Pcie 4.0 SSD. Heatsink or not?

asheenlevrai

Hi ?

I recently purchased an x570-based motherboard as well as a Firecuda 520 pcie 4.0 SSD that doesn't come with a heatsink.

The motherboard has two m.2 slots. The one linked to the CPU doesn't have a heatsink. The one linked to the chipset has a heatsink but I guess the performance of the SSD would be suboptimal if I use this ONE (since the shared pcie lines), right?

I looked into if it was necessary to add a heatsink to my new SSD. It seems like the controller would benefit from cooler temps (to avoid throttling) while the NAND prefers higher temperature. Many also say that in real life scenario it is very unlikely that the SSD would throttle but I don't know if I am convinced.

now if I decide to buy a heatsink I have different options. Either a full length heatsink that would spread the heat among the controller and the NAND chips. Or a smaller heatsink that would only cover the controller.

something like what Linus used in this video

Around 4:40. Although he put them on the NAND as well apparently.

Any advice?

Thanks

-a-

You’re not impacting performance with the heatsink, just lifespan.

That said a pcie lane is a pcie lane, whether it’s cpu or chipset so don’t hurt yourself over it and just use the included heatsink.

A server gets so much air into the components that it’s probably fine in that scenario. You probably noticed linus turn on the fans in either this video or the new storage video, they are that loud because they can spin up to 15k rpm, that’s 10 times faster than the fastest 140mm fans in your pc, and roughly dozens of times more airflow.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just add an after market electronic heatsinks, they are cheap $5 a set.

Most nvme don't have heatsinks anyway, so i assume it would work normally by not having them.

image.png.128612f8f34346f4bc7e6026b7e4da72.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just get a full heatsink, it will work fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 12/28/2019 at 12:26 PM, Jumballi said:

You’re not impacting performance with the heatsink, just lifespan.

That said a pcie lane is a pcie lane, whether it’s cpu or chipset so don’t hurt yourself over it and just use the included heatsink.

A server gets so much air into the components that it’s probably fine in that scenario. You probably noticed linus turn on the fans in either this video or the new storage video, they are that loud because they can spin up to 15k rpm, that’s 10 times faster than the fastest 140mm fans in your pc, and roughly dozens of times more airflow.

There are only 4 pcie lanes between the chipset and the CPU. The SSD on the second m.2 slot (which is a x4 pcie SSD) would share these 4 lanes with everything else connected to the chipset. Hence the limited perfs if I were to use this slot, right?

22 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Just add an after market electronic heatsinks, they are cheap $5 a set.

Most nvme don't have heatsinks anyway, so i assume it would work normally by not having them.

image.png.128612f8f34346f4bc7e6026b7e4da72.png

Actually, most pcie 4.0 SSD do have Heatsinks.

I was thinking about something like what you posted. But should I put them only on the controller or also on the NAND? Since they wouldn't touch each other, there wouldn't be any heat spread....

2 hours ago, asheenlevrai said:

Actually, most pcie 4.0 SSD do have Heatsinks.

I was thinking about something like what you posted. But should I put them only on the controller or also on the NAND? Since they wouldn't touch each other, there wouldn't be any heat spread....

Well, most popular ssd don't have heatsinks. those things above the chip is just label.

Image result for samsung 970 evo heatsinkImage result for nvmeImage result for nvme

with that type of heatsink you won't need to spread it. the fins is already good enough to dissipate the heat.

I think you should put them both in the nand and controller.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Those are all pictures of PCIe 3.0 drives.

Der8auer did a much more in-depth video about the matter of whether to heatsink or not to heatsink your nvme drive.

tl;dr - The memory controller on these can get really hot when writing in particular. Use a heatsink on the controller, the NAND chips are fine either way.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:53 PM, SupaKomputa said:

Well, most popular ssd don't have heatsinks. those things above the chip is just label.

Image result for samsung 970 evo heatsinkImage result for nvmeImage result for nvme

with that type of heatsink you won't need to spread it. the fins is already good enough to dissipate the heat.

I think you should put them both in the nand and controller.

AFAIK these are all pcie 3.0 SSDs. Most don't have heatsinks. However, most pcie 4.0 SSDs do. Maybe since they are faster they heat more? Dunno really...

On 12/29/2019 at 2:31 PM, Delicious Cake said:

Those are all pictures of PCIe 3.0 drives.

Der8auer did a much more in-depth video about the matter of whether to heatsink or not to heatsink your nvme drive.

tl;dr - The memory controller on these can get really hot when writing in particular. Use a heatsink on the controller, the NAND chips are fine either way.

Thank you so much ?