Tech Quicke and lies about free Windows

homeap5
38 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

So what? I'm not against piracy. I'm only against publishing lies. If they start saying something like "yes, we use unactivated version of Windows and we recommend it to anyone, because it's free and legal" - then it will be a problem (with disinformation).

It actually is both free and legal. EULAs aren't law, they're user agreements.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

You tagged the wrong guy btw, here, let me help with that. @LinusTech

I was rushing the second time I typed, so my mistake (I had accidentally hit back and had to retype the entirety of my first post)

46 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

@homeap5 @wanderingfool2 You do know that Linus and some other tech YouTubers don't activate Windows on their test benches, right?

Can't wait for the "Microsoft is suing us" videos to show up.. Any day now.

There is a big difference between not activating (but having a license) and telling people they can use their windows without a license.  The difference isn't even a subtle difference either. (And one of the usecases for not completely locking down a platform if a license check isn't done)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

And this wraps up OPs first day on the internet?  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Point of the video:

-> why you can use full fledge win 10 without activating (just locked down the astetics) instead of the usual 30 day trial.

-> why microsoft can afford not having those win 10 activated (even tho you should activate it)

-> in tldr sytle (that's techquickie for ya), does not cover details of the legal or moral consequences of it.

I think the title is misleading. should be “Why Windows is "technically" free?”

35 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

And this wraps up OPs first day on the internet?  

Some people have no arguments, so uses different methods. Unfortunatelly - this works only when most of audience is below your level (so not in this case).

41 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

It actually is both free and legal. EULAs aren't law, they're user agreements.

If you want to use product, you must agree conditions. It's not that you can agree only for half of EULA. Or use the product, but do not agree to the rules.

For example - if you start working in company, your employer can say "I agreed that you work for me, but I don't agree with part where I must pay for your work".

Or you can buy phone, start calling people and then refuse to pay for connections, because you agreed only for making calls, not for payments (and you don't read agreement, and it's not the law, just user agreement etc.)

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

So what? I'm not against piracy.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If you want to use product, you must agree conditions. It's not that you can agree only for half of EULA. Or use the product, but do not agree to the rules.

Quick question, if you're not against piracy, why are you against breaking the EULA? Or are you just mad cause it's techquickie.

3 minutes ago, JustWantTech said:

Point of the video:

-> why you can use full fledge win 10 without activating instead of the usual 30 day trial.

-> why microsoft can afford not having those win 10 activated

-> in tldr sytle (that's techquickie for ya), does not cover details of the legal or moral consequences of it.

I think the title is misleading. should be “Why Windows is "technically" free?”

In first part of video you can hear about small disadvantages of using unregistered version of Windows, then guy asks us why Microsoft gives everyone Windows like a candies. And then he said that they get money for different things. But that is wrong from the beginning, because Microsoft don't give Windows for free in the first place, so second part of video is based on wrong assumptions. It's fact that Microsoft is no longer company that rely on Windows as their main source of income, but that doesn't mean Windows is free.

If you want free operating system, you can download and use most of Linux distributions. And that is real free operating system.

3 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Quick question, if you're not against piracy, why are you against breaking the EULA? Or are you just mad cause it's techquickie.

I'm not against it really. I'm mostly "mad" because it's a lie that Windows is free. And then so many people repeats that lie after this known tech guru.

If this tech guy would say "I am using Windows for free, against EULA, and Microsoft doesn't care so much" - everything would be fine.

9 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I'm not against it really. I'm mostly "mad" because it's a lie that Windows is free. And then so many people repeats that lie after this known tech guru.

If this tech guy says "I am using Windows for free, against EULA, and Microsoft doesn't care so much" - everything will be fine.

You do realize that they're not the first people to say that, right?

Here's just one example:

Also, YouTube is littered with videos that show you how to "activate Windows for free", videos that are actually promoting piracy. If Microsoft were to act out against people, they would seek to shut down those sorts of videos, and not ones that say "you can use this without a key, but some features will be locked". At least that's how I see it.

@lewdicrous: I know that internet is full of cracks, wrong informations, lies, piracy etc. I'm just not expected that someone from tech quickie, who has millions of viewers, will act like that. Is not a problem when some John who has 5 viewers says whatever he wants - he is just lazy person who don't even check the facts. Poblem begins when known influencer is too lazy to check basic informations before he start recordign his video.

4 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

@lewdicrous: I know that internet is full of cracks, wrong informations, lies, piracy etc. I'm just not expected that someone from tech quickie, who has millions of viewers, will act like that. Is not a problem when some John who has 5 viewers says whatever he wants - he is just lazy person who don't even check the facts. Poblem begins when known influencer is too lazy to check basic informations before he start recordign his video.

Alright then, here you go.

@James @jmart604

I have 0 care to use windows non activated. My parents desktop is because it had a motherboard swap. My MC server doesn't need windows activated.

They offer it up for free with 99% of the functionality so IDK and I'm not going to buy it at full price

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

So what? I'm not against piracy. I'm only against publishing lies. If they start saying something like "yes, we use unactivated version of Windows and we recommend it to anyone, because it's free and legal" - then it will be a problem (with disinformation).

I just watched the video you linked.

Nowhere in it do they say that doing it this way is legal. or telling anyone they should o it.

They are just stating facts that you can do it. So whats the issue?

1 hour ago, RonnieOP said:

I just watched the video you linked.

Nowhere in it do they say that doing it this way is legal. or telling anyone they should o it.

They are just stating facts that you can do it. So whats the issue?

You know that you can have every game for free?

It's also the fact and I don't say in sentence above that it's against the law and you must use crack. But everyone who knows how it works understand what I mean.

The main problem in this video is that this tech guy don't mention that it's illegal, so people may assume that it's perfectly fine.

17 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

It's also the fact and I don't say in sentence above that it's against the law and you must use crack. But everyone who knows how it works understand what I mean.

The main problem in this video is that this tech guy don't mention that it's illegal, so people may assume that it's perfectly fine.

So your issue is they dont say that its against MS ToS?

They dont say it abides by it either.

Do you have an issue that on scrapyard wars they dont tell people that legally you have to claim your craigslist purchase to the IRS and pay sales tax on it? No. Because its up to the person to be aware of laws.

Its up to the user to do research on videos on youtube. The point of the video has nothing to do with MS ToS but the fact that MS allows you to use the software without activating it. Thats MS fault.

The whole argument that it could cause MS issues by doing anything more then a watermark is a terrible argument as well. Other companies have 0 problems implementing a system to where you cant just install and use their programs. Hell MS did it all the time before windows 10 as well.

Its clear as day the MS doesnt really care about it otherwise they wouldve done something about it long ago. They have the money and resources to implement better security. They choose not to. When you buy a key off ebay and scdkeys as well its against MS ToS and they know about it and dont do anything about it. It would take them no time and no money to send cease and desist letters to youtubers who are promoting scdkeys. They choose not to.

I dont work for MS so i couldnt tell you why they dont. but if i had to guess id say its because they dont care and having people using their OS (even unactivated) is their goal and thats how they make money (which is basically what the video says).

Even your example about pirating video games isnt a good argument.

If someone tells me I can bypass a clogged cat converter but not that its illegal in most states then thats on me to do my research. Anyone who blindly listens to anyone (esp a youtube video) only has themselves to blame if they are uninformed on something.

31 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Again, it's not illegal to break a EULA. 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

13 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Again, it's not illegal to break a EULA. 

Yeah... I always thought the whole point was that if you don't abide by the EULA then they dont have to abide by their part of the EULA either. So if you dont activate, they dont have to give you updates or protect your privacy (which is kinda scary when you think about it) or any of the other things they say they'll do if you DO activate.

What I got out of the video is that even if you dont abide by the EULA/ToS, Microsoft holds up their end of the deal anyway because of the reasons stated.

I'm a bit lost at the OP's rant? 

Im at work so cant watch it but I believe when I saw it the other day the video is in relation to the original Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade which allowed you to activate your Windows 10 for free. 

It was supposed to have been closed, but as of now the upgrade path is still available. 

There are so many places you can obtain a working Windows 7 license, and then you can upgrade using the Media Creational Tool and upgrade assistant to Windows 10 and activate it legitimately. It literally is free. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

6 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Im at work so cant watch it but I believe when I saw it the other day the video is in relation to the original Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade which allowed you to activate your Windows 10 for free. 

It was supposed to have been closed, but as of now the upgrade path is still available. 

There are so many places you can obtain a working Windows 7 license, and then you can upgrade using the Media Creational Tool and upgrade assistant to Windows 10 and activate it legitimately. It literally is free. 

The video has the upgrade path in it, but it also has the fact that you can download Windows 10 from microsoft themselves and clean install it then use it ad infinitum with nothing much except some aesthetics locked away.

I dont remember from my install, but do you click an OK button to agree to the EULA or ToS? Because then it is apparently a contract between 2 parties and you are in breach of contract if you dont abide by the EULA/ToS, which IS illegal.

6 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

it's about installing windows 10, not inputting a key then getting the watermark "this version of windows in not activated" after 30 days

the only thing it stops is personalisation features.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 minutes ago, Quivz said:

The video has the upgrade path in it, but it also has the fact that you can download Windows 10 from microsoft themselves and clean install it then use it ad infinitum with nothing much except some aesthetics locked away.

However using it on an unactivate basis is just an addendum to the video isn't it? You've always been able to do that ever since day 1 of Windows 10. My assumption was that the primary focus of the video was referencing the Upgrade path "quirk" that was heavily reported on during mid December as still being available. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 minutes ago, Quivz said:

Because then it is apparently a contract between 2 parties and you are in breach of contract if you dont abide by the EULA/ToS, which IS illegal.

Breach of contract isn't really illegal, not in this instance at least.

8 hours ago, homeap5 said:

There is no trial version of Windows. If you find anywhere on Microsoft website information about trial - let me know.

It may or may not say so on the Microsoft website, but you CAN legally use Windows for 15 or 30 days after install without entering the key, which is your "trial" period before the Activate Windows watermark appear.

You seems to be stuck on the fact that they don't specifically mention that you can use the software free of charge if you don't mind the watermark... (For OBVIOUS reasons, @Bananasplit_00 said it best, it's like Winrar, free forever, with the annoyance that it ask you to pay for it)

But the simple fact is... That windows still works just fine with said watermark, which means Microsoft made it work like that. 

If it's literally programmed as such, there's nothing illegal about using it the way it was made. (Not to mention, EULA are NOT laws, you can be "sued" for not respecting them(you won't be, next to no individuals are when using it a software personal purpose, they'd be if they were making money out of breaking it though) as it is a sort of "contract" between you and them that you accept by installing Windows... But you also didn't "sign" anything. There are legal precedents to show that EULA are not enforceable due to that.)

All that TechQuickie video did, is highlight something that's been possible for years but some people may not have known about.

Now if Microsoft literally crippled Windows in a way that made it next to unusable, I'd understand your argument that it's "illegal" and what not, if they were circumventing the "protection" or whatever to make it usable, but considering they aren't and Windows works just fine except for a few locked up features, I'm gonna go and assume Microsoft doesn't care and you shouldn't either.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Breach of contract isn't really illegal, not in this instance at least.

I would have thought it was. Care to elaborate on why it isn't?

I did hear of a guy who successfully argued that no one reads the EULA and just clicks the button, so there was no meeting of the minds and therefore the contract is invalid. but i don't remember what company or product this was for or if it was overturned in a higher court.

6 minutes ago, Quivz said:

I would have thought it was. Care to elaborate on why it isn't?

I did hear of a guy who successfully argued that no one reads the EULA and just clicks the button, so there was no meeting of the minds and therefore the contract is invalid. but i don't remember what company or product this was for or if it was overturned in a higher court.

A breach of terms of service is not synonymous with law, is why it's not illegal. There would not be a criminal charge for violating terms of service. 

They can make a claim against you in a court, however you aren't committing a criminal offence unless you're breaking a law like theft, IP infringement, etc...using an activator to circumvent their activation would be a criminal offence. 

Spoiler

Spoiler