What to do with AMD Wraith Prism RGB?

Hello guys,

I'm going to build a PC in March and using an AMD CPU (probably Ryzen 7 3700X, maybe Ryzen 5 3600), so I'll get an AMD Wraith Prism RGB.

A friend recommended me to not use the stock cooler, so I'm buying a Scythe Fuma 2, but I'm wondering what I could do with the AMD Wraith besides selling it?

Could I use it as second CPU fan or as case fan?

Nothing really- I suppose you could take off the shroud and use it as a fan, but it would do fuck all

But that cooler is fine, no need to replace it with the fuma

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Keep it as a backup, you might buy a used Ryzen CPU for another system down the line or need to donate it to a friend. Clients have bought stock coolers from me as upgrades, going from a wraith stealth to a prism is nice.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I replaced my stock cooler that came with the 2600. It does work 'fine', but wouldnt recommend for OC. Put my H105 on it, but had that from last build so cost was zero.
As far using it for something other than it was meant for, doubt it.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

33 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Nothing really- I suppose you could take off the shroud and use it as a fan, but it would do fuck all

But that cooler is fine, no need to replace it with the fuma

Damn, I thought it would at least work as an extra case fan.

But that's great to hear that I don't need to replace it with the fuma. I'm going to save some bucks there.

26 minutes ago, TheEpicDuck said:

Just looked at mine and it doesn't seem like it uses regular fan connectors/ Mounting locations so mine is staying in the box

So it's basically a backup. Might I ask which CPU cooler you use instead?

13 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Keep it as a backup, you might buy a used Ryzen CPU for another system down the line or need to donate it to a friend. Clients have bought stock coolers from me as upgrades, going from a wraith stealth to a prism is nice.

That's a great idea. Slottr mentioned that the Wraith is fine as CPU cooler, so I consider keeping it as backup or as CPU cooler in the beginning, so I'd save some bucks.

6 minutes ago, Wingfan said:

I replaced my stock cooler that came with the 2600. It does work 'fine', but wouldnt recommend for OC. Put my H105 on it, but had that from last build so cost was zero.
As far using it for something other than it was meant for, doubt it.

I'm not planning to OC - atleast in the beginning. So it should work fine for me in the beginning and I could replace it if I change my mind about OC?

---

Thank you all for your quick answers!

I didn't expect to get a single answer that fast :)

Use the Wraith Prism first. If you're not satisfied with it, you can replace it later.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.