Intel ME and BCLK overclocking.

we all know that BCLK overclocking has been shut-downed by intel from a long time when they pushed a new microcode to stop BCLK overclocking for skylake motherboards.

now BCLK is hidden in kabylake and coffelake non-k completely and will appear only on K-sku processors, however setting that above 102-103 will prevent system from booting at all even for these K variants.

I am wondering if using me_cleaner to delete most of ME region in UEFI bios raw file will reveal BCLK option again in bios with any Intel processor on any chip H,B or Z and will stop IME from preventing system startup when setting higher values in BCLK Frequency.

I used UEFI tool to compare setup section of Z390 motherboard and H310 one from the same manufacturer (did that for 2 ASUS and  2 GIGABYTE). I found almost the same data beside some changes in headers that is all so that may means BCLK option is not hidden by bios main block.

ASUS seems to enable write/read access for ME region while GIGABYTE has locked that so SPI programmer is needed to force changes.

the thing is that I was not able to execute me_cleaner.py on windows with either python 2 and python 3 so looks like Linux is needed and I don't have Linux installed on any of my hard drives. so I thought if I asked here, maybe someone has tried that already and may share his experience with me so I can know before going head to install Linux or use a Linux drive with python.

I have the MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE.

By defaul the BCLK  100.8Mhz, thhis is weird... 

Even going to Bios and changing the value to 100Mhz, after re booting it will be again 100.8Mhz...?

Why did MSI did that? 

Annotation 2019-12-30 170809.png

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

16 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I have the MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE.

By defaul the BCLK  100.8Mhz, thhis is weird... 

Even going to Bios and changing the value to 100Mhz, after re booting it will be again 100.8Mhz...?

Why did MSI did that? 

Annotation 2019-12-30 170809.png

do you have XMP enabled?

31 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

do you have XMP enabled?

Yes.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

21 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Yes.

that why you see it 100.8 then. once the profile set no matter what you do, BCLK will remain as is from the profile.

Just now, Islam Ghunym said:

that why you see it 100.8 then. once the profile set no matter what you do, BCLK will remain as is from the profile.

Isn't MSI kinda cheating? 

Just now, Constantin said:

Isn't MSI kinda cheating? 

nope that how XMP works, it sets a certain timings and frequencies

nope that how XMP works, it sets a certain timings and frequencies

i have deal with many PC's, unabling XMP never affect BCLK!!!

i have deal with many PC's, unabling XMP never affect BCLK!!!

it does sometimes idk. I experienced such a thing with 8700k and BCLK was 103.5!

103.5!

this number is to high, it can mess up several things (ram, cpu, pci, ect...)

this number is to high, it can mess up several things (ram, cpu, pci, ect...)

form skylake to today it only affects memory and CPU nothing else, not even CPU cache

For everyone who is asking my question: I found the answer

IME or BIOS/UEFI has nothing to do with intel's lock on BCLK when it gets more than 102 for most samples. The lock seems to be through the chipset itself and only MB manufacturers can modify those chips to enable BCLK OC. No matter what I did no Intel ME downgrading, using different microcodes and even killing and removing. Even if BCLK option is right there and even if Intel ME is dead with highly moded bios you simply can't get anything higher than 103 so the theory of BCLK lock through software/firmware is completely wrong.

Why would you want to bclock anyway on a k chip ? FYI when I got my board and chip I tested b clock oc and I got stable at 107 

you have to tune your memory speed back down 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, Ebony Falcon said:

Why would you want to bclock anyway on a k chip ? FYI when I got my board and chip I tested b clock oc and I got stable at 107 

you have to tune your memory speed back down 

I suggest you read the topic again so you can understand what is it exactly.

• 3 years later...

I'm excited about overclocking non k, I won't hesitate to continue the age-old thread. https://skatterbencher.com/intel-bclk-governor/

I've asked gigabyte to unlock bclk option so I can overclock bclk to 103mhz

this is the reply: 

As much as we'd like to support you, the H110 chipset from Intel locks the option to overclock along with the processor.

Even if we unlock the options in the BIOS, the processor itself does not allow adjustments.

Even if you use a K series CPU, the Intel Chipset has limitations to lock the overclock capabilities.

DRAM multilier should be limited, therefore even if it is adjustable, the CPU does not allow the overclocking.