Dell's XPS 13 lineup just CRUSHED it.

AlexTheGreatish

Dell has somehow crammed SIX cores into a 13” notebook.. meaning this could be the fastest ultrabook on the market.

Buy Dell XPS 13
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/M4biOR
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/Cb0Cn

Buy Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0PkY1
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/SNGGt

29 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

this could be the fastest ultrabook on the market

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-x/X1-Extreme-Gen-2/p/22TP2TXX1E2

okie linus

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

One thing y'all missed was battery life for both machines.

And it would have been better if you got more detailed with office/business/general browsing like usage.

PSA: You can save $180 on a non 2-in-1 XPS 13 if you search for the "Developer Edition" on Dell's site under "for work". However, it comes with a Dell configured Ubuntu preinstalled instead of windows.

If you are up for the work, you could always snag a cheap OEM key from a reseller (assuming you don't have a key lying around), and still save >$150.

I managed to snag the laptop on sale for $220 off (in addition to the $180 discount) and got it for only about $1000 (before tax) with the i7 10710u 16 gigs ram 512 gig ssd, and the 1080p panel option, which would be around $1400 normally, and am running Arch Linux on it now.

Do note though that the Developer edition lacks a fingerprint sensor (there are no Linux drivers for it, something about encryption making homebrewing one impossible), and you are limited to the Silver + black color option. I was a bit bummed about the fingerprint sensor, but honestly it was worth the money I was saving.

Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.75* RAM: 2 by 8gb G.Skill Flare X 2400 @2666* GPU Strix GTX 1070 @1880-ish

Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500gb; 2x 2tb Seagate Barracuda Drives; 1tb hdd (It died after 4 years :();

Laptop: (HP Stream 11-y010nr "Spent all my money on my Desktop" Edition)

CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 @160 BILLION hertz RAM: 400 BILLION bytes Samsung DDR3L @160 BILLION hertz 

GPUIntel HIGH DEFINITION Graphics @32 BILLION hertz

Storage: 32 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE emmc C drive with 64 TRILLION bytes of SOLID STATE microSD card D drive.

*Overclocked around 25% of the time... questionably stable.

I have the 2015 XPS 13. I modded mine with a new SSD (m.2 sata) that boots Windows 7. It's a great laptop for browsing and movie watching, office and even casual gaming. I run a custom resolution on mine because the native res is just impractical even with Windows scaling applied. I don't miss the touch screen at all since I use a wireless trackball.

Battery life is OK, but I will give Dell a MASSIVE thumbs down for not offering for sale replacement batteries on their parts store, especially considering that they are end-user replaceable. Hunting for one can be a challenge and the BIOS will reject knock off batteries. I was fortunate to find a Dell OEM one on Newegg for my particular model.

Linus: "If you want an ultrabook to satisfy your gaming itch on-the-go, the Razer Blade Stealth GTX is your only worthwhile option."

*AHEM*

What about Maingear Element or Eluktronics MAG-15 Slim? You get double the performance and a 144hz display for a pound more at the same price!

2 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

That's a way bigger laptop, more comparable to the XPS 15 that has the same processor.

Bigger in terms of screen size. Still is an ultrabook.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

to be totally honest i'd be happier with a slower laptop that won't blast the fans for everything you do... 

i mean this is coming from someone daily driving a 2012 MacBook Pro and i get all the performance i need out of it and it's quiet enough (after replaciing the thermal paste) that it rarely revs up. it only does during system updates or when i juggle 50+ tabs and a VM. 

6 cores in a laptop that small is really really cool, but a cpu running at 91 degrees makes me uncomfortable, so i wouldn't buy one. i'll wait for the chips that aren't 14nm++++++++ so they'll hopefully be able to make a 6-core laptop that runs more efficient. 

She/Her

I'll start considering Dells again when r/dell stops being covered by the exact same problems on the exact same XPS models. It's kind of a joke at this point.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Your insistence on touchscreens being a good idea for laptops is making me question everything else you say about tech, Linus.

6 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I'll start considering Dells again when r/dell stops being covered by the exact same problems on the exact same XPS models. It's kind of a joke at this point.

Agreed, as an XPS user I really wish Dell were held to account on this. This video has no mention of those issues so to be really honest it just amounts to a superficial look at the specs and dimensions.

3 hours ago, Granular said:

Your insistence on touchscreens being a good idea for laptops is making me question everything else you say about tech, Linus.

Why, what’s the difference? You can still use the machine as a standard laptop so it doesn’t hinder your workflow at all if you’re using it for any type of productivity. If you’re just sitting on your couch browsing the web you can fold it over if you want and use it as a tablet-like experience. If the argument is price, I get that, but there are plenty of 2-in-1’s that cost a lot less then an XPS 13

3 hours ago, Founders said:

Why, what’s the difference?

It adds screen glare, thickness, weight, cost and temptation for people to smear dirt on their screens.
On top of that, touchscreens are terrible input devices, whose entire existence is can only be excused by a lack of alternatives for phones. A touchpad is a superior input device since you need to move your finger less on the smaller surface than on a larger screen.

24 minutes ago, Granular said:

It adds screen glare, thickness, weight, cost and temptation for people to smear dirt on their screens. On top of that, touchscreens are terrible input devices, whose entire existence is can only be excused by a lack of alternatives for phones.

• screen glare - fair point
  • thickness and weight - They’re ultrabooks, you’re arguing over the difference of millimeters and grams. If size is of that much concern buy a tablet which has a perfectly fine user interface.
  • smears and dirt - a microfiber is your friend
  • touch screens - if they’re so terrible why are they implemented everywhere? You mentioned phones but what about: cars, POS systems, kiosks, ATM’s, CNC machines, the list goes on? What are the excuses for using touch screens in all of these applications?

Laptops are a hard market, good to just see some decent upgrades there. 

More importantly, you guys, somehow, in the mixing went full echo mode at about 5:40 in.  I'm sure you noticed this, but just saying this incase you might think people didn't notice.  Actually im wrong its in most of the video, almost all of it. 

tbh, these laptops cool but until a properly cheap thing, respectable laptop can come out that fits some form of gaming standards, and workplace needs for >800$, bleh

I know vancouver is expensive place to live in so its easy to forget how most people live, and likewise pushing the best of the best tech is your forte, but 1600$ is about what most people live on in a year for food in NA, let alone 2nd or 3rd world forget about it, just saying, still love you wish ya best of luck ❤️

It´s a scam that dell sells their xps 13 still with 8th gen here in Germany for full price

Its using low voltage soldered on DDR3.

Why after upgrading to new 10 generation Intel processors they still using LPDDR3?

why can't they switch to LPDDR4, especially since its using integrated graphics.

LPDDR4 is so much better

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/lpddr4/

does the Intel chipset not support it? Or they using older motherboard design with the new processor?

whatever the reason very disappointing!

@AlexTheGreatish Having recently acquired the XPS 13 2-in-1 7390 (4K, 32gb, 1TB) I'm shocked at the battery life being below par. 3-4 hours at most. I've read reddit posts suggesting disabling the Killer Wifi Service and Power Management profiles but these seem to make no improvement. I'll undervolt if necessary but Dell voiding warranties seems undesirable. But Linus/ the team notice any of these issues?

7 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

For full price, also introducing RTX graphics card! 2060 is the highest you'll get

Wait a minute!
Are you refering to the xps 13 or 15? Xps 13 here has only integrated graphics while even the best xps 15 only has only a gtx 16XX and no rtx.

I consider buying the xps 15 if dell upgrades from 9th gen to 10th  gen. but not if I only get a gtx 16XX while people in other countries get a rtx 2XXX.

I did some digging and the Intel chipset does support lpddr4

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/docs/processors/core/10th-gen-core-mobile-processors-brief.html

This makes Dell implementation disappointing using older motherboard design without support

It's not like you can upgrade later the things are soldered on I will pass

Memory

• DDR4 up to 3200, LPDDR4/x 3733

22 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Dell has somehow crammed SIX cores into a 13” notebook.. meaning this could be the fastest ultrabook on the market.

Buy Dell XPS 13
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/M4biOR
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/Cb0Cn

Buy Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0PkY1
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://lmg.gg/SNGGt

As mentioned no LPDDR4 even when newer processor chipset supports it.

Hard pass!

2 minutes ago, Drypebble said:

@AlexTheGreatish Having recently acquired the XPS 13 2-in-1 7390 (4K, 32gb, 1TB) I'm shocked at the battery life being below par. 3-4 hours at most. I've read reddit posts suggesting disabling the Killer Wifi Service and Power Management profiles but these seem to make no improvement. I'll undervolt if necessary but Dell voiding warranties seems undesirable. But Linus/ the team notice any of these issues?

That is odd.  I'm guessing you've dropped the screen brightness and keyboard back light to a reasonable level.  It's hard to say for sure because maybe you have like a moving desktop background or something, but it is possible you have a defective unit.  Without trying we've been easily able to get a whole day out of one.

1 minute ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

That is odd.  I'm guessing you've dropped the screen brightness and keyboard back light to a reasonable level.  It's hard to say for sure because maybe you have like a moving desktop background or something, but it is possible you have a defective unit.  Without trying we've been easily able to get a whole day out of one.

Screen Brightness at 60-75% and keyboard at middle backlight setting. No moving wallpapers or anything silly either :/ Guess I'll have to contact Dell support.