower PSU which has the following model number: SF-500P12N SE, He offered me that PSU for a great price, And I am not sure if it's a good PSU or not, I kept googling it's model number and didn't find enough information to know if it's good or not... And the LTT PSU List didn't help at all...

Please give me an answer ASAP the dealer is waiting for my answer....

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

So a dealership offered me a Super Flower PSU which has the following model number: SF-500P12N SE, He offered me that PSU for a great price, And I am not sure if it's a good PSU or not, I kept googling it's model number and didn't find enough information to know if it's good or not... And the LTT PSU List didn't help at all...

Sounds like it's a sketchy af PSU you should stay away from, if you can't find it anywhere there's a reason why.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, scuff gang said:

Sounds like it's a sketchy af PSU you should stay away from, if you can't find it anywhere there's a reason why.

So should I get it or not?

They are actually (iirc) the people who supply the parts for Seasonic PSUs

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Sounds like it's a sketchy af PSU

????????

please, if you don't know, don't spread misinformation.

@InfinityVive

The 500p12n is old and discontinued (if I'm not mistaken). Unless it's VERY cheap, I wouldn't take it. Super-Flower is usually seen as a good PSU maker BTW. But this model is rather old and not much can be found online, even on the manufacturers site (though I found Chinese references, so it's also possible this is an Asian market only product ... but it would still show up on the website).

https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product.php?lang=en

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

10 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

Super Flower is an ODM, and they supply some very high quality units. The reason for it not being listed anywhere are likely because it's not a unit sold in NA, or it's older.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

????????

@InfinityVive

The 500p12n is old and discontinued (if I'm not mistaken). Unless it's VERY cheap, I wouldn't take it. Super-Flower is usually seen as a good PSU maker BTW. But this model is rather old and not much can be found online, even on the manufacturers site (though I found Chinese references, so it's also possible this is an Asian market only product ... but it would still show up on the website).

I am planning on using it in my i5-4590 and RX 570 rig, is it good enough to power it?

Just now, InfinityVive said:

I am planning on using it in my i5-4590 and RX 570 rig, is it good enough to power it?

yes, more than enough.

Edited by wkdpaul

VPN server guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Super Flower is an ODM, and they supply some very high quality units. The reason for it not being listed anywhere are likely because it's not a unit sold in NA, or it's older.

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

????????

@InfinityVive

I get that superflower is a good brand but if you can't find info on the PSU by the model number it could be a phony or a fake, that was my concern, sorry.

AMD blackout rig

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

yes, more than enough.

and will it hurt my PC in any meaningful way?

21 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

If its not even on google, just tell him no thanks. There most likely is a reason its so cheap...

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

In my opinion if it's an old psu it has the possibility of dying on you

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

If its not even on google, just tell him no thanks. There most likely is a reason its so cheap...

IT IS on google, but I can't find any gaming reviews about it...

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

In my opinion if it's an old psu it has the possibility of dying on you

That's only if it's being sold used, but if it's new then there is no greater possibility of it dying than any other new PSU

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

IT IS on google, but I can't find any gaming reviews about it...

Oh im sorry. I misunderstood.

13 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

and will it hurt my PC in any meaningful way?

it's hard to say. It's old, so it's either used, or it gathered dust all these years. If it wasn't used, then it's perfectly fine. But if it was used, like others said, it might be best to pass on this.

14 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

I get that superflower is a good brand but if you can't find info on the PSU by the model number it could be a phony or a fake, that was my concern, sorry.

ah ok! In that case we agree! :P

But appart from a few Korean and Chinese sites, I can't find anything on it. SF site has a section for discontinued product, but it's empty! :(

https://www.super-flower.com.tw/product.php?PID=20&lang=en

Though NewEgg US used to have the 550w variant ;

https://www.newegg.com/sfc-sf-silent-sf-550p12-550w/p/N82E16817203002

VPN server guide

Spoiler

Okay I told the dealer I will go to him to try the PSU out, the problem here is that I want to know if it will hurt my hardware in the long term use... any good way to know if it can hurt my PC in long term use?

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Okay I told the dealer I will go to him to try the PSU out, the problem here is that I want to know if it will hurt my hardware in the long term use... any good way to know if it can hurt my PC in long term use?

No there's not really a good way to know unless you are sure that it is a quality PSU, that's why alot of people recomend paying a premium and not cheaping out on your PSU.

The best thing you can do is bring a voltage meter and check all the cables are at a stable voltage and they are not dead or fluctuating a whole lot.

AMD blackout rig

No there's not really a good way to know unless you are sure that it is a quality PSU, that's why alot of people recomend paying a premium and not cheaping out on your PSU.

The best thing you can do is bring a voltage meter and check all the cables are at a stable voltage and they are not dead or fluctuating a whole lot.

I think there is a program that can measure the voltage of the PSU...

When I get to that part and start checking the voltage... What should I check? what should the voltages be like at idle and under heavy workload?

16 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I think there is a program that can measure the voltage of the PSU...

When I get to that part and start checking the voltage... What should I check? what should the voltages be like at idle and under heavy workload?

12V should be 12,00V - 5+Vsb should be 5V even when PSU is in standby
5V should be 5,00V - 3V should be 3,3V
And so on. There is a 10% margin either way in the specifications, but any good PSU is waay under that.

There's also a ripple thing, voltage difference when being used, a good PSU has that very little. But you need expensive hardware to test that part. (an oscilloscope)
GamersNexus just started testing PSU's its very interesting. I can advise checking some vids out about it.

edit:
HWinfo 64 is the one i use it has almost all the sensors and such to read out. Including voltages. Here are mine from a Corsair RM750x (2018) (High quality PSU).

Screenshot_32.png

That is under light use, so ideally the 12V would be a bit higher. But i blame the HDD's for that. :)
Also 5V nice and cool despite the 10's of USB peripherals i use.
So anywhere close to those numbers and you good. As long as they dont change to much under usage, well they can change as long as they get back up to good numbers when a load kicks in.

Also once you install HWinfo64 theres so many voltages. Just look for the ones i shared. Those are easiest to test.
But theres so much info. It even keeps the voltage of your onboard battery. Totally unnecessary in daily use, but oh lord if its not there when you need it. :P

Sorry im going on a tangent here.

I created an account just to let you know that this PSU works just fine. I bought one second hand and am currently using it in my Q300L case with a GTX 970 Ref GPU, Asus Z170i MB, I5 6600K processor, 1tb WD Blue SSD, and 16gb corsair DDR4 3000hz RAM. havent had any issues over the past 2 weeks since I built the computer.

20200101_134025.thumb.jpg.1eca9b180ca2cf1a31c3f20da471363c.jpg

8 hours ago, Lurick said:

Also incorrect.

13 hours ago, Lurick said:

because @jonnyGURU didn't want to say it ?

superflower is mostly known as one of the main oems for evga, making the g2, p2, t2 and g3 for example. the only thing seasonic and sf share is that they both outsource some of their work to the same company, being RSY

PSU Tier List 4.0//Motherboard Tier List//Community Standards//ATX Specification//Group Regulation//Topologies and Regulations//How many watts?//PSU Protections

Don't forget to quote or mention me

Primary PC:

Spoiler

CPU: I5-8600k 5.0ghz

GPU: GTX 1070 ti EVGA SC Gaming

RAM: 2x8 3333 mhz DDR4 Trident Z

MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM Seagate Baracudda, 1 TB 5400 RPM Samsung Spinpoint HD103SI

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Case: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB (modified)

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX650

Consoles:

Spoiler

PS4 Slim Glacier White 500 GB

PS4 FTP Special Edition 500 GB

PS3 Super Slim 500 GB

PS2 OG

Xbox OG

DS Lite White

DS Lite Black/blue

DS Lite Blue

DSI XL Orange