Packet loss suddenly 126% !?

Mark Kaine
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

I would trust Windows CMD or Linux Terminal to give me a better representation of packet loss than an online based speedtest program. Run a ping, let it go for 5 mins, 15, or more if you like. Record the packet loss (if there's any). If the client reports little to no packet loss then Ookla's % is far far off from true. Especially considering it's a negative number and is >100%. That's not feasible.

How bad is this...? 

http://imgur.com/a/bUmxbN6

Checked cables,  reset router... No change. 

It's just odd because I never had this before today,  it was always 0% packet loss  so not sure if this is an error or what. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

call your ISP.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, Levent said:

call your ISP.

No. There is nothing wrong

If you are going to call you need more information than a bugged app

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No. There is nothing wrong

If you are going to call you need more information than a bugged app

I just pinged Google... 30 packets sent, 0% loss 

So it *does* look like Ookla is f^ once again... Not the first time,  just the first time it's showing me high packet loss,  constantly... 

And you're almost right,  because I did call my ISPs sometimes and they *will*  tell you if there's a general issue at least usually so you know if it's an issue on their end most likely or not - but it can also be they'll say there's nothing,  so yeah. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I just pinged Google... 30 packets sent, 0% loss 

So it *does* look like Ookla is f^ once again... Not the first time,  just the first time it's showing me high packet loss,  constantly... 

And you're almost right,  because I did call my ISPs sometimes and they *will*  tell you if there's a general issue at least usually so you know if it's an issue on their end most likely or not - but it can also be they'll say there's nothing,  so yeah. 

Testing packetoss with speed test will always get you packet loss. It's how TCP and their algorithm work. Test with the site and others like fast.com before jumping to conclusions.

And no, calling them over packet loss in a speed test app is not the go to answer. Sure they can tell you when something is wrong but when it comes to packet loss it's not always a cut and dry reason why.

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Testing packetoss with speed test will always get you packet loss. It's how TCP and their algorithm work. Test with the site and others like fast.com before jumping to conclusions.

And no, calling them over packet loss in a speed test app is not the go to answer. Sure they can tell you when something is wrong but when it comes to packet loss it's not always a cut and dry reason why.

Couple of thousand test on my app say otherwise (0%) but ok. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Couple of thousand test on my app say otherwise (0%) but ok. 

It's near worthless to call them because unless it's an issue effecting everything and causing actual application problems and downloads to fail then either there is misreporting of packet loss in the application or the fault is not within the control of the ISP so would be pointless to ring them.

You'll know when you have an actual problem with your connection because you'll have trouble using it at all, for anything. When that happens the problem is almost always between your house and the road side distribution.

Internet is just a giant Jenga tower where every block is a different person/entity, only takes one of them to make the tower fall over. Oh and there is a Jenga tower per service/website so good luck trying to actually find root cause of issue when nobody has any real overall insight at all.

Also that picture of yours shows negative packet loss which is clearly just a math error/bug. Negative loss is impossible and so is more than 100%, unless your network has found a way to create packets from nothing (magic maybe?).

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's near worthless to call them because unless it's an issue effecting everything

Yeah, well, that's why it's worth it imo,  this ISP has a lot of issues, usually regionally, I just didn't want to call them outright... But I didn't know what to to either,  I only got the idea of pinging Google because I looked for packet loss tests.

It's a bit mysterious why speedtest app suddenly gives me those results though ... seems kinda useless if it's not reliable. 

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

When that happens the problem is almost always between your house and the road side distribution.

Which then would be my ISP again I guess.  :D

They're not like generally bad,  but often appear rather help and clueless... at least it's better than my previous ISP who only rented the line from them and apparently couldn't do anything - except sending out new routers (which never did anything of course lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I would trust Windows CMD or Linux Terminal to give me a better representation of packet loss than an online based speedtest program. Run a ping, let it go for 5 mins, 15, or more if you like. Record the packet loss (if there's any). If the client reports little to no packet loss then Ookla's % is far far off from true. Especially considering it's a negative number and is >100%. That's not feasible.

45 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Yeah, haha, thanks man,  that minus sign threw me off I guess... 

It's probably just some server issue thing - I tried several test servers,  but still... 

And yep, I ran 30 pings in CMD and no packet loss at all! So I guess it's fine. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah, haha, thanks man,  that minus sign threw me off I guess... 

It's probably just some server issue thing - I tried several test servers,  but still... 

And yep, I ran 30 pings in CMD and no packet loss at all! So I guess it's fine. 

If you start to experience the types of issues leadeater was describing then we can talk about having massive packet loss issues. If the several servers you tested were all while using the Ookla service then that just kind of confirms that the inaccuracy was a result of the Ookla service itself not a connection issue between you and the servers being contacted.