New Build for 4K Photoshopping

arnekick

Hi will this hardware be good for 4K Photoshopping or is there something i should change i am happy to listen.

My budget is 2000 euros.

get a samsung 970 pro, qlc is gonna be the bane of your existence with the large files you work with

the specific reason I recommend pro is that it is able to maintain the boost transfer speeds vs the non pro which drops speeds after about 30 sec. I know that with transferring tons of photos, the speed of the drive could be the difference of a 1 hour wait and a overnight wait.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

15 minutes ago, arnekick said:

Hi will this hardware be good for 4K Photoshopping or is there something i should change i am happy to listen.

My budget is 2000 euros.

Will there be any gaming or is it strictly 4K Photoshopping

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

1 minute ago, jakeslayer9091 said:

Will there be any gaming or is it strictly 4K Photoshopping

A little bit

4 minutes ago, arnekick said:

A little bit

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($749.00 @ Best Buy) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($188.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($167.93 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda Pro 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($136.10 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2035.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-29 05:08 EST-0500

Changes I made:
- Added 1tb m.2 ssd, upgrade to ryzen 9 3950x

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

10 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

the specific reason I recommend pro is that it is able to maintain the boost transfer speeds vs the non pro which drops speeds after about 30 sec. I know that with transferring tons of photos, the speed of the drive could be the difference of a 1 hour wait and a overnight wait.

Overnight wait even with slowest QLC SSD would be only if you're transferring several TBs of photos lol. And there's a good amount of very fast TLC drives that have good transfer speeds and cost twice less than Samsung 970 Pro, even Samsung 970 Evo (Plus) isn't that slow as you're describing. But i agree on QLC not being a good choice either way.

24 minutes ago, arnekick said:

My budget is 2000 euros.

Why US build then ? Where are you from ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Or get a pcie 4.0 drive, probably the same price as the samsung pro, but faster

can u link a good one

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Overnight wait even with slowest QLC SSD would be only if you're transferring several TBs of photos lol. And there's a good amount of very fast TLC drives that have good transfer speeds and cost twice less than Samsung 970 Pro, even Samsung 970 Evo (Plus) isn't that slow as you're describing. But i agree on QLC not being a good choice either way.

Why US build then ? Where are you from ?

Belgium and in my country thats 1800 euros +-

1 minute ago, Juular said:

The pro has a longer life span as well, just for someone who can't risk having their boot drive and software fail on them.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

so I took another look at your list, and there is room for improvement if you're willing to spend more
First: a ryzen 9 3900x, it is $200 more for 4 more and faster cores, really helpful in terms of editing.
Second: a back up drive, run raid 1 so that your data can never be corrupted. important for professionals to expect the worst.
Second.5: get wd red or seagate ironwolf, you cannot have a customers data lost.
Second.athirdtime: If you're as paranoidprofessional as me, also back it up externally.

Third: there are some better options for motherboard when it comes to vrm for the ryzen 9, you may want to spend more.

Fourth: invest the remainder of the budget on the best gpu you can afford.

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

so I took another look at your list, and there is room for improvement if you're willing to spend more
First: a ryzen 9 3900x, it is $200 more for 4 more and faster cores, really helpful in terms of editing.
Second: a back up drive, run raid 1 so that your data can never be corrupted. important for professionals to expect the worst.
Second.5: get wd red or seagate ironwolf, you cannot have a customers data lost.
Second.athirdtime: If you're as paranoidprofessional as me, also back it up externally.

Third: there are some better options for motherboard when it comes to vrm for the ryzen 9, you may want to spend more.

Fourth: invest the remainder of the budget on the best gpu you can afford.

Ok thanks ill take a look into it

Just now, arnekick said:

@Jumballi It is more as a hobby tho not neccesarily for people

ah sorry, I just assumed it was for work. in take case throw everything I said about drives out the door.

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

ah sorry, I just assumed it was for work. in take case throw everything I said about drives out the door.

WIch better motherboard do you recommend?

3 minutes ago, arnekick said:

WIch better motherboard do you recommend?

I'm not the most well informed on this, but since pcie 4.0 must be implemented on x570 boards, and it is such an expensive feature, that boards that used to cost $150 are now $300. This cause some manufacturers to cheap out on places like the vrm, which are more important if you do plan to go with the ryzen 9.

I'd start around Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA, which is $100 more, but I've heard good things about this one.

I'd only take this advice if you 100% plan to go with the ryzen 9, the previous one isn't bad for the ryzen 7, but it could be better.

I'm not the most well informed on this, but since pcie 4.0 must be implemented on x570 boards, and it is such an expensive feature, that boards that used to cost $150 are now $300. This cause some manufacturers to cheap out on places like the vrm, which are more important if you do plan to go with the ryzen 9.

I'd start around Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA, which is $100 more, but I've heard good things about this one.

I'd only take this advice if you 100% plan to go with the ryzen 9, the previous one isn't bad for the ryzen 7, but it could be better.

Ok thx for the info isnt the bios from gigabyte bad? i heard its not as good

3 minutes ago, arnekick said:

sadly I don't know much about bios quality, I know that gigabyte is a trusted brand and I remember someone saying the vrm on this one is beefy, which is visible when it's compared to other same price alternatives.

sadly I don't know much about bios quality, I know that gigabyte is a trusted brand and I remember someone saying the vrm on this one is beefy, which is visible when it's compared to other same price alternatives.

Yes that is true

43 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

The pro has a longer life span as well, just for someone who can't risk having their boot drive and software fail on them.

Irrelevant, even QLC NVMe SSDs have at least 300TBW for 1TB model, that's more than two complete drive rewrites per month for 10 years, you're not gonna exhaust it. And it's multiple times more for TLC drives, especially high-end ones if we're talking about high sustained write speeds.

25 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

23 minutes ago, arnekick said:

Why ? They already choose very good X570 board, and Gigabyte X570 boards are actually worse in the way that they have 16MB ROM.

But there are no point in going for X570 for PCIe 4.0 SSD only, there's a lot of good PCIe 3.0 drives and PCIe 4.0 drives don't have better sustained write speeds, only sequential and B450 boards are enough for Ryzen 7 even Ryzen 9 if you're not going for extreme OC.

44 minutes ago, arnekick said:

Belgium and in my country thats 1800 euros +-

Oh, i've made a build for you yesterday already, you wasn't satistifed with it ?

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Irrelevant, even QLC NVMe SSDs have at least 300TBW for 1TB model, that's more than two complete drive rewrites per month for 10 years, you're not gonna exhaust it. And it's multiple times more for TLC drives, especially high-end ones if we're talking about high sustained write speeds.

Why ? They already choose very good X570 board, and Gigabyte X570 boards are actually worse in the way that they have 16MB ROM.

But there are no point in going for X570 for PCIe 4.0 SSD only, there's a lot of good PCIe 3.0 drives and PCIe 4.0 drives don't have better sustained write speeds, only sequential and B450 boards are enough for Ryzen 7 even Ryzen 9 if you're not going for extreme OC.

Oh, i've made a build for you yesterday already, you wasn't satistifed with it ?

I was satisfied but i chose simaler parts from different stoires here and the psu from another brand to reduce the price

9 minutes ago, arnekick said:

@Juular Hi last thing i have now this my only question left is should i go with a 3700 or a 3900

Even 3600 would be okay technically, i've choose 3800X specifically for you because it has better boost clocks but 3700X would do too, 3900X is just overkill.

15 minutes ago, Juular said:

Even 3600 would be okay technically, i've choose 3800X specifically for you because it has better boost clocks but 3700X would do too, 3900X is just overkill.

With the 3800 i will be able to do nice 4k photoshoping if i want right