Tech Quicke and lies about free Windows

homeap5

I know you can upgrade for free, from Win7/8 to 10, we've done it at work, Win10 happily uses the existing key with no fuss.

Back then Win10 first came out, MS tried to force people to upgrade for free, these were all upgrades of course.

As to a totally free fresh install, well it depends on your POV about the watermark or a 3rd party KMS.

Considering the underhanded business tactics of MS, I don't lose sleep over activation.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

I was only against lies (that Windows is somehow freeware).

Except they never said that in the first place. They said "Microsoft is letting people use Windows 10 for free" without commenting whether that is or isn't in accordance with the license agreement, which is technically indeed what happens.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Except they never said that in the first place. They said "Microsoft is letting people use Windows 10 for free" without commenting whether that is or isn't in the license agreement, which is technically indeed what happens.

They may not said that word by word, but that video may gives an impression that Windows is freeware.

People like to make shortcuts and after I read lot of comments here, I really think that lot of people may start to believe Windows becomes freeware somehow.

It should be a little more explained - like "your Windows will work even if you don't buy license; of course it's still against EULA, but Microsoft no longer block your system".

* thread cleaned again *

Please discuss the subject in a respectful manner, avoid being disingenuous, condescending and avoid "baiting" 

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

but that video may gives an impression that Windows is freeware.

If someone was not able to figure out that a permanent "Activate Windows" watermark and a series of links leading them to the store to buy a key might just mean that they are actually supposed to buy a license they wouldn't be able to find the power button on their computer, let alone build/mod one (since this is about the only situation where you'd end up with an unactivated OS nowadays).

Really this video is "Why doesn't Microsoft actively prevent unlicensed use anymore", the answer is that they have more to gain from people being on the platform than from getting a one-time 100 bucks for a license from a tiny percentage of users, and it's pretty obvious.

And even if they didn't say it word by word in the video it's also pretty clearly explained that not having a license puts the nags, that the nags are removed with a valid license, and again if someone can't put 1+1 together they're not watching an LTT video in the first place.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

12 hours ago, EasonIDontKnowAnything said:

And as an entertainer with a relatively big influence, he has a social responsibility to be factual. It's not a hard concept.

Had it been a video about the ToS then youd have a case.

This video was covering why windows doesnt require a key.

He has no social responsibility to mentions things just because you would like him to. You have a personal responsibility to do proper research and not rely solely on something called "tech quickie".

The best part about how inaccurate this video is how there's no activate Windows watermark anymore. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 on two desktops and both activated automatically once the computer was connected to the Internet. I didn't even sync Windows with a Microsoft account.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

It defintiely still is there. If you don't get one it means a license was already associated with that machine's UEFI signature, which is the case for most machines that are not new builds from individual components.

Hence my comment that pretty much only people who build their own PC can run into it, and at that point they should be either aware of or capable of understanding that Windows is not freeware.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Did you know that while they don't advertise it as free or a trial that microsoft intends it to be used as such. They allow you to use most of windows 10 outside of a few features and a watermark.

They know that keeping you in the microsoft ecosystem is the best move they can make. Sure they might not make money off you right away or even for years, but eventually they will. Be it a full key, a purchase on the store, office products etc.

listen. yes you can run a unregistered windows...BUT you are locked out of certain features and areas in windows...ive seen not being able to access regedit or msconfig and such (tried helping some repair their comp to realise its not registered when i couldnt access them, once registered had access). ive seen some programs and game break because of it.
i mean theres no reason to not have win 10 registered. you can buy a oem key for 12 bucks.

This article is just someone who got upset with something they saw online and decided to come rant about it.  He is ignoring any fact that doesn't support his own argument. 

There is literally no point in even responding. In his eyes his stance is the only correct one. Can't argue with people like that.

On 1/5/2020 at 10:06 AM, homeap5 said:

people says that you can use Windows for free, which is not true (legally)

The fact is Microsoft doesn’t seem to have an issue with this practice. The fact is all other versions of Windows below Windows 10 would only work for 30 days unactivated. If they didn’t want people running it unactivated then they should require activation for it to work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I know you can upgrade for free, from Win7/8 to 10, we've done it at work, Win10 happily uses the existing key with no fuss.

Back then Win10 first came out, MS tried to force people to upgrade for free, these were all upgrades of course.

As to a totally free fresh install, well it depends on your POV about the watermark or a 3rd party KMS.

Considering the underhanded business tactics of MS, I don't lose sleep over activation.

Well I did the upgrade option.  And it BSOD twice and I followed this guy's step of using my existing Windows 7 Pro License Key after creating an Windows 10 ISO from my Windows 10 Desktop.  And installed Windows 10 Pro over Windows 7 Pro then keyed in my existing license key and it worked.  And I did this on 12/25/19.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

Its always fun when someone chooses to defend a multi-billion corporation that thrived using shady strategies, but hates when people use something that is available for free only because it is written somewhere "hey, that is not free for realsies".

Microsoft WANTS people to use windows 10, even if they dont pay. That is why they have it for free on their own website - they want the market share, it is good for their bottom line, and the money they really want is from the OEMs and enterprise. If every user on the planet uses windows, Microsoft will sell tons of licenses for the business that need to buy them. And even some of the free users will end up buying a license, so its a win-win.

I hate to state the obvious, but for some reason this thread has 7 pages?!? So there you go..

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

10 minutes ago, Taja said:

Its always fun when someone chooses to defend a multi-billion corporation that thrived using shady strategies, but hates when people use something that is available for free only because it is written somewhere "hey, that is not free for realsies".

Microsoft WANTS people to use windows 10, even if they dont pay. That is why they have it for free on their own website - they want the market share, it is good for their bottom line, and the money they really want is from the OEMs and enterprise. If every user on the planet uses windows, Microsoft will sell tons of licenses for the business that need to buy them. And even some of the free users will end up buying a license, so its a win-win.

I hate to state the obvious, but for some reason this thread has 7 pages?!? So there you go..

Because Windows 7 users are too stubborn to move to a different UI like Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10.  I use to hate Windows 10 when it first came out.  Now I'm happy that I switch.  This is the same old thing as Windows XP users who didn't want Vista or Windows 7.  They want to keep their OS's or pay nothing for it.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

* thread locked *

We usually leave threads like this open (critics of LMG content). But the lock doesn't come from the OP stance, but rather the waterfall of replies that OBVIOUSLY didn't read the OP. The complaint wasn't about defending MS, but rather correcting statements and omissions in the Tech Quickie video. Cleaning all this off-topic back and forth would be too long and hard and would make some arguments look out of context because of the missing parts after cleaning.

It will stay as-is, but is now locked.

In the future, I suggest you guys take the time to read the OP's arguments and comment on that instead of the thread title.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !