Best laptop for college?

Hey guys, I want to get a good school laptop that my fiance can draw on to take notes for school but I don't know the best options I was going to get her the surface pro but I'd rather not drop 1k on the purchase I would feel more comfortable around 500 I saw the surface go but at 500 the specs are not good and it doesn't come with accessories. I also don't want to have the cheap laptop issue where the thing can barley handle chrome or it can boot up well. So I'm thinking like at lest a duo core cpu with 4-8 gb of ram anyone got any suggestions? Thanks so much! 

Edit: also being thin is important

So writing more than drawing?  For non art pen use the Microsoft surface pro is supposed to rock.  Never used one myself

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

A good bang for your buck would be a used/refurb Lenovo Yoga 260 or 460. Around $300 on eBay with an i7 and Wacom Stylus/Touch display. 

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

2 minutes ago, vukos said:

A good bang for your buck would be a used/refurb Lenovo Yoga 260 or 460. Around $300 on eBay with an i7 and Wacom Stylus/Touch display. 

Wacom is artist level stuff.  Or used to be.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wacom is artist level stuff.  Or used to be.  

So that's even better.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So that's even better.

Depends.

It’s got lots better touch levels and more resolution.  More data makes it poll slower which is why it needs more CPU. You can use it like a brush.  It will be much better at drawing pictures.  The surface pro is more like a marker.  It’s better for doing things like drawing boxes around stuff and underlining and highlighting text.  Depends on what you are doing.  If you’re doing text markup the surface pro will do it using less battery and be just as responsive.  Smaller machine, longer life.  It’s more limited though.  A full on see through Wacom screeen will allow one to paint, which can’t be done on a surface.  At least not very well.  Uses more battery, the device is bigger, the variable levels may actually be annoying if they’re the opposite of what you want.