Anyone here any have experiance with Intel RMA on cpu?

I'm thinking about buying a 7980XE, when inquiring on one such opportunity I asked about warranty as with such an expensive (at least to someone like me) CPU, we want warranty as it's for business use. However the seller doesn't have an original receipt and was given a "warranty replacement receipt" as his first CPU died.

I have cut out the details but I wanted to know if I could use this incase I needed warranty support during the period it is covered?

82019057_2389210278060406_2861642933008859136_n.jpg

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

In 20 years of working with Intel CPU's, both mobile and desktop, undervolting and overvolting, I have yet to have one die on me. I wouldn't be too concerned but I'm sure Intel will replace a chip as long as it wasn't lapped, delidded, or otherwise damaged due to negligence as long as it's still under warranty.  

4 minutes ago, Founders said:

In 20 years of working with Intel CPU's, both mobile and desktop, undervolting and overvolting, I have yet to have one die on me. I wouldn't be too concerned but I'm sure Intel will replace a chip as long as it wasn't lapped, delidded, or otherwise damaged due to negligence as long as it's still under warranty.  

I too have not had a cpu die on me, however I have had RAM and motherboards die on me so it is unfortunately possible.

When I have RMA parts in the past every one of the companies has requested the serial number of the part and a purchase receipt, is Intel different?

Monitor: Alienware AW2518HF CPU: 9900K @ 5.1GHz Heatsink: 2x360MM Custom Loop GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 2x8GB 4400Mhz Mobo: Asus Maximus XI Gene Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 PSU: Corsair RM1000x Storage: Seagate Firecuda 510 2TB M.2, Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 256GB M.2

Hope you're getting a very good price as a 7980XE makes little sense nowadays.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, remus243 said:

I too have not had a cpu die on me, however I have had RAM and motherboards die on me so it is unfortunately possible.

When I have RMA parts in the past every one of the companies has requested the serial number of the part and a receipt, is Intel different?

I never said it wasn't possible, it's just rare. If you have to do an RMA they'll ask for the SN. The warranty period is determined in one of two ways. If the original owner provided proof of purchase then that's the warranty start date. If there is no proof of purchase then the warranty support starts on the manufacturing date of the CPU. Intel does the same thing. 

1 minute ago, Founders said:

I never said it wasn't possible, it's just rare. If you have to do an RMA they'll ask for the SN. The warranty period is determined in one of two ways. If the original owner provided proof of purchase then that's the warranty start date. If there is no proof of purchase then the warranty support starts on the manufacturing date of the CPU. Intel does the same thing. 

So under normal circumstances you don't need a purchase receipt?

That's interesting I always thought you needed both SN and receipt, and one of those was directly to Gigabyte for a Z390 Master?

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000006160/services.html

What information do I need to provide?

The following information is required to process warranty requests:

4 minutes ago, remus243 said:

If your still worried you could try contacting Intel directly

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

7 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

If your still worried you could try contacting Intel directly

I was hoping for a quick answer but I think you're right

Just now, remus243 said:

I was hoping for a quick answer but I think you're right

Its always a good idea to contact them directly tbh 

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

1 minute ago, remus243 said:

So under normal circumstances you don't need a purchase receipt?

That's interesting I always thought you needed both SN and receipt, and one of those was directly to Gigabyte for a Z390 Master?

If a company is operating in the US you're protected from any type of conditional warranty restrictions e.g. product registration, providing proof of purchase. If a product is sold with a warranty they're required to honor it until it ends with or without a receipt. (End date determined by the original manufacturing date without receipt)  Some companies try to maneuver their way out of honoring it as some people will just give up on cheaper items. Something more expensive like a CPU is a different scenario.  

Check your warranty status here