Which silent but good cpu cooler to buy?

Overtime
Go to solution Solved by BigDamn,

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is still a highly regarded cooler at it's price point. With the stock setup it'll be near silent and certainly do better than 95 degrees (which is seriously awful btw, fix that shit). It also includes mounting brackets for a second fan should you choose to add one, which I recommend you do if you're overclocking.

I have a 2600x that currently reaches 95 degrees (while underclocked to 3450MHz) under full constant load. I want a new cooler that not only is very quiet, but can also have great performance and let me actually get the best overclock I can.

If possible I don't want to spend too much money as it isn't that big of an issue.

Any brands/specific models of coolers I can replace it with? Thanks

(I am using the stock cooler and stock paste the cpu came with)

8f3925dde5c44e3483c32bcdb9367560.png.15d0931097f2de02959d7a8146d10b6f.png

If you want to go air cooling, I would go with noctua. Noctua makes some really high quality stuff which is dead silent. with a 2600x you wouldn't need a supper big cooler. something like an nh-u12s would work great.

2 minutes ago, blorkborkey said:

If you want to go air cooling, I would go with noctua. Noctua makes some really high quality stuff which is dead silent. with a 2600x you wouldn't need a supper big cooler. something like an nh-u12s would work great.

That cooler is more than half the price of my cpu itself, is there anything cheaper around the same quality?

9 minutes ago, Overtime said:

That cooler is more than half the price of my cpu itself, is there anything cheaper around the same quality?

You asked for a extremely well performing cooler that's very silent, that's the market for those.

An esports 33 is decent, but louder and doesn't perform as well as the U12S

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 minutes ago, Overtime said:

is there anything cheaper around the same quality?

If you want silence you have to pay for it. Other silent but good coolers also cost a pretty penny.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is still a highly regarded cooler at it's price point. With the stock setup it'll be near silent and certainly do better than 95 degrees (which is seriously awful btw, fix that shit). It also includes mounting brackets for a second fan should you choose to add one, which I recommend you do if you're overclocking.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

In my opinion, noctua would be the best, but, yes, they are very expensive. You could maybe get a hyper 212 from cooler master, i haven't used it, but I have been told its good for the cost.

3 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

It's good, but when it comes to silence, not the best option imho.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

It's good, but when it comes to silence, not the best option.

You're right, but since OP is worried about price but hasn't specified an actual price range I posted what I believe to be the best value cooler.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

Wife has an 8700 nonk on an Arctic Freezer 33 with a 4.4ghz OC, and it is silent and also temps stay under 65 in stress tests.

Also only $24

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, BigDamn said:

You're right, but since OP is worried about price but hasn't specified an actual price range I posted what I believe to be the best value cooler.

Value for the money is really great, I'm one of those crazy people who love silence so you mentioning it being near silent triggered me :D Sorry about that :D

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

and it is silent

Hearing loss maybe? :D i had that cooler installed for my friend with same cpu, it's far cry from silent.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Value for the money is really great, I'm one of those crazy people who love silence so you mentioning it being near silent triggered me :D Sorry about that :D

I am the same way... went for a custom loop mostly cause I needed it to be dead silent. but for a cpu cooler, I would say the 212 would be a good choice, to get a silent cooler, you have to spend a bunch more money

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Hearing loss maybe? :D i had that cooler installed for my friend with same cpu, it's far cry from silent.

Shrug

Seems very quiet to me.

Of course it's going to ramp up during a stress test, but during normal use you can't hear it.

Also, Vega 64 reference is in it too. So that's gonna overpower anything making noise anyway during regular use.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Wife has an 8700 nonk on an Arctic Freezer 33 with a 4.4ghz OC, and it is silent and also temps stay under 65 in stress tests.

Also only $24

Looks great, but sadly it costs $60 for me in Canada (from amazon)

My cryorig h7 quad limit is "silent" as well on my 5ghz 8700k.

But sure, beat me over the head for saying it's "silent" lol

13 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Looks like a great choice and is pretty cheap, ill probably end up buying this unless something better comes up. Thanks for all your help!

3 minutes ago, Overtime said:

Looks like a great choice and is pretty cheap, ill probably end up buying this unless something better comes up. Thanks for all your help!

I hear good things about the "snowman" Chinese cooler in terms of cheap.

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I hear good things about the "snowman" Chinese cooler in terms of cheap.

Looks kind of sketchy, it isn't on Amazon and it costs $55 on other websites/sellers, I'd rather just buy the cooler master which is at least a known brand for $35.

2 minutes ago, Overtime said:

Looks kind of sketchy, it isn't on Amazon and it costs $55 on other websites/sellers, I'd rather just buy the cooler master which is at least a known brand for $35.

It's something you get on AliExpress

It's supposed to be great value for $17, better than the prism.

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Not sure if I'd personally trust something that cheap to work well for all the years I plan on using it for, but ill check it out and if it's genuinely a good cooler, it seems like a great buy. Thanks for your suggestion!

1 minute ago, Overtime said:

Not sure if I'd personally trust something that cheap to work well for all the years I plan on using it for, but ill check it out and if it's genuinely a good cooler, it seems like a great buy. Thanks for your suggestion!

I mean, I didn't buy it. LOL

Just if price is a huge issue then seems the snowman is highly regarded.

Realistically, what's the worst that could happen? Fan dies replace with a better one.

I got the Freezer 33 because we just needed a suitable cooler for a stockish 8700 and the OEM Intel one is trash.

38 minutes ago, Overtime said:

If there was no one would buy the noctua.  The hyper212 had a rep for a long time.  It’s cheaper but not as powerful.  It does it’s cheap silence thing by using a sleeve bearing fan, so it does it but not for a really long time.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I’ve heard this cooler is pretty hard to find in the original winning version of for that price though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

How much are scythe coolers in your area